IGNORED

Tempest 2000 PC

CrazyChris

BTW, here's what YaK had to say about the DOS version of Tempest 2000, shortly before its initial release:

Finally this game is completed (shipped is another matter, but here's hoping). The game has already had some excellent press in the UK computer rags, and I hope that it will introduce the joys of Tempest to a new audience.. there are some changes from the Jaguar version - slight changes on the poly shading, other effects substituted for the Melt-o-Vision, and some differences in the Bonus Rounds.. but then again, the music is a lot better (as it's coming right off the CD), you have the option of full-screen head-to-head gameplay via PC link-up, and if you have a good PC then the main gameplay actually runs a bit smoother than on a Jaguar.

Naturally I still prefer the Jag version - of course I do, I bloody wrote it - but this is a pretty damn good game nonetheless.

As for me, I'm still impressed by the fact that the game seems to run at full speed on my old 33MHz 386 machine with a nothing-special ISA video card. Its biggest problem is that it's picky about the RAM configuration (it requires EMS, as I recall). I'd love to know how well it runs under DOSBox, if anyone can get it working.

• 4 months later...

Blast from the past...

I recently started getting into DOSBox. It is a work of art, perfect for resurrecting lots of old games Windows pretends it can't run anymore. Tempest 2000, however, is a bit of a problem. It is slow to the point of unplayable, basically grinding to a near halt seconds after starting the title screen. Fiddling with DOSBox's CPU and cycles settings helps, but only slightly. T2K is the only game showing this problem. The system is a P4 2.2GHz, so I'd like to assume I have a powerful enough box to play the thing.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...