IGNORED

Some classic game stores are getting just plain greedy

Hello :)

So I go check out this new classic game store in my area (I beleive it was called Games n Go or something like that) and I see they have a decent selection. Most of the stuff was overpriced ($7 NES commons, $5 Atari commons, $20 SMS commons, ETC...) but thats to be expected lately since classic gaming is popular and sometimes I don't mind paying a little extra to get the game right away. So I see a game in the display case, Chip & Dales Rescue rangers 2 for $29 loose. I used to own this actually but never played it, it's a shame really... just sat on my shelf, but I like Capcoms games and decided I would like to try it. I thought $29 seemed a little high so I ask the guy "Is the price on this game written in stone or can we barter a little?" He responds back with "nope....$129 firm is the price, I can't go any lower"

$129 for Rescue Rangers 2....LOOSE!!!! You have to be kidding me, this game is NOT that rare!!

Anyways, thats just my rant about how greedy I feel this store was :| Anything like this happen to you guys?

$129 :-o for a NES game good grief these people must have an ebay account and decided to open a store, it is rare but not $129 rare maybe $50 boxes rare

i havent seen anything new in terms of a store deicated to videogames since Funcoland around here

So I go check out this new classic game store in my area (I beleive it was called Games n Go or something like that) and I see they have a decent selection. Most of the stuff was overpriced ($7 NES commons, $5 Atari commons, $20 SMS commons, ETC...) but thats to be expected lately since classic gaming is popular and sometimes I don't mind paying a little extra to get the game right away. So I see a game in the display case, Chip & Dales Rescue rangers 2 for $29 loose. I used to own this actually but never played it, it's a shame really... just sat on my shelf, but I like Capcoms games and decided I would like to try it. I thought $29 seemed a little high so I ask the guy "Is the price on this game written in stone or can we barter a little?" He responds back with "nope....$129 firm is the price, I can't go any lower"

$129 for Rescue Rangers 2....LOOSE!!!! You have to be kidding me, this game is NOT that rare!!

Anyways, thats just my rant about how greedy I feel this store was :| Anything like this happen to you guys?

is that a typo?

"So I see a game in the display case, Chip & Dales Rescue rangers 2 for $29 loose."

then you say it was $129

"$129 for Rescue Rangers 2....LOOSE!!!! You have to be kidding me, this game is NOT that rare!!"

Rescue Rangers 2 wasn't even as good as the first one let alone worth more then 20

I remember in the 90's when I collected a lot of classic games and systems. Every once in a while you walk into some extra crappy thrift store, and some fat guy behind the counter is selling a moldy space invaders for 2$ and all the other Atari 2600 games for like $5 a pop.

Or what really gets me is these freaking MIZERS, trying to sell an Atari 400 system that they got in 1980 for 500 bucks for like 499 bucks in modern times, saying "it's still in new condition". These idiots think they can use something for 15 to 20 years and then turn around and sell it for no loss.

I also got excited when I found a loose Actraiser since I've been looking for one.....then I saw the price....$34

And it wasn't even in good shape, it was covered in blockbuster stickers and pen markings, that store sucks.

I did find a Pilotwings for 7 bucks I bought though which isn't a great deal or anything but it's realistic, I guess it wasn't a total loss.

Edited by Crazy Climber

is that a typo?

"So I see a game in the display case, Chip & Dales Rescue rangers 2 for $29 loose."

then you say it was $129

"$129 for Rescue Rangers 2....LOOSE!!!! You have to be kidding me, this game is NOT that rare!!"

Rescue Rangers 2 wasn't even as good as the first one let alone worth more then 20

Not a typo....he really wanted $129 for Rescue Rangers 2 - LOOSE!!!

I couldn't beleive it.

Greedy is right ... seems they'd have a lot more volume if the prices were at least reasonable ($15 for Actraiser seems fair for both parties). The games are just going to sit on the shelves and rot at those prices while the shop owner waits for a well-heeled moron (who exists only in the shop owner's mind) to come along.

I was going to say that $29 for a loose Rescue Rangers 2 isn't that bad, but $129... wow. That's just crazy.

Second hand game stores in Oz are expensive but with the stupid prices things are going for on eBay plus the out of control packaging and postal charges the sellers rip you off with often what seems like a high price in a store is about the same as the total on eBay, but at least you can inspect the game before you buy.

