IGNORED

SIO2SD Interface

Beetle

Some time ago there was info about a new Interface called SIO2SD.

Its making progress these days and it has now an

english language webpage.

There is a SMD Version in the works, too, because the Atmega32 DIL is no

longer in production (and the PCB is smaller, thus cheaper).

Greetings,

Beetle

To this point it is a "diy". But i know at least one person who will do a production run of the SMD version as soon as beta testing was successful. The first prototype PCBs are underway right now. So expect news in a couple of days.

Greetings,

Beetle

There is a SMD Version in the works, too, because the Atmega32 DIL is no

longer in production (and the PCB is smaller, thus cheaper).

Greetings,

Beetle

Not trying to be negative, but what advantage(s) would SIO2SD provide over APE (et.al.) or MyIDE. It would seem that navigating the small LCD screen would be cumbersome, and of course, it would have nowhere the speed of MyIDE. But still, a nice hack and extension of the SIO2HD. Perhaps I'm missing something?

-Larry

Not trying to be negative, but what advantage(s) would SIO2SD provide over APE (et.al.) or MyIDE. It would seem that navigating the small LCD screen would be cumbersome, and of course, it would have nowhere the speed of MyIDE. But still, a nice hack and extension of the SIO2HD. Perhaps I'm missing something?

-Larry

To me it's simple, with APE you need another computer, it would do the exact same thing, but the SIO2SD would be more compact and dedicated to the task. It'd save some desk space and would be easily moved from one place to the next. MyIDE requires a special OS instead of standard SIO or PBI interfacing. It would have some speed advantages but wouldn't be easily connected to a stock machine. I think SIO2IDE is very close, if a CF card is used. The disadvantage is that SIO2IDE lacks a display, but the advantage is that it has support for other media like CD or DVD drives (any IDE device).

BTW, I have access to Eagle cad software and Atmel programming hardware, if there's anything I can do to help!

I'd LOVE to get one of these. SD and an LCD display, handy like a MyIDE but without the limitations - hell yeah! :D

I'd like to mention that the SIO2USB is almost complete also and very similar to SIO2SD.

The advantages for SIO2USB over SIO2SD as it is today (as seen by the SIO2USB Development Team:

* open source hard- & software

* Hardware supports both SD and USB Memory (Flash)

* APE compatible RealTimeClock (can be used from SpartaDOS)

* Image Management possible from the Atari (Copy Images, Move Images, Create Images ... )

* Firmware is replaceable "in-the-field", no extra hardware (flash programmer) needed to upgrade the internal firmware

* Firmware upgrades from attached medium (Firmware upgrade can be loaded from the device itself, no external floppy or PC needed)

We expect SIO2USB ready for beta testing this summer (hardware is already mature, the software is currently developed).

This is SIO2USB (without cover plate)

SIO2USBv3.jpg

Carsten

Edited by cas

I'd like to mention that the SIO2USB is almost complete also and very similar to SIO2SD.

(snip...)

We expect SIO2USB ready for beta testing this summer (hardware is already mature, the software is currently developed).

Carsten

That is an impressive photo! Are these going to be sold by ABBUC? Perhaps I'll change my mind...

-Larry

In my 1250XLD i have a 1050 and a SIO2CF drive intenal plus my 1001 and a SIO2PC cable external on the SIO port. I see no problem to add a SIO2USB to the SIO chain as well. The only limitation is the drivenumbers. SIO2IDE 3.3a (the one i use) is limited to D1: to D5:, the 1050 is limited to D1: - D4:. I don't know if the SIO2USB is usinng D6:- to D8:.

Its a good task to assign every device the wanted image, though :)

You have to configure your DOS to support such a high count of drives.

Edited by Beetle

Very cool! What do you expect the cost to be for these units?

The Device will be available in Europe through ABBUC. We plan to make it available in the US through a well known Atari Vendor. Pricing depends on the estimated number of 1st run production. We try our best to make it affordable.

Best regards

Carsten Strotmann

The Device will be available in Europe through ABBUC. We plan to make it available in the US through a well known Atari Vendor. Pricing depends on the estimated number of 1st run production. We try our best to make it affordable.

Awesome! I can't wait to get one. And I think I know who that US vendor might be. :D

• 1 month later...

Release date?

Release date for ABBUC Members is October 2007 (annual ABBUC meeting, only preordered units). General Availability will be after that. We will tell you the US release date once the hardware is stable and we have everything sorted out.

Carsten

• 1 month later...