Atari 2600 programmer Manuel Polik has released the source
code and binaries to Star
Fire. Star Fire is a new Atari 2600 game based on the 1979 arcade
game of the same name created by David Rolfe and Ted Michon and released
by Exidy. Star Fire is a wave-based space shoot'em-up, with several surprises
that you won't find in the original arcade game. It carefully tries to
not only adopt most features of the original, but to enhance the gameplay
where ever possible as well.
Star Fires features include:
- Title tune and warp sequence by Paul Slocum!
- Animated title screen by Thomas Jentzsch!
- Realtime calculation of up to 9 double sized, independent moving space
- Intelligent Anti-Flicker engine!
- 9 different starting waves of increasing difficulty
The source code below provides valuable insight into what it takes to
code a successful Atari 2600 homebrew game. The current source compiles
to both NTSC and PAL with a compile switch. We thank Manuel Polik for
making this source available so others may benefit from his experience.