Greedy is right ... seems they'd have a lot more volume if the prices were at least reasonable ($15 for Actraiser seems fair for both parties). The games are just going to sit on the shelves and rot at those prices while the shop owner waits for a well-heeled moron (who exists only in the shop owner's mind) to come along.

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of what is seen as greed may actually be ignorance as to what's rare and what's just common crap. The flea markets here in Chesterfield Co., Virginia are a good example ...

There's one guy at the Super Flea who does nothing but vintage video games, 90% of them are pure crap, but he keeps prices down (I think the 8-bit NES run $5 each, N64 / SNES / Genesis are $3-$8, some random systems like Master System are all thrown in a box at $3 each). Every once in a while, you find something rare or desirable and get a good deal.

Then there's the day I went to look at his Atari stuff, and he tried to sell me a four-switch woody with a Pac-Man cartridge ("Great game man, it's a classic, everybody loves it!") for $50, power supply/RF switch not included. WTF? Most of his Atari 2600 games go for $10 each, systems for $40 each. Later, I found an original Sunnyvale VCS thrown under his table, damn near the best shape I've ever seen one, and was told I didn't want that one because "the ones with six switches don't play all the games; I couldn't even get this one to fit (shows me an Atari 7800 cartridge)." I offered him ten bucks for it and am very happy to say it's one of my best purchases.

I've begun boycotting stores that have firm, no-haggle prices on vintage games because all the prices are grossly inflated. On the plus side, a fool and his "heavy-sixer" are soon parted, if you're lucky enough to be at the right place and the right time.

The thing is,obviously,there is no RED BOOK VALUE for classic gameing,like there is for buying a car,what the stuff is worth is pretty much left between the buyer and seller, to agree on,there is NO law or guide lines as to what classic gaming stuff is WORTH,rarity guides are only a rough idea,and for every game one refuses to pay,someone else will always be willing to pay that insane price you just refused,cause theres alot of people out there who dont have a clue ,who are outside of this AA COMMUNITY ,as to what they're roughly worth,or they DONT care,they have LOTS of money and will pay anyprice,to just simply play the games,and ive seen plenty of those type,and the sellers know that,thats one reason that keeps them from lowering their prices from what i can see,especially on ebay,Sux,but thats life,its like anything else.

Edited by Rik

Have you ever heard about anyone getting rich selling used games? I wouldnt pay their outrageous prices either but anybody trying to make a go of it with used NES games is headed for bankruptcy sooner than later. I sorta feel sorry for these guys since most of them are game geeks at heart.

GameStop makes close to 200% profit on used games, I worked for them and I know.. it's rather irritating that they can get away with that. Especially whrn they would take in some of the shittiest looking games and sell them for the same price as one in great shape.. I had a women come into the EB I worked at.. had a Genesis 1 and a Genesis 3 and games.. too bad she had nothing I wanted lol since they don't take those games anymore I could of gotten a great deal.

Crazy Climber wrote:

Anyways, thats just my rant about how greedy I feel this store was Anything like this happen to you guys?

Hey is this the one in Rosedale? I went there last week & thought the same thing, theyhad a sealed GH CastleVania: SOTN under the counter for $80... :ponder:

The only thing I had interest in was a longbox PS Warhawk ($9) but I didnt get it.

I agree that $129 is pretty high for a loose cart, and you were right for not buying it. There's a local game shop here in town called Game Factor that sells vintage stuff in addition to new stuff. This store used to treat me well. There was a previous manager that would go out of his way to try and find the game I wanted, and he would usually give me used games at cost (what he paid the guy to trade them in) if they were really that desireable. To return my gratitude I bought all of my new release game purchases there as well as any accessories, etc. Basically if I wanted something I would go there first.

Now the store is managed by one of the key employees who is a major ass. He rips you off on trades and sells vintage stuff for the same outragous prices complained about here. For example, games like Tetris and Dr. Mario are $15 each because he calls them "rare". The first and second Zelda games are $25 for the same reason. SNES and Genesis games usually aren't too expensive, unless they are things like Donley Kong Country or Sonic the Hedgehog games. Most of the time the games are loose carts.

Since this is the only store in town that sells vintage stuff, I have to resort to buying things on Ebay.

Don't you love those mizers on Ebay who try to jack you with 5 dollar shipping for a freakin Atari 2600 game. And they list each of their 70 games separately.

That is certainly the trend on eBay.Oz. Some time ago eBay did put out an announcement that they were going to crack down on outrageous post & pack charges but either their interpretation of too high a charge and mine differs greatly or nothing ever happened.