IGNORED

Tomb Raider & Swagman for the Jag

JagMX

I have this article (somewhere) I believe it was from a CES show that had listed some new games coming out/or planned for systems. In the article it mentioned how Swagman & Tomb Raider were planned for the Jaguar (CD) (as well as the PS1, Saturn, PC & 3DO) and the same goes for Swagman. While I think the chances of there even being a possible Beta out there of either of these games is impossible, is there a possibility? Or maybe it was junked? Does anyone think the JagCD could've handled Tomb Raider well enough compared to the Saturn & PSone? Or at least hold it's own against it?

When I find the article i'll scan and post it up :)

I'm not sure if the Jag could handle it or not. I'm sure they could have done a reasonablely similar game for the Jaguar, but I don't know how close it could come.

Everything I've read says the Jag is really powerful, pretty close to the PSX actually, but everything I've seen has not shown that. Of course, that could be 2D capabilitys.

Still, it would be interesting to get a tounbraider for the Jag, I hate the game, but it would be cool.

Perhaps they created Tomb Raider for the Saturn and the PSX and took a look at the Jaguar specs and processing capabilities and said....well I think we'll pass on this one. So maybe Eidos realized that the Jaguar version couldn't be comparable to the Saturn or PSX.

They've done 2-D side-scrollers that were based on 3-D polygon games for the gameboy and such, but I think if they we're to create a 2-D version of Tomb Raider for the Jaguar, it would've probably flopped and left people wondering why it wasn't created in 3-D. That in turn would've made the Jaguar unattractive to gamers. :D

Quick! before you sell it! :)

Found it! Going to hook up my scanner tomorrow/today and post it up then :)

@ Video - Yeah I was one to think also that most likely it couldn't handle it. I mean I like the way it displays pre-rendered graphix and Hover Strike for the CD looked pretty good with it's textured graphix. And when I look back on the first tomb raider the textures look bad enough to where I think the Jag could handle it and make it look a little worse ;) . Probably not all on one disk, maybe 2 and the loading would be something to probably get aggravated over ;). But I definitely think Swagman would've worked on the CD. I mean if you really think about it, usually all CD system based consoles have a "bad" first run of games. You have some good and some bad and it always takes some time to tap into a systems full potential. I think the Jag CD is really capable of displaying better FMV sequences and in game graphix. Unfortunately it didn't live long enough for us to see -

ACTUALLY...Tomb Raider was original planned for the JAGUAR BEFORE the PS or Saturn!...Yep...And Laura Croft was known as "Laura Cruz" at that time... ;)

Indeed.

As for Swagman, it´s an overhead 2D arcade adventure, well within the specs of the Jaguar. Tomb Raider could have been done on the Jaguar also, but it was probably too big of an effort to be worth it, within the given timeframe.

Why neither game surfaced on the Jaguar, I´m not sure, but a couple of theories exist.

One is that Core signed an exclusivity agreement for consoles with Sony sometime during 1996. I don´t think that´s ever been confirmed, but the fact is that Tomb Raider 2, which was well underway for the Saturn, was canned alongside games like Fighting Force (which was also nearing completion).

My guess is that Sony went with the big boys, ie Playstation and the PC, because that´s where the big audiences were to be found.

the jaguar is really far from having the 3D capabilities of the psx (because there is no 3D chip at all), even the saturn version of TR is lower than the psx version.

But given enough time and ressources, don´t you think it would be possible for a highly competent team of programmers to do something like Tomb Raider on the Jaguar? They´d have to take the long road and find ways around it without custom 3D chips, but still I think it would be doable.

The Saturn could, at times, run circles around the PSX when programmed properly. But yes, Tomb Raider on the Saturn isn´t totally on par with the PSX version in some areas, which I believe I read somewhere, is due to its hardware being quadrilaterally-based as opposed to the PSX´s triangular-based hardware.

But given enough time and ressources, don´t you think it would be possible for a highly competent team of programmers to do something like Tomb Raider on the Jaguar? They´d have to take the long road and find ways around it without custom 3D chips, but still I think it would be doable.

So do I. I mean just look at BIWN where you are running around in a 3D texture mapped environment. Much bigger feats have been pulled off like Resident Evil on the Gameboy or running DOOM3 on VooDoo2's.

So do I. I mean just look at BIWN where you are running around in a 3D texture mapped environment. Much bigger feats have been pulled off like Resident Evil on the Gameboy or running DOOM3 on VooDoo2's.

Well, when you look at RE on GBC it has nothing to do with it's Psx version :D

the jaguar is really far from having the 3D capabilities of the psx (because there is no 3D chip at all), even the saturn version of TR is lower than the psx version.

The Saturn could, at times, run circles around the PSX when programmed properly. But yes, Tomb Raider on the Saturn isn´t totally on par with the PSX version in some areas, which I believe I read somewhere, is due to its hardware being quadrilaterally-based as opposed to the PSX´s triangular-based hardware.

No.

Even with proper programming, the Saturn hardly can touch the PSX. Sega had one of the best coders, Am2, working on the Saturn and they failed to give the Saturn the edge it needed against the PSX. It's decent, but the PSX can do so much more than the Saturn.

-better resolution

-runnning in 16 bit

-transparent polygons and effects

-multi colored lighting, multiple light sources, specular highlights etc.

However the Saturn is a good machine for 2D and many believe it beats the PSX in that category.

No.

Even with proper programming, the Saturn hardly can touch the PSX. Sega had one of the best coders, Am2, working on the Saturn and they failed to give the Saturn the edge it needed against the PSX. It's decent, but the PSX can do so much more than the Saturn.

-better resolution

-runnning in 16 bit

-transparent polygons and effects

-multi colored lighting, multiple light sources, specular highlights etc.

However the Saturn is a good machine for 2D and many believe it beats the PSX in that category.

I doubt that Tomb Raider was possible on the Jaguar. The development kits and libraries were rather primitive. Looking at the best efforts for the Jaguar (Iron Soldier2 and BM) I'm sure that a full 3d texture mapped game engine as complex as Tom Raiders is plain not possible.

It might be possible with better development hardware.

I doubt that Tomb Raider was possible on the Jaguar.

Tomb Raider that looks exactly like the PSX version would likely be impossible. But a Tomb Raider game could have been made to fit the Jaguar specs. If the Gameboy Color can have a Tomb Raider game, so can the Jaguar.

I doubt that Tomb Raider was possible on the Jaguar.

Tomb Raider that looks exactly like the PSX version would likely be impossible. But a Tomb Raider game could have been made to fit the Jaguar specs. If the Gameboy Color can have a Tomb Raider game, so can the Jaguar.

Probably it was planned as a 2D platformer, like Indiana Jones.

But it was ditched in favour of the 3D Playstation version and because the Jaguar was not considered as a viable platform anymore.