IGNORED

Mii's are so great.. STEAL IT

AtariJr

head to joystick.com , they have covered the Sony speech that is going on where they started ps' home feature. its a glorified mii and xbl service in a nut shell, with some almost myspaceesk aspects to it. i mean, i guess its good that its free unlike xbl (then again for 600 bucks it better be free), but serious, how are we supposed to consider sony the definitive gaming name when they keep on taking things from the 360 and wii. granted immitation is the best form of flattery, and trust me.. things liek this and the 6 axis show a lot of flattery, but you cant win a console war my "supporting" other company's innovative features. Then again, the copying isnt so much the problem for me as it is the snob attitude that turned me off from sony trying to make the public think its theres and original. I think its odd how they take so much from other companies and people, yet try to sue so many companies for allegedly taking ideas from them.

anywho, i love my little slim ps2, but in my eyes, i think the wii is the only next gen system worth my money (360 once a price drop occurs). i dont want a graphic upgrade, i want something new, a new experience.. and i dont need to wait till fall of 07 to play it.

Edited by AtariJr

The Home feature goes far beyond Miis. Miis are worthless curiousities. The Home feature is more like creating a MMORPG avatar. If they're ripping off anything, it's Everquest (a Sony game) and the virtual space chat programs which followed in it's footsteps.

right.. 3d myspaceesk features that is kinda like a sims or animal crossing.

Who cares what Sony does? Not Mii.

its just that i really like the exclusives better on the playstation consoles more than the microsoft consoles *with the exception of ps3 whos havent all come out yet or are being lost*... also the quality of the 360 honestly scares the living crap out of me, as ive dealt with thier customer service, and they are NO nintendo, and charge everything they can from you... just my personal experiences.. so id probably lean towards the ps3 as my second system, then things like this happen that remind me why i origanally stopped being a sony lover in the first place and it just ticks me off.

still going back and forth, cant afford both.. dont know what ill do. most likely, just wait till more games come out to decide, and just continue playing kingdom hearts and star ocean 2 on my ps2 and battlefront ii on my xbox, and just have fun on my wii.

It really does "steal" more from stuff like the Sims, Animal Crossing or Second Life than it does from Miis. I think it's a neat idea, but to me the screenshots look too realistic and serious to have the appeal that the Mii's do. The appeal of the Mii's and the Wii itself is in approachability and simplicity which seems to be the opposite of the PS3 Home thing. It's definately interesting though - I think Sony is starting to get back on the right track.

I really don't understand why so many people are saying that PS Home is STEALING the Mii idea. PS Home looks more like Sim's Online or Phantasy Star Online or Everquest (a Sony product) or Warcraft or etc etc etc..... products that were available long before the Wii was released.

If anyone wants to level a stealing charge, why not say that Nintendo STOLE the Mii idea from these products and gave them a typical Nintendo spin?

Mendon

Mii's and PS Home are entirely different. Mii's are just avatars. While PS Home does let you make up your own avatar (ala Mii's), Sony actually lets you do something with them.

It would be GREAT if Nintendo would let you actually walk around a virtual meeting ground with your Mii, the way that PS Home will. I guess you could say that Sony copied some ideas...but even then, they have improved on the ideas and made them even better. If anything, they have copied PC MMORPGs and console games like Phantasy Star Online.

Well, let's see:

Playstation Home

Create a custom avatar.

Roam around MMORPG style in a persistent online virtual world.

Interact with virtual items.

Chat in realtime with other users through your avatar (with a similar chat interface to Sims Online)

Miis

Create a custom avatar.

Watch it in a static environment

Trade avatars with other people

Use your collected avatars in supported games.

Yep. They're just exactly alike.

Not!

If anything, Miis are rip offs of ancient RPGs like the Gold Box D&D games by SSI. In those you could create custom images for each member of your party. Then you could use those characters in other Gold Box games, and conceivably trade the characters around. Playstation Home is a MMORPG concept. Or did Nintendo invent the MMORPG when they invented analog controllers, backwards compatibility, and videogames themselves?

Achievements are ripped off from XBox Live, but seem to be described as being more directly used as currency.

Well, let's see:

Playstation Home

Create a custom avatar.

Roam around MMORPG style in a persistent online virtual world.

Interact with virtual items.

Chat in realtime with other users through your avatar (with a similar chat interface to Sims Online)

Miis

Create a custom avatar.

Watch it in a static environment

Trade avatars with other people

Use your collected avatars in supported games.

Yep. They're just exactly alike.

Not!

If anything, Miis are rip offs of ancient RPGs like the Gold Box D&D games by SSI. In those you could create custom images for each member of your party. Then you could use those characters in other Gold Box games, and conceivably trade the characters around. Playstation Home is a MMORPG concept. Or did Nintendo invent the MMORPG when they invented analog controllers, backwards compatibility, and videogames themselves?

Achievements are ripped off from XBox Live, but seem to be described as being more directly used as currency.

Exactly what I was saying! :)

I'd love it if Nintendo added a channel that allowed you to do all of this as well. It doesn't seem that far fetched. Hell, I'd like to see the 360 incorporate something similar as well. The social aspect of Home is what makes it so appealing. Honestly its the first thing I have loved about the PS3.

im not saying that that is all that Home is, im not saying that nintendo and microsoft are the only ones that come up with anything, im not even saying xbl and miis are the best things in the world... what i AM saying, is that i think it ironic that right after saying thier 6 axis controller is '4d' because of the controller technology "they" came up with, now all of a sudden they have a combination of miis and xbl with sim characteristics and its suppost to make us think they are original? no.. sorry.

im not saying that that is all that Home is, im not saying that nintendo and microsoft are the only ones that come up with anything, im not even saying xbl and miis are the best things in the world... what i AM saying, is that i think it ironic that right after saying thier 6 axis controller is '4d' because of the controller technology "they" came up with, now all of a sudden they have a combination of miis and xbl with sim characteristics and its suppost to make us think they are original? no.. sorry.

But original only happens once to everything, then things just evolve. What was so original about the GC? The GBA? It doesn't matter if somethings original or not, what matters is who is remembered for doing something the best.

Edited by Starscream

"Oooh, lookie here! We've got a player community where you look exactly like you do in real life!" Booooring...

It took me a bit to put my finger on it, but the characters and environments almost look too good. It's ends up being less like real-life (where the nerds behind the controller couldn't "rap" to save their lives) and more like, "Oooh, lookie here! We've got a player community where you can look exactly like a drug dealer, a rap artist, or a kingpin!"

I understand that such images go over very well with the young crowd. :D

i think its sad that theres so much emphasis on this type of extra crap. i mean besides the 5 min per week (one time a week) i look at my mii channel, i only see them or really care about them in wii sports. the same with this home channel..

i really wish both of these companies, esp sony right now (as i am looking for a reason to shell that much money for the system, give me star ocean4 and we;ll talk) just focused on making more GAMES instead of "channels" or w/e you want to call this thing where im honestly not going to be using it all that much. in the end, i just hope that this doesnt go to far for either console. the channels are nice as your not SUPPOSED to spend much more time then 5 min in them, however, making it something you spend a lot of time in playing like second life or something is just a bit too much.

all in all i just hope they regulate it... the voting channel will be fun really if they allow you to vote on video games, not if i want to live in a mountain.. its fun , but .. i mean , that channel is kinda bordering the limit of pushing a "video game" world. this , while being a video game related activity like sl, i also think is just pushing it. stop pushing free stuff that we'll play for a few min, and give us some more games... ones on disks. when i showed my mom, who loves wii sports, the everyone votes channel she said "ok thats neat, but when is wii music coming out that you talked about?".

Edited by AtariJr