IGNORED

Rare DS Games & DS Collectors

I've been trying to get a hold of some of the hard-to-find DS games for my collection. What do you think is the rarest North American DS release? I'm interested in knowing what others think because I may have overlooked a game that is on it's way to being out of production or currently isn't being made at all anymore.

I have what I think are the top three:

Monopoly/Yahtzee/Boggle/Battleship

Electroplankton

Worms

I guess the Nintendogs Best Friends version and Lost In Blue are getting to be fairly hard to find but I believe these other three aren't found as often. Actually, I was only able to find one retail outlet online where the Worms game is currently being sold and I almost went that route but found one on ebay recently for a better price.

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

There's a poker game I can't remember the name of that's a really tough find. I know Elf Bowling is getting tough to find as well. Electroplankton is a tough find in stores. Worms is actually easy.

Wario Ware Touched has actually jumped up in value alot lately as well.

I'd say the toughest would be the Game & Watch collection import.

There's a poker game I can't remember the name of that's a really tough find. I know Elf Bowling is getting tough to find as well. Electroplankton is a tough find in stores. Worms is actually easy.

Wario Ware Touched has actually jumped up in value alot lately as well.

I'd say the toughest would be the Game & Watch collection import.

I believe the poker game you are referring to is Texas Hold 'Em Poker Pack and it's not in many stores, I got mine from Fry's Electronics. But, keep in mind that there is a regular Texas Hold 'Em by the Majesco company which is very easy to find.

Elf Bowling is a horrible game but isn't the easiest to find. I bought mine a week or two before Christmas in the bargain game section of Best Buy. Paid $9.99 each, kept one and sold the other on ebay for $24.99.

I don't get out much but I have never seen an Electroplankton or a Worms DS game in a store....new or used. The online Nintendo store has stopped selling them, Amazon no longer sells them so other than getting lucky and finding a used one in a store, ebay is about it for Electroplankton.

I actually have had the hardest time getting a Worms DS game. I searched all the websites I could think of and only found one that is actually selling it new. It is quite expensive from the website so I went to ebay for that one and still ended up paying over $20.

I have also noticed a spike in the WarioWare Touched game on ebay, it's a popular title that many stores no longer carry. I don't think it really is a "rarity" but definately in demand.

I recall seeing Worms for the DS at several stores here in Canada. I haven't looked since Christmas at the DS stuff but I'm sure I'd be able to find it with a little search.

Wario Ware is a funny thing... when I bought it new I was excited and played through it... it sat on the shelf once I finished with it and I always wondered when the price would drop... it never did. I guess Nintendo wanted to milk the title for every cent they could. Now with the demand there and not enough games, perhaps they will do another print run.

I did see Electoplankton at my local EB used before Christmas but I passed on it.

One other title that may be rare is the EB Game exclusive Tenchu game that came out. Didn't hear much about it and now that I think of it... I don't see it anywhere.

One other title that may be rare is the EB Game exclusive Tenchu game that came out. Didn't hear much about it and now that I think of it... I don't see it anywhere.

Tenchu is available new at gamestop.com. It is still $29.99 though. (EDIT 5/23/07 Not Anymore)

I don't know why I had such a hard time finding the Worms DS game.

By the way, check out the DS game I found "in the wild" for $7 yesterday:

post-4103-1179983429_thumb.jpg post-4103-1179983437_thumb.jpg

Your find in the wild is a definite WOW! I don't find import stuff too often in the wild... especially something that new. Good stuff!

Thanks for the info about the Tenchu game, I didn't know that it was a Gamestop/EB exclusive. It is on their websites but since you posted about it, I have been on the look for a used copy which I recently found at an EB store.

I am closing in on 100 DS titles with Phoenix Wright 2 being the next forseeable addition. :)

She Who Must Be Obeyed bought a copy of this on the weekend, I was surprised to see it was a US version as all local releases are normally through Nintendo Australia. So maybe that's why they seem to be rare, they were all bundled up and shipped over here!

If you really cannot find a copy and want one, I can get you one for AUD$50 plus postage, PM me if you want.

