IGNORED

Pachislo tech test

supercat

In reading Chronogamer's blog about Slot Machine, I got to wondering how much better it could have been done. David Crane's kernel was technically competent, but hardly inspired; with a slight change, an element of skill (ergo fun) could have been added as well.

Here's a 2K test program for a skill-based slot-machine variant. Push up on the controller to start the reels spinning. Push left and release to stop the left reel; down and release for the center reel; right and release for the right reel. The fire button will cheat and slow the reels down enough to make things easy.

The kernel would have been simple if used Venetian blinds, or if I didn't care about colors or about allowing asymmetric shapes. But putting all those things together with a 'solid' 2LK was tough.

Although this demo is 2K, I expect a real game would probably have to be 4K if I wanted to have differently-sequenced reels without making other kernel sacrifices. Although the kernel reloads the cached colors on the "red" lines, it does not update the shape pointers. Consequently, the shape data for the portion of the wheel between two heavy black lines must all exist consecutively in ROM.

If the game were pushed to 4K, though, it might actually be sorta fun. Anyone agree with that notion?

pachis.bin

It's attractive. I found that I was able to win fairly quickly. With a payoff, ramps and perhaps intermissions, you'd have a fun little diversion. I don't know if anyone who likes Vegas slots actually enjoys playing computer slots? Without the money reward it is a little hard to envision. If this were a game within a game, and you were rewarded with money or stuff that can be used within the larger game then it works.

It's attractive. I found that I was able to win fairly quickly. With a payoff, ramps and perhaps intermissions, you'd have a fun little diversion. I don't know if anyone who likes Vegas slots actually enjoys playing computer slots? Without the money reward it is a little hard to envision. If this were a game within a game, and you were rewarded with money or stuff that can be used within the larger game then it works.

I was thinking of it as a light diversion. That style of game seems extremely popular at redemption center arcades, though I personally suspect many of them are "rigged" so that the actual operational time for the winning spots is much smaller than for the spots on either side. Further, a number of them use incandescent light bulbs which makes judging exact timing a rather dubious exercise in and of itself. I don't know that anyone in those arcades is really expecting to get rich off redemption tickets (collect 3000 and you might get an electronic toy worth $10 or so) but people still play those games.

I can pretty well stop the left wheel +/- a click from where I want about half the time, and the right wheel where I want about half the time. So about 1/4 of the time I can get three in a row horizontally or diagonally. But if the speeds were much faster I don't think I could do better deliberately than blindfolded.

Nothing terribly fancy--I was just curious what it would have been possible for David Crane to do with "Slot Machine" if there had been real interest in trying to make something challenging.

Hi,

please follow the following link to my latest 4kb demo. It contains two separate parts. The second being a playable slotmachine. http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95347

The demo/game is final now and I'll post the final binary in the above topic soon. It'll be released on cartridge, too.

I hope that you like the design and look forward to any feedback

Thanks,

Simon

post-748-1170762857_thumb.png