IGNORED

ColecoVision WIP: Terra Attack

ScottHuggins

Hey guys,

Here is my new game, "Armchair Quarterback" ;) . Actually, it's called "Terra Attack".

Game play is pretty simple. The on screen instructions will get most of the point across. You basically just blast away, protecting your cannons and the Green Towers (4 of them). Each cannon has limited ammo. The red bar below each cannon shows how much ammo is left. The game speed and the enemy AI get smarter as you progress through each level. If you make it pass the BOSS stage (the mother ship takes several hits to killl her), then you get a bonus for the bullets remaining from each cannon and a bonus for the towers that have survived. One destroyed tower will be replaced if you complete that level.

When you complete a level, all your destroyed cannons and ammo are revived.

Different enemies appear as you progress through the game.

The game ends when either:

* you lose all your cannons

* or you lose all your towers

CONTROLS

* left moves the currently HIGHLIGHTED cannon turret left

* right moves the currently HIGHLIGHTED cannon turret right

* left controller button will fire a bullet (missile).

* pressing up will switch to the cannon to your right (if it's not destroyed)

* pressing down will switch to the cannon to your left (if it's not destroyed)

* pressing 1,2, or 3 of keypad will activate shields over the cannons

That's it! I would greatly appreciate anything and everything you all think. The attached ZIP FILE has some screen shots....

Scott

ps: Pixelboy, I am still working on the 'cross hairs thing'. Need to free up some bytes.

EDIT: This is the FINAL .bin release candidate. :)

terra_attack.zip

Edited by ScottHuggins

ps: Pixelboy, I am still working on the 'cross hairs thing'. Need to free up some bytes.

Trying to keep it within 16K, huh? Good for you. :)

The game is great! After a while, you aim better and waste less ammo, but those crosshairs would still make a big difference.

Keep up the good work! The ColecoVision just got a great new homebrew! :D

tjb,

THANKS! I REALLY like your atari 8-bit asteroids project. It was looking very good.

Outstanding! It looks and plays very well.

-tjb

Thanks. I'll be releasing a 5200 binary soon.

-tjb

Manual,

As I said before...I hope you don't think I'm taking your ideas from your game. I think there's enough of a difference, don't you?

That's a pretty cool game! Reminds me of something ;)

Heh, I'm certainly the last guy on this planet that can complain about someone else for stealing ideas :lol:

No really, I like it! Even if it was aiming at another port of Colony 7 it'd be cool :)

Thanks. Man, I've gone back and forth with that. Any sugegstions??? Once you get used to it, it's not so bad, but I agree....it could be improved.

I'd thought about the button #2 in combination with pressing left / right on joystick, but that also seems clumsy. I don't think using the keypad on the controller is much of an option either...

Very cool, but the cannon-switching seems clumsy. Is there a better way to switch between cannons?

Edited by ScottHuggins

Thanks. Man, I've gone back and forth with that. Any sugegstions??? Once you get used to it, it's not so bad, but I agree....it could be improved.

I'd thought about the button #2 in combination with pressing left / right on joystick, but that also seems clumsy. I don't think using the keypad on the controller is much of an option either...

Very cool, but the cannon-switching seems clumsy. Is there a better way to switch between cannons?

I've never played a Colecovision so I'm probably not the one to be giving controller-related suggestions, but I was thinking of a couple of options:

-Use the keypad to directly select the turret (#1 selects left, #2 selects middle, #3 selects right), or

-Have the stick move all turrets at the same time and use keypad to fire (#1 fires left, #2 fires middle, #3 fires right).

-Use one of the fire buttons to fire and the other cycles through the turrets

Edited by vdub_bobby

This game is fun! It reminiscent of the Intellivision version of Atlantis except this is much easier to control and much more fun. The graphics look great, I like the explosions in particular. I'm playing it thru VColeco at work so the sound isn't right. It's super high pitched sounding so I can't comment on that until I hear the real deal.

