IGNORED

TurboDuo and CDR's

Tempest

So we all know that the TurboDuo doesn't have region/copy protection on its CD's, so I was thinking about trying out some imports that I could never afford normally (ever seen the price of a copy of Sapphire?). My question is can using CDR's in a TurboDuo damage the system? I know they work in the Duo (this is how I played Dracula X), but someone told me that CDR's cause strain on the laser in the CD drive and causes it to wear out quicker. I know that the Duo isn't the most well built system on earth (actually it's one of the most fragile sytems I've ever seen), so I'm a bit warery about doing anything that could cause it harm.

Tempest

Here we have the kettle calling the pot black.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...01886&st=25

This is so funny. I had a Turbo Grafx CD System with System Card 3.0 to play Turbo Duo games. I bought every one one of my Turbo Grafx CD and Turbo Duo CD games.

Please do me a favor, and don't ever give _me_ a lecture about honesty or morals again.

Edited by deadmeow

This is so funny. I had a Turbo Grafx CD System with System Card 3.0 to play Turbo Duo games. I bought every one one of my Turbo Grafx CD and Turbo Duo CD games.

Please do me a favor, and don't ever give _me_ a lecture about honesty or morals again.

Downloading roms for long dead systems is a very different thing than ripping off a store that is still selling games. Now if I was asking how to play copies of PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, PS3, Wii, or GC games or if I was making CDRs, putting them back in the box and then selling them back to the store you might have a point.

True neither one is technically legal, but I don't think they fall into the same category of "wrongness" (so to speak).

Tempest

Mmmm.... I think this is different.

You were FLAT OUT ripping off the store. Not the person who made the software... but the store that bought the software. I agree that what you did was wrong.

Piracy... wrong in a way... but not like above. Tempest is awesome... plain and simple. DROP IT

I do want to point out that Piracy is still illegal and that I'm not condoning it in any way. However playing roms from long dead systems *IS* something we all do, even though it might not be legal (like speeding). It is however VERY different than stealing or committing fraud, which is something that I hope we do not all do...

Tempest

Mmmm.... I think this is different.

You were FLAT OUT ripping off the store. Not the person who made the software... but the store that bought the software. I agree that what you did was wrong.

Piracy... wrong in a way... but not like above. Tempest is awesome... plain and simple. DROP IT

I do want to point out that Piracy is still illegal and that I'm not condoning it in any way. However playing roms from long dead systems *IS* something we all do, even though it might not be legal (like speeding). It is however VERY different than stealing or committing fraud, which is something that I hope we do not all do...

Tempest

There are loopholes, particularlly on older games never released in the US, while they can be concidered illegal.. if their isn't a US license on the game the FCC wont persue it because theirs nothing to gain from it. Their never gonna bring Sapphire or the Arcade card over here so it's not hurting anybody but the greedy person selling it on Ebay. When it comes down to defunct systems... it's really the collector who oppose piracy because it effects the value of their stuff not because they are "moral".

Edited by EmOneGarand

Dude, you stole from a store. You are a thief.

The TG is a dead system. No one is making software for it anymore. The two things are different entirely.

I doubt that very much of the PCE library has USA copywites. So it's considered public domain. It's perfectly legal to burn yourself a disc to play.

NOA would have some of the liscenses for the Wii games they offer. I would guess Konami would have rights to Drac X especially since its coming to PSP.

Dude, you stole from a store. You are a thief.

The TG is a dead system. No one is making software for it anymore. The two things are different entirely.

Not correct, Their have been CD games released in the past couple years, with HuC (which is a very nice C programming suite with tuturials, it's not that hard at all to make a decent game, it also gives all the info on how to make HuCard images as well as System 3 and Arcade Card CD games) so I wouldn't call it a dead system. It's in the same league as the Jaguar, 2600 and Lynx for Homebrewers... thats could be said for about any system that has a steady fanbase who program and release their own games.

I played Sapphire last week at a friend's house.He has a copy on disc that he got some where in Germany i think.He told me that it looks real but its a Bootleg.It has the offical logos on the manual and everything.He said it was way cheaper than buying the real deal.I thought it was a cool game but am more into U.S. Hu-cards than Turbo CDs U.S. or Imported so i wont be pick one up anythime soon.If i could find a copy.

I played Sapphire last week at a friend's house.He has a copy on disc that he got some where in Germany i think.He told me that it looks real but its a Bootleg.It has the offical logos on the manual and everything.He said it was way cheaper than buying the real deal.I thought it was a cool game but am more into U.S. Hu-cards than Turbo CDs U.S. or Imported so i wont be pick one up anythime soon.If i could find a copy.

Yeah someone said they found a whole stash of them and was selling them on ebay for awhile. They duplicated everything almost exactly, but someone figured out they were fake by looking at the code on the inner ring of the CD.

Tempest

Not to offend, but it seems to me that there are always rumors going around about CDR's and/or non licensed hardware damaging systems. Based on my experience with other manufacturers like Atari and Sony, I really take those with a grain of salt.

I've had a system damaged once, and yes it sucked. I still own the system (a Saturn) and I have done a reasonable job of repairing it.

Now if I owned a system as rare as the Duo, I might be a little more concerned about such rumors. My rarest system, though, is probably my 7800.

I doubt that very much of the PCE library has USA copywites. So it's considered public domain. It's perfectly legal to burn yourself a disc to play.

NOA would have some of the liscenses for the Wii games they offer. I would guess Konami would have rights to Drac X especially since its coming to PSP.

If you can find the damned things. :(

No such luck for me.

Speaking of roms, I was looking through my PCE collection and I noticed alot of duplicate files that had a weird notation next to them. For example:

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b1][o1]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b2][o2]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b3]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b4]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [h1]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [o1]

I know the U is US, but what the heck is this b1, o1, h1 stuff? I've also seen a1 on some roms.

Tempest

Speaking of roms, I was looking through my PCE collection and I noticed alot of duplicate files that had a weird notation next to them. For example:

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b1][o1]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b2][o2]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b3]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [b4]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [h1]

Bonk's Adventure (U) [o1]

I know the U is US, but what the heck is this b1, o1, h1 stuff? I've also seen a1 on some roms.

Tempest

h usually means Hack, if it's a t it means translated. I'm not sure about b and o.. I doubt o means original because they usually leave that out of the rom header if it's a straight dump

Found this handy little chart:

STANDARD CODES

[a] Alternate

[p] Pirate

Bad Dump

[t] Trained

[f] Fixed

[T] Translation

[h] Hack

[x] Bad Checksum

[o] Overdump

[!] Verified Good Dump

(M#) Multilanguage (# of Languages)

(###) Checksum

(??k) ROM Size

ZZZ_ Unclassified

I've also seen [PD] which I assume means Public Domain.

And now I know. And knowing is half the battle. GI-Joe!

Tempest