I just can't see buying some games based on them being hard to find if the gameplay is horrible (I've heard Tenchu is pretty bad). However, I do find that I shop according to which games might be hard to find later on (which is why I actually preordered Phoenix Wright 2 for tomorrow. I'm only up to about 25 games, but I sell stuff back if I know I won't play it again.

Any other ideas of hard-to-find DS titles or future rarities? I've learned a few things in this post and in turn was able to pick up a game or two.

I had no idea about the Tenchu game being a EB exclusive and now have it because of the info in this post.

The two Kirby games are pretty difficult to locate at retail stores and the ebay prices are getting fairly high on these. I'm fairly sure that they don't make Canvas Curse and more but even the newer one seems to be currently out of print. I'm not sure though because gamestop.com does have them (or so they say).

Thanks for any other info! :D

And a special, extra big :thumbsup: to Breakpack for helping me add some great DS games to my collection for very reasonable prices.

I think there will be plenty of titles in the next 7 months that will receive small runs as the DS is taking over for the GBA in terms of getting some companies wanting to get titles made for the juggernaut that is the DS!

Most Nintendo produced games will get a large run but eventually they will sell out (Wario Ware and Kirby Canvas Curse are two that come to mind).

I'm considering doing some collecting on the PSP front as I find myself playing my PSP more and more as of late and I am one of the few people who actually looks forward to the PS2 ports getting released. :) I have an easier time playing my PSP than my PS2 as I can be anywhere in the house to play it and I can play something like Hot Shots Golf while watching TV with my wife.

I picked up two Kirby Canvas Curse games at Circuit City in the clearance bin for $16 and change each. Kept one and sold the other on ebay for $36 which means I basically got mine for free.

Be sure to check out Circuit City clearance bins if you are looking for Kirby. :D

• 2 weeks later...

She Who Must Be Obeyed bought a copy of this on the weekend, I was surprised to see it was a US version as all local releases are normally through Nintendo Australia. So maybe that's why they seem to be rare, they were all bundled up and shipped over here!

If you really cannot find a copy and want one, I can get you one for AUD$50 plus postage, PM me if you want.

Thats the only DS item left at my local Dick Smith's store. Give it a month and they'll be giving them away :lol:

Weirdly enough Electroplankton is why I got a DS.

Me too. except I still haven't got it :(

Good Luck, I got mine when it was first released and before I knew it they stopped selling it and it's going for $60+ on ebay. Maybe check local game stores in the used DS section, I'm not sure what a Game Crazy or Game Stop would charge for an Electroplankton. That makes me wonder what they give the people that would trade it in, I'm sure it's not pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a title on order that you don't see very often and while it may well be a bad game, it could be a future rarity. It is made by SummitSoft who is the company that made that Texas Hold Em Poker Pack that is pretty hard to find. The title:

Mini RC Rally

I have never seen one in a store, gamestop types or walmart types. It is on ebay but the people that sell it charge over $9 shipping for the most part. Whenever I come across an interesting title I haven't heard of, I just want to pass it along for any other nuts out there collecting DS.

I am currently between 120 - 125 different DS titles :party:

Currently springing for Games N Music and Max Media Dock for the Nintendo DS, both of which I think are pretty rare to find outside of ordering it directly from CodeJunkies.com.

LINK - That site sells on ebay, they are Datel but I don't know how much cheaper it is on ebay than ordering directly from the codejunkies website because I don't know how tax and shipping are comparable between the two.

That Games N Music thing looks pretty neat but I'm new to all of this multi-media type stuff. Is the games and music necessary if you are getting the Max Media Dock? So, the Max Media Dock will play videos and music on my DS but not the games?

I have been reading the descriptions of both but don't really get it. I have also heard of this Link - R4 thing, is that any good? I basically would like to have music on my DS and the video feature would be neat for trips, the games would be neat too. I don't know...I can't decipher all of the technical details between all of these products.

Any suggestions for me of which product would be best or if anyone knows that one of them is not good.

That Games n Music card looks pretty sweet. I've never even heard of it :) Might have to pick one up.

Yeah, I might give this a try also. But, don't order directly from the Codejunkies site, use that link that I have a few posts up. It is the same store (Datel) only selling on ebay instead of through Codejunkies.

Codejunkies = $39.99

ebay = $29.99