IGNORED

Battlezone 2000! The game within the game?

Robert M

Hi,

I recently shelled out the big bucks and picked up a copy of Battlezone 2000 for Lynx. I enjoy the game well enough, although I find the missions for points from 2000 to 10000 to be a bit tedious :P

The real reason for this thread is the hidden "3D-game" within the original game. The way to get to this game is detailed on many sites on the web so I won't cover it here.

When I came across the code I assumed it would simply be the same game but with filled polygon graphics instead of vectors. I was surprised to see it is a completely different game! Yes, you are still driving a tank, but the game is completely different. You have much more custimization capability. Pluras you have to pick up parts on the battlefield and install them while still under attack. The goal of the game is not clear. It seems like you are trying to clear all the sectors on a very large map using limited resources. I have found a key, and a spinning pyramid that I think the key will open, but how I haven't determined yet.

I am just amazed, that there is this completely undocumented game within the game. Its not a mini-game or a variation of the main game. Its a completely new game. The frustrating part is there is no documentation provided for this alternate game. I haven't found any on the web either.

So I propose that this thread become a adhoc manual for this new lynx game hidden on the Battlezone cartridge. When you play this game, if you discover something, please add it to the thread.

Regards,

I never really played the 2000 mode for very long. I couldn't figure out what was going on either.

The 2000 mode isn't a hidden game per se, it's the original version of Battlezone 2000. After it was done, Atari didn't think it was very 'Battlezone-like' and made them start over. I'm just amazed that they had enough room on the cart to put in two separate games.

Hi,

[snip]

So I propose that this thread become a adhoc manual for this new lynx game hidden on the Battlezone cartridge.  When you play this game, if you discover something, please add it to the thread.  

Regards,

Actually, the Forhans (Carl and his brother) pretty much have had everything covered for years now except for the codes to all the locked levels (which I found by a string search of the binary before it was a released game).

Harry

Thats cool... I never knew that.

Any scrrenshots for this Battlezone 2000 alternate game mode? :)

Here's a link to a BZ2k review at the Atari Times that has a couple of tiny screenshots of the 'advanced' mode. Looks sweet!

I've been wanting to get BZ2k for a long time now...and mostly because of this alternate mode. I hear that you can ComLynx on the advanced mode as well, any truth to that?

Oh, here's the link:

http://www.ataritimes.com/lynx/reviews/rev_bz2k.html

8)

It's kind of hard to figure out what's going on in 2000 mode. The screen's so cluttered with info. Without instructions, it's too hard to work out what all those gauges do. That's why i've never played 2000 too deeply. Plus having 2000 levels is kind of intimidating.

[clip]

I've been wanting to get BZ2k for a long time now...and mostly because of this alternate mode. I hear that you can ComLynx on the advanced mode as well, any truth to that?  

Yes, you can ComLynx up to 4 players, but it's not easy. Each player has to activate 2000 mode, one at a time.