IGNORED

SECAM River Raid

oldric

I've just got River Raid and i noticed it was one of some supposed SECAM game by Activisation.

There is a "S" sticker on the box and the card.

dsc02962wf8.th.jpgdsc02963rg0.th.jpgdsc02964jc3.th.jpg

What is more interesting is the mention "International Edition" under the title on the box and a second one "PAL/SECAM" on the back (Cf pictures).

dsc02965va9.th.jpgdsc02966wu9.th.jpg

I tried the game on my SECAM Darth Vader and on my PAL 7800. The ground colour is different. If it was a SECAM game, colours should be wrong on the PAL system but i can't say it is.

dsc02967uf4.th.jpgdsc02968uh8.th.jpg

What do you think about ?

I tried the game on my SECAM Darth Vader and on my PAL 7800. The ground colour is different. If it was a SECAM game, colours should be wrong on the PAL system but i can't say it is.

Not necessarily. Take a look at the TIA Color Charts. If they used $58 for PAL green then SECAM is green based on the $x8 for LUM. Likewise using $9B for PAL blue would yield SECAM cyan based on $xB for the lum.

Do all PAL River Raids say CARB on the FUEL tanks or is this a SECAM thing?

Tempest

That's the beauty of it.

Only the SECAM version has CARBurant (fuel in French) stated on the fuel tanks.

Just like the SECAM version of H.E.R.O. has FORCE written next to the energy bar, instead of POWER.

Mind you: we're not talking about a hacks or pirates, but genuine Activision games.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Funny that the box says "PAL / SECAM" on it, though I guess they made up one box for use in all non-NTSC areas.

Yes label and box are the same, except for the S sticker.

They even used this label and box in NTSC Canada (with a N sticker on it):

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...3494&MENU=2

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Funny that the box says "PAL / SECAM" on it, though I guess they made up one box for use in all non-NTSC areas.

Yes label and box are the same, except for the S sticker.

They even used this label and box in NTSC Canada (with a N sticker on it):

I just had a look at the SECAM list on atarimania.com, and saw that you have the CBS games on it. I think for them it's exactly the other way around. CBS did have special labels and boxes for France that claimed the games were SECAM only. But the ROMs were the same as the PAL version. At least it was for the Schtroumpfs game that I tested a couple years ago. Maybe you could have a look at your other CBS SECAM ROMs and see if any of them are different from their PAL counterpart?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

• 3 weeks later...

Do all PAL River Raids say CARB on the FUEL tanks or is this a SECAM thing?

Tempest

That's the beauty of it.

Only the SECAM version has CARBurant (fuel in French) stated on the fuel tanks.

Just like the SECAM version of H.E.R.O. has FORCE written next to the energy bar, instead of POWER.

Mind you: we're not talking about a hacks or pirates, but genuine Activision games.

8)

I've just got Decathlon (SECAM) and all the events are written in french on screen.

I can take some pics if you want Rom Hunter. ;)

I've just got River Raid and i noticed it was one of some supposed SECAM game by Activisation.

There is a "S" sticker on the box and the card.

dsc02962wf8.th.jpgdsc02963rg0.th.jpgdsc02964jc3.th.jpg

What is more interesting is the mention "International Edition" under the title on the box and a second one "PAL/SECAM" on the back (Cf pictures).

dsc02965va9.th.jpgdsc02966wu9.th.jpg

dsc02967uf4.th.jpgdsc02968uh8.th.jpg

What do you think about ?

Colours difference is related to the consoles hardware. SECAM ones Display only 8 colours (linked to luminance if I'am not wrong). The Rom is a PAL one as we can see on the 7800 screenshot. :)

Edited by khryssun

Those Activision games were programmed so that they look almost the same on both PAL and Secam consoles (By limiting them to 8 colors with appropriate luma values as Spiceware pointed out in this post).

The same games are available in PAL only format, with more colors and not adjusted for Secam.

In these screenshots you can see how the PAL rom of "River Raid" appears on a PAL machine and on a Secam one (I used z26 with -b -c2 flags).

post-10599-1171720419_thumb.jpgpost-10599-1171720457_thumb.jpg

Note the difference with the pics posted by oldric: for example there's not the tree on the scenery in the PAL/Secam version, because Secam palette only has one shade of green.

AFAIK, only Activision released separate roms for PAL/Secam and PAL only, while some Atari PAL games were programmed with a b&w palette adjusted for Secam (Secam consoles have the "TV TYPE" switch hardwired to b&w) or by chosing pal colors with appropiate luma values (sometimes reducing the number of colors compared to the NTSC versions):

post-10599-1171720518_thumb.jpgpost-10599-1171720499_thumb.jpg

:)

Those Activision games were programmed so that they look almost the same on both PAL and Secam consoles (By limiting them to 8 colors with appropriate luma values as Spiceware pointed out in this post).

The same games are available in PAL only format, with more colors and not adjusted for Secam.

In these screenshots you can see how the PAL rom of "River Raid" appears on a PAL machine and on a Secam one (I used z26 with -b -c2 flags).

post-10599-1171720419_thumb.jpgpost-10599-1171720457_thumb.jpg

Note the difference with the pics posted by oldric: for example there's not the tree on the scenery in the PAL/Secam version, because Secam palette only has one shade of green.

AFAIK, only Activision released separate roms for PAL/Secam and PAL only, while some Atari PAL games were programmed with a b&w palette adjusted for Secam (Secam consoles have the "TV TYPE" switch hardwired to b&w) or by chosing pal colors with appropiate luma values (sometimes reducing the number of colors compared to the NTSC versions):

post-10599-1171720518_thumb.jpgpost-10599-1171720499_thumb.jpg

:)

Bad news, i have to look for a PAL only version of River Raid now ! :( (Stupid SECAM system...)

You can easily find it on ebay from sellers outside France. Aniway, the Secam version is less common and definitely a nice addition to a 2600 collection. :)

Moreover it seems that no one has dumped an Activision Secam game yet and the only screenshots I found are the ones you posted and those in this old thread.

Edited by alex_79

You can easily find it on ebay from sellers outside France. Aniway, the Secam version is less common and definitely a nice addition to a 2600 collection. :)

Moreover it seems that no one has dumped an Activision Secam game yet and the only screenshots I found are the ones you posted and those in this old thread.

Well...As you can see i already have a spare !

At least the second i got had his manual and a 14 pages Activision catalog (EAG-940 B). I can scan it for the site if necessary.

dsc02974uf5.th.jpg

Edited by oldric

• 3 months later...

Well...As you can see i already have a spare !

At least the second i got had his manual and a 14 pages Activision catalog (EAG-940 B). I can scan it for the site if necessary.

dsc02974uf5.th.jpg

yes it was an old topic from Me!

Actually there are actually secam roms versions only with activision games!

In my knowledge there are only 6 secam rom games: Hero, Space shuttle, Keystone, Decathlon, river raid & ghostbuster.

I hope to dump their roms in few weeks!

• 9 years later...