IGNORED

A new demoscene production for the Atari 2600

visyli

Hi,

Me & my group have completed a 4k demo for the Atari 2600 and are planning to release it at Icons'07 demoparty (Finland) in 16-18.2.2007. I'll post a follow-up on here when it's officially released (that's why I don't yet want to give any information about it).

I sent an email to the "homebrew services" a few weeks ago and I still haven't received a reply. It's just probably because some people have a life too ;)

I'm just wondering if this sort of thing would be worth buying in a real cart form. Of course, I will also distribute the rom-file freely. What do you think?

Hi,

Me & my group have completed a 4k demo for the Atari 2600 and are planning to release it at Icons'07 demoparty (Finland) in 16-18.2.2007. I'll post a follow-up on here when it's officially released (that's why I don't yet want to give any information about it).

I sent an email to the "homebrew services" a few weeks ago and I still haven't received a reply. It's just probably because some people have a life too ;)

I'm just wondering if this sort of thing would be worth buying in a real cart form. Of course, I will also distribute the rom-file freely. What do you think?

OK, so what you're basically asking is... do I think that it's worth buying something in cart form... something that I've not seen, that you can't give any information about, and which is planned to be released "soon".

No.

OK, so what you're basically asking is... do I think that it's worth buying something in cart form... something that I've not seen, that you can't give any information about, and which is planned to be released "soon".

No.

Ok, sorry, I'll try to rephrase myself better. What I meant was does stuff like "Boing 2600" really sell? The only thing I'm really after is a cart for myself, others liking / getting it would be just a nice plus. I do understand I'm a bit too secretive about the thing but I'll post more stuff next weekend.

EDIT:

I'm also very happy to provide the demo right away to people that work with the web-store and cartridge manufacturing.

Edited by visyli

Pay no attention to the grump. :lol:

I think Al (who runs the website and the store) has been very busy lately and therefore hasn't be able to respond to emails/requests very quickly. But I expect that you'll be getting a response soon.

And Andrew does have a bit of a point; AFAIK many fewer people are interested in buying something sight-unseen than otherwise.

Ok, sorry, I'll try to rephrase myself better. What I meant was does stuff like "Boing 2600" really sell? The only thing I'm really after is a cart for myself, others liking / getting it would be just a nice plus. I do understand I'm a bit too secretive about the thing but I'll post more stuff next weekend.

It depends on how good something is. Boing 2600 (2.0) is awesome and so it sells very very well and I'm now able to afford to buy Starbucks once in a while (drip only). I'm joking, demo carts don't sell as well as the best games naturally.

Actually, Boing 2600 has the nostalgia advantage. Something homebrew will sell better if it is:

a) good (subjective)

b) perceived value (more content/ good label / nice manual / box?

b) has a nostalgic connection with the past.

Less now, but some people will buy one of anything put on a cart it seems. :)

Actually, Boing 2600 has the nostalgia advantage. Something homebrew will sell better if it is:

a) good (subjective)

At least I think so ;)

b) perceived value (more content/ good label / nice manual / box?

We have many graphic artists in our group, so this is an area we'll definitely give some thought and work.

b) has a nostalgic connection with the past.

Yes, of course! We did this out of pure love for the (almost) 30 year old beast ;)

So... if I get a demo together this weekend, I can send it with you? :D

Actually, Icons'07 allows outside participants, check their website at http://decadence.fi/icons07

Well, that's nice but I still won't be going to Finland next week. I understand you can submit your demo via email etc but it would be best to run on Native hardware. If you are already bringing a 2600...

post-12388-1171037764_thumb.jpg

Cart label / box art for the demo.

I like it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would say there is interest in demos on cartridge, though obviously not as sought after as games on cartridge. Like was mentioned, there are some collectors( like me ) who would like to get everything out there on cartridge, if money was no object. Since it is, I'm more picky about what I want most for my collection. Simon is the current king of Atari 2600 demos, IMHO. Here is a thread about his latest project:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95347

I, too, have my Globetrotter demo project I am polishing up for a limited cartridge release soon. :cool:

Edited by Gateway

Well, that's nice but I still won't be going to Finland next week. I understand you can submit your demo via email etc but it would be best to run on Native hardware. If you are already bringing a 2600...

Yes, I'll have a video-modded _PAL_ Atari 2600 present at the party (my demo being for PAL, I will port it to NTSC [if possible] after the release), which will be used to show our demo on the big screen. I could be your "courier", no problem.

Edited by visyli

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from the party!

I just arrived home after a long weekend of computers & loud music, and I'm happy to say that our Atari 2600 production won second place on the main competition (1st place was a PC demo, 3nd place too).

The demo can be downloaded here:

http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=29738

It's 4k in size and should work on any PAL Atari 2600 (I've tested it on a jr.)

I wonder if they'll have the contest next year, and if something like BTP2 might be adaptable as an entry. Problem is that while the music is cool the wave tables are a bit of a hog.

Well, there's always other demoparties, such as Breakpoint, Assembly, Simulaatio etc. coming up this year! ;)