The cannon switching is a little weird at first but I got used to it. I think it would be easier in this sort of setup:

Button 1 fires obviously

Button 2 alone picks middle cannon, release to move cannon

Button 2 + left picks left cannon release button to move cannon

Button 2 + right picks right cannon release button to move cannon

Actually I'd love an option to use a Super Action Controller and use 3 buttons. First click picks a cannon, then fires that cannon. :)

Thanks, Joe!

I thought the intv version of Atlantis was one of the best games for that system. I think intuitively, your suggestions for the controls sound great. I think I'll try it out and see how it feels...as well as post another binary.

PS: Mess32 is a fine emulator for CV, but wow...I just discovered MEKA. It's AWESOME. Super easy install and the emulation is very very nice.

It emulates several machines...

http://www.smspower.org/meka/

I've never played a Colecovision so I'm probably not the one to be giving controller-related suggestions, but I was thinking of a couple of options:

-Use the keypad to directly select the turret (#1 selects left, #2 selects middle, #3 selects right), or

-Have the stick move all turrets at the same time and use keypad to fire (#1 fires left, #2 fires middle, #3 fires right).

-Use one of the fire buttons to fire and the other cycles through the turrets

The cannon switching is a little weird at first but I got used to it. I think it would be easier in this sort of setup:

Button 1 fires obviously

Button 2 alone picks middle cannon, release to move cannon

Button 2 + left picks left cannon release button to move cannon

Button 2 + right picks right cannon release button to move cannon

Actually I'd love an option to use a Super Action Controller and use 3 buttons. First click picks a cannon, then fires that cannon. :)

Personally, I think the controls are adequate as they are. I've gotten used to cycling between the turrets rapidly by pressing down on the joystick, so I wouldn't bother to use the keypad even if the feature was available. The ability to make a precise turret selection would be nice, but when the game gets faster, I'd rather cycle rapidly between the turrets ra ther than fiddle with the controller buttons. However, having several turret selection options (keypad, or "button+left/down/right") would fit most playing styles.

I'm also wasting a lot of ammo just to aim properly, in order to avoid looking down at the turrets to aim them (I can't look at the UFOs to prepare my next shot AND look at the turret's angle at the same time). That why I'm so looking forward to the crosshairs feature. With it, I can aim the active turret without actually looking at it, with peripheral vision.

Edited by Pixelboy

I wonder if it'd be worth it to give three options for the controls? You could select it when you start a new game. One option available for the way they are now, one for Joe's suggestion of left/right on joystick while pushing button #2, and one utilizing the Super Action Controllers (I love those, btw) and all three buttons the way he suggested (that would make it very quick to switch b/t the cannons).

The cross hairs thing will go in tonight or tomorrow. Not a big thing to do.

I wonder if it'd be worth it to give three options for the controls? You could select it when you start a new game. One option available for the way they are now, one for Joe's suggestion of left/right on joystick while pushing button #2, and one utilizing the Super Action Controllers (I love those, btw) and all three buttons the way he suggested (that would make it very quick to switch b/t the cannons).

I think Joe's suggestion has a lot of merit, but I would like to press down on the joystick to select the middle turret while pressing the button. Also, you should offer the option to inverse the left and right button assignments, to cater to both left- and right-handed players. Perhaps just press the "0" key on the keypad at any time to inverse the buttons...

You have all my thanks, sir. :)

Jeez, now I feel like I made MORE work for you... Sorry Scott!

Jeez, now I feel like I made MORE work for you... Sorry Scott!

:lol: That's what beta-testers are for! Homebrew authors have a love-hate relationship with their testers. ;)

Besides, if this game is going to be released in cart format, with box and manual, then it should be as well-designed as possible, control-wise. Modifying the control setup is the easiest of tasks, after all. It's not like trying to fix those *cough* *cough* hovering UFO remains *cough* *cough* bugs. ;)

I tried it last night on MESS at home. It played great, the sounds are really good particularly the little bit of music at the end of the game. I kind of wish it had some kind of low level sound during the game play though. Like a Space Invaders type 'dum dum dum dum' or the Asteroids 'bum bum'. It's not really necessary but it just feels like this game would have something similar.