IGNORED

Paladin (WIP)

s0c7

Here's a early alpha build of my latest project - a Telengard style game. The working title is Paladin (as the only class available is a warrior/monk hybrid).

Currently there isn't much of a playable game here. You can move around the test level, encounter a couple of monster types, and fight them. However, I haven't created the monster stat tables yet so only generic values are being used. The 2 monsters you can run into at the moment are eventually going to be quite nasty and will only exist on the lower levels of the dungeon. There are also up & down staircases that cannot be used at this time. Several other "special" locations/things will eventually make it into the game.

Gameplay is fairly simple. Move around with the joystick. The number beneath your character is the number of hit points you have. When you encounter a monster, it will change to a menu. Move the stick left/right to scroll through the options. Fire to select. The options are FI - for fight (with weapons), CA - cast (I have not done anything with the spell system yet, so selecting this automatically destroys the monster), EV - evade (this will eventually depend on your stats vs monster stats & dice roll, but at the moment it is just 50/50). Your HP are also a menu option (fire does nothing). The Ln under the monster tells you what level it is. Combat is turn based.

Screenshots and bin below. Comments/suggestions welcome!

post-6510-1173283138_thumb.png

Edited by s0c7

it will be interesting how you will use the large 2600 ram to handle all stuff which is important in a crpg... :D

I understand your point of view, and I'm not sure I can pull it off either. I have thought it out quite a bit though. Everything will essentially be a minimal subset of what a crpg would use. All action will take place in a single dungeon that will be x levels deep. Stats & inventory will be reduced to the bare minimum. I guess we'll see what happens. :)

And we continue along slowly...

What's new:

Added a few more levels, so the up/down stairs work now. Hit fire. The screen you see if you exit the dungeon will probably eventually be replaced by something else.

Added the framework for the magic system. When you select CA it takes you to a new menu which will display icons for the various spells, EX for exit back to the main menu, and the # of spell points you have. If you don't have enough spell points to cast any of the spells, CA won't appear as a option. Spell icons also won't show up if you don't have enough spell points. At the moment, the only spell available is cure light wounds (represented by a heart). It will also not show up as a option if you are at your max HP.

Eventually you'll be able to replenish spell points, but not at the moment.

I've looked into the SuperChip, & I'll probably go that way eventually. For now, I'm keeping everything as is mainly because I know if I have all that extra space I'll start coding sloppily (even more than usual ;) ). Trying to keep it relatively tight for now.

Since I seem to be the first person to download and play the new version, allow me to be the first person to say "Good job!" :cool:

I don't know if anyone suggested this already, but have you thought about animating the players during battle? Nothing fancy, just another posture or something, like drawing the paladin with his sword pointed forward (I know the sprite is already 8 wide, but maybe you could draw the extended sword with a quad-wide, 1-line tall missile if the kernel options will allow it?), and drawing the ghost with his arms raised, etc.

Michael

Since I seem to be the first person to download and play the new version, allow me to be the first person to say "Good job!" :cool:

I don't know if anyone suggested this already, but have you thought about animating the players during battle? Nothing fancy, just another posture or something, like drawing the paladin with his sword pointed forward (I know the sprite is already 8 wide, but maybe you could draw the extended sword with a quad-wide, 1-line tall missile if the kernel options will allow it?), and drawing the ghost with his arms raised, etc.

Michael

Thanks!

Yes, I've thought about it. As I'm unsure of what will be the total # of monsters, etc... I'm holding off on trying it until the final stages. I've got other planned graphical items to worry about as well (the dreaded "box with 3 buttons", etc). It may wind up kind of like the c-64 version of Telengard, where a few of the monsters are animated in some way but most aren't. We'll see. But thanks for the suggestion and please feel free to make any more you may have.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Another alpha release en route to my +2 cart of nerdiness.

What's new:

- A few simple sounds.

- There are now 10 levels.

- Lightning bolt spell.

- The 1st doorway. Eventually certain levels will have a doorway at a strategic point. You can only pass if you have the corresponding key (same color as the level). You don't have to do anything to open the door. Having the key is all that is required.

- The monsters now sometimes drop things when you kill them. At the moment, there is 1 key which will give you passage through the door on level 3. There are also scrolls of wisdom. These will restore spell points. You don't have to do anything, you will automatically pick up anything useful. It is displayed briefly so you can see what it was. There will be at least 1 interactive object in the future.

Nice little game! I love the use of color for the sprites. I think I'll hack a few different monsters in there to make it interesting

Thanks! More monsters will be added later. I'm bogged down doing the boring part of the code right now, so it'll be a while before I get back to them. Also note I haven't gotten around to the stat tables yet, so I'm still using generic stats. They monsters are all pretty much the same at the moment.

If any of the artistic types out there want to give a monster sprite a whirl, I'm open to it. It can be up to 15 rows high by 8 columns wide. Each row can be a different color. Any D&D type monster. I'm especially interested in having a orc/goblin or some other "cannon fodder" type monster.