IGNORED

IRC Chat Thursdays @ 8pm CDT/CST

JellE

Hey everyone!!! We still have the IRC chat night going on each week, on Thursdays, if anyone wants to come in and check it out. Official gathering time is 8:00pm CST/CDT, and you have 3 options for getting in:

- Use your favorite IRC client to connect to irc.newnet.net and join channel #atari.

- Telnet to irc.atarichat.net. Port is 800.

- Use the Java applet found at http://www.newnet.net.

If you can't make it around 8:00 tonight, you can stop in at anytime, somebody is usually awake. We are predominately 8-bit folks... but a lot of us dabble in other stuff too. (Commodore, Amiga, STs, etc, etc, etc) There isn't much we don't talk about. It is a lot of fun....and very informative.

Hope you can come join us....we will be glad to see ya!!!

Edited by JellE

• 2 weeks later...

Will do, once the 'net' connection at home is sorted (typing this out on a library pc)

I'm assuming or guessing you can get to this 'chat' area/room from i.e or firefox

btw jellie, is/was the odyssey 2 similar or the same as odyssey 1 (BY MAGNAVOX, now part of philips)

Hiya again carmel. Yes... you can use the java applet with IE. I haven't tried it on FF yet, but I am pretty sure it will work the same. As I am sure you already know, you can also use your MS DOS prompt and "telnet" in. (Instructions for both are posted above) Personally, I prefer mIRC or the java applet... didn't care too much for the telnet way.

As for your other question...Odyssey 2 is the "sequel" to the Odyssey game console, made by Magnavox. I can't remember for sure, but I think the Odyssey was released the year I was born... 1972. Thus making it the very FIRST game console. The Odyssey 2 was released in 1978, iirc.

Interesting fact about the original Odyssey (for anyone who doesn't already know) ... it had this game called "Table Tennis." Supposedly, Atari copied it and came up with "Pong." At some point, Magnavox sued Atari over it. So, for all the Pong machines sold, Atari had to give Magnavox royalty money.

The O2 was originally released to be competition for the Atari 2600. The difference between the Odyssey and O2 is that the O2 has a 48-key membrane type keyboard, and it also had an 8-bit 8048 Intel CPU inside. (I know there are other differences, those are just the ones I can remember right off hand.) The O2 never performed as well as the Atari 2600, but it did still manage to rake in sales from well over 1 million units.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You can also always PM me, and I will be more than happy to respond back! :)

Edited by JellE

Will do, once the 'net' connection at home is sorted (typing this out on a library pc)

I'm assuming or guessing you can get to this 'chat' area/room from i.e or firefox

btw jellie, is/was the odyssey 2 similar or the same as odyssey 1 (BY MAGNAVOX, now part of philips)

Hiya again carmel. Yes... you can use the java applet with IE. I haven't tried it on FF yet, but I am pretty sure it will work the same. As I am sure you already know, you can also use your MS DOS prompt and "telnet" in. (Instructions for both are posted above) Personally, I prefer mIRC or the java applet... didn't care too much for the telnet way.

As for your other question...Odyssey 2 is the "sequel" to the Odyssey game console, made by Magnavox. I can't remember for sure, but I think the Odyssey was released the year I was born... 1972. Thus making it the very FIRST game console. The Odyssey 2 was released in 1978, iirc.

Interesting fact about the original Odyssey (for anyone who doesn't already know) ... it had this game called "Table Tennis." Supposedly, Atari copied it and came up with "Pong." At some point, Magnavox sued Atari over it. So, for all the Pong machines sold, Atari had to give Magnavox royalty money.

The O2 was originally released to be competition for the Atari 2600. The difference between the Odyssey and O2 is that the O2 has a 48-key membrane type keyboard, and it also had an 8-bit 8048 Intel CPU inside. (I know there are other differences, those are just the ones I can remember right off hand.) The O2 never performed as well as the Atari 2600, but it did still manage to rake in sales from well over 1 million units.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You can also always PM me, and I will be more than happy to respond back! :)

sent u a PM, will be bk in the library tomorrow as i'm expecting a rew emails

Okay... I have decided to put up a time zone chart so everyone will know what time the chats are in their respective countries. Makes the conversion much more simple! Chats are 8 pm CDT/CST.. so here are the times for everyone else.

USA

Hawaii-3 PM

Alaska-5 PM

California-6 PM

Arizona-6 PM

Colorado-7 PM

Illinois-8 PM

Indiana-9 PM

Florida-9 PM

Other Countries

Austria-Fri 3:00 AM

Belgium-Fri 3:00 AM

Czech Republic-Fri 3:00 AM

France-Fri 3:00 AM

Germany-Fri 3:00 AM

Greece-Fri 4:00 AM

Ireland-Fri 2:00 AM

Poland-Fri 3:00 AM

U.K.-Fri 2:00 AM

Ukraine-Fri 4:00 AM

Canada-same time zones as USA

If any more information is needed... feel free to let me know!! I know the chats are a little late for people in the other countries... we are there 24/7... and you can pop in any time it is convenient!! Thanks a bunch.. and hope y'all can make it!!

Edited by JellE

Okay... I have decided to put up a time zone chart so everyone will know what time the chats are in their respective countries. Makes the conversion much more simple! Chats are 8 pm CDT/CST.. so here are the times for everyone else.

USA

Hawaii-3 PM

Alaska-5 PM

California-6 PM

Arizona-6 PM

Colorado-7 PM

Illinois-8 PM

Indiana-9 PM

Florida-9 PM

Other Countries

Austria-Fri 3:00 AM

Belgium-Fri 3:00 AM

Czech Republic-Fri 3:00 AM

France-Fri 3:00 AM

Germany-Fri 3:00 AM

Greece-Fri 4:00 AM

Ireland-Fri 2:00 AM

Poland-Fri 3:00 AM

U.K.-Fri 2:00 AM

Ukraine-Fri 4:00 AM

If any more information is needed... feel free to let me know!! I know the chats are a little late for people in the other countries... we are there 24/7... and you can pop in any time it is convenient!! Thanks a bunch.. and hope y'all can make it!!

I'll be there tonight plus I'm off tomarrow so I can stay longer tonight