IGNORED

No Guts, No Glory. Do you have any guts?

Gunstar

Here are my 1200XL's guts, as I prepare to do my final upgrade on it, for a while anyway; I'm upgrading to 512k, from what I have currently. Can you tell me what upgrades you see on my motherboard? Look closely, many are not obvious, you may need to blow up the pic to full screen somehow (like setting as desktop wallpaper).

This is a No Guts, No Glory thread. All hardware hackers show us your motherboards and let us guess the upgrades. The more Guts your machine has, the more Glory it will recieve.

Answer: top middle to the lower right or the RF modulator: Dual Pokey board(ribbon cable goes to Pokey chip), lower left corner, mostly hidden by ribbon: APE Warp+ OS 32-in-1, far right above ram chips is: Rambo XL board now upgraded to 512K with piggybacked ram chips not seen in picture, next to the Rambo board is: PAL Antic, R63 resister bridged for +5v to SIO port, lastly is the Supervideo upgrade which is spread out on the main motherboard above the Rambo XL and under the duel Pokey board.

post-149-1173238223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

I've mentioned my upgrades I've done on numerous occasions, people could just do a search and find out from other threads. But I just thought it might be fun to start a thread to show off our upgraded computer guts and guess what's there anyway...my upgrades are all more common than most too. No CF card or internal IDE or funny swithces on my machine, yet.

Okay. Sounds like a fun thread. Here is one of my XE's

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=si&img=321

Here is another XE (thus one has guts on the outside... :) )

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=si&img=306

Here is my modded ST (okay wrong forum, but...)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=si&img=317

Okay. Sounds like a fun thread. Here is one of my XE's

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=si&img=321

Here is another XE (thus one has guts on the outside... :) )

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=si&img=306

Here is my modded ST (okay wrong forum, but...)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=si&img=317

For the first XE my guess (which seems obvious for some reason :ponder: ) an Omnimon OS upgrade and I venture to guess the cable leads to a switch or switches to change OS's. But being unfamilair with the Omnimon upgrades except as to their existance, I can't tell if that's a custom job, with Omnimon added, or if it's the original omnimon board. It doesn't look like you've done any other upgrades to that one, If you have upgraded anything else, you did a superb job as the motherboard looks untouched; I see no changed or parallel resisters as a tell-tale sign of video modification, no piggybacked chips with wires running from pins, no chip sockets (a sign that they haven't been removed), though it's possible you chose not to use sockets. So I'm guessing just an Ominmon OS mod.

The second XE I'm not even going to guess.

The second XE I'm not even going to guess

Its the Ethernet Cartridge Proto! Any news on that?

No much. Basically I had it working, had someone lined up to create a cartridge for it, but that fell through. Now, unforuntately, I have no time to work on updating it.

Here is a picture of one of my 3 modded 130XEs. I did not do this mod.

post-4398-1173376614_thumb.jpg

I bought this 130XE from Del McCool. Here is some more info on it: http://www.myatari.net/issues/jun2002/usa.htm

I am actually going to sell this computer. There is some yellowing on the outside, but it is a great machine.

If anyone is interested buying it, PM me...

Cheers,

C

Well, here's mine! Now If someone could teach me to post a thumbnail I'd appreciate it, and fix it. For now though..here she is!

Mine are simple ones...

AHHhhhh, I did this one to one of my 1200XL's. Remove the 2 1200XL OS roms and install 2 sockets with XL rom in the first one. Now all you need to do is add the Basic revC rom in the other. :D

About the attachment. Instead of adding it with the 'insert image' button, use the file attachment option below the edit window. Browse for the file and then click 'Add This Attachment'. Once attached, click 'Add Into Post'. It will add a thumbnail to the post at the place of your cursor.

Edited by Guitarman

Well,

this is the 800XL of a friend of mine. It really has lots of guts, who finds them all?

800XL_B.jpg

Nice, isn't it?

And this is my 600XL, which has still some mods to be done. Can you find one already?

600xl.jpg

No, i am not talking about the handlabeled GTIA chip.

cya,

Beetle

Edited by Beetle

Well,

this is the 800XL of a friend of mine. It really has lots of guts, who finds them all?

800XL_B.jpg

Nice, isn't it?

Max chip for SIO2PC.

Dual Pokey

IDE with compactflash adapter.

256k upgrade (I see the lines going to the PIA).

EEPROM replacement for OS

Battery backup for memory? Is the battery running the ANTIC?

Nice!

Max chip for SIO2PC.
Correct. Something more is hiding on that PCB.

Dual Pokey

Correct (SIO2IDE 4.4a on new PCB, without USB by HardwareDoc)

50% correct ;) Which Memory upgrade might that be?

EPROM replacement for OS
Correct. 16xOS!

Battery backup for memory?
Yep, makes the RAMdisk non-volatile!

Max chip for SIO2PC.
Switchable between sio2pc and rs232? Still looks like an extra chip on there and maybe a push button in addition to slide switch?

Dual Pokey
Support for an external keyboard?

Correct (SIO2IDE 4.4a on new PCB, without USB by HardwareDoc)

EPROM replacement for OS
Correct. 16xOS!

Looks like there is also some Audio/Video jack updates. What's all the wires going to the keyboard top? I am guess leds for some of the stuff. What is plugged into the PBI? Can we eventually see a picture of the back?

Well, this is the 800XL of a friend of mine. It really has lots of guts, who finds them all?

Nice, isn't it?

cya,

Beetle

wow that's really awesome. That's the most upgraded XL I've ever seen. I've never heard about the non-volatile ramdisk with battery backup. Nice you say.... Hell YEA! ...

I'd love to see a 816 cpu upgrade switchable between the original 6502 before power-up. I'd pay good money for that.

OK, you found out most of it, i'll tell the rest:

Switchable between sio2pc and rs232? Still looks like an extra chip on there and maybe a push button in addition to slide switch?

The extra logic is for a hard reset of the computer .

Dual Pokey
Support for an external keyboard?

Exactly. Its the AKI PC Keyboard Interface.

Its the famous battery backed, non volatile and write-protectable 512k SRAM upgrade by Bernd Herale and Mega-Hz.

Looks like there is also some Audio/Video jack updates.

Connectors for Stereo Audio and S-Video output.

What's all the wires going to the keyboard top? I am guess leds for some of the stuff.

Yes, some LEDs and the switches for 512k config, SIO2IDE config, OS selector...

What is plugged into the PBI? Can we eventually see a picture of the back?

Its a Turbo Freezer 2005. (ad)Like all upgrades put in here, its available from ABBUC :cool: (/ad)

Edited by Beetle

:)

It is Covox, 4 channel DA converter. It is used mainly by Polish Atarians. There is not so many programs for it (NEOtracker for example), but I was curious how it works, so I built one.

Edited by krupkaj