IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 46: UFO Patrol

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's contest is over and no further scores will be accepted. However, the label/box/manual contest has been extended for another week!

Welcome to the UFO Patrol private! We've heard you're a promising young pilot, so we're going to throw you into the thick of things and see what you can do. Your ship is designed to seperate once you reach your destination. You'll have to fight off the UFO's, navigate through the space junk they leave in their path, and dock with your warp drive section in order to make it to the next system. Good luck private!

Note: AtariAge doesn't have any information about this game as far as I can tell, so feel free to download the ROM I've attached to this post.

Game Information

• Game Name: UFO Patrol
  • Released By: Suntek (?)
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Rom Hunter

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, March 22nd at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 111,950 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 87,150 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 50,500 (johnnywc) [+9]
  4. 49,750 (Omegamatrix) [+8]
  5. 45,200 (vdub_bobby) [+7]
  6. 44,000 (ewing92) [+6]
  7. 39,500 (GamerInThailand) [+5]
  8. 22,800 (Goochman) [+4]
  9. 16,750 (LarcenTyler) [+3]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Run Your Own Pirate Game Company! - See rules in next post...
    • Nathan Strum: 6 points for label art, 6 points for box art, and 6 points for manual.
    • Zoyx: 5 points for label art.

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 1886 (David B Yancey)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [473]
  2. SpiceWare [333]
  3. Deteacher [288]
  4. keilbaca [175]
  5. LarcenTyler [172]
  6. vdub_bobby [168]
  7. rheffera [133]
  8. Nathan Strum [113]
  9. scogey [95]
  10. Goochman [94]
  11. the 5th ghost [87]
  12. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  13. BrianC [78]
  14. Cybergoth [73]
  15. shadow460 [72]
  16. shawnb [71]
  17. Christophero Sly [70]
  18. atari2600land [70]
  19. Malc74 [63]
  20. johnnywc [63]
  21. Zoyx [49]
  22. Recycled [46]
  23. theKLT [37]
  24. SeaGtGruff [36]
  25. 128bytes [34]
  26. Jred [26]
  27. Crazy Climber [26]
  28. doctorclu [22]
  29. phaxda [21]
  • ewing92 [21]
  • Captain Beard [20]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Mindcircus [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in UFO Patrol

• Coming Soon

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. Unfortunately, AtariAge does not have a scanned of typed copy of the manual to this game (assuming there even WAS a manual in the first place).
Ok, docking isn't really that hard. Just get into a postition just to the right of the docking station and simply wait for it to line up with you. Then, just slam 'er in! :)

Be careful when your shot hits an obstacle. Your shot comes back at you and you can't fire again until it passes.

Try to knock out the 2 flying ships as quickly as possible. The longer they're allowed to fly around, the more crap they throw all over the screen for you to have to clear away.

Dock as quickly as possible. You get bonus points for unused fuel, so don't mess around. :)

First of all, you MUST destroy the flying ships immediately. This will give you the largest amount of time to deal with the wall.

Second, when breaking through the wall, do not keep your ship all the way to the right edge. Move in closer. You can't shoot again until the first shot passes by you. The closer you are to the wall, the faster your shot will pass and the faster you can take your next shot. Keep your self just far enough away from the wall that you can fire and duck out of the way quickly.

Accuracy is key too. Try to make the hole just big enough for you to get through. Missed shots and stray hits only waste precious time.

I'll tell you this about the levels after the solid wall...it starts over with the first board, but the speed increases....and the 3rd board the 2nd time through is a b*tch.

--Zero

UFO_Patrol.zip

I have an interesting challenge that I hope will be a lot of fun this week, so here goes:

Imagine for a minute that it's 1983. You've started a company, and you want to get in on this video game craze that's sweeping the nation! Unfortunately, you don't have any programmers! Luckily, you've made some contacts in Hong Kong that do some freelance video game design. You just bought your first game from them, and it's this one! Now all you have to do is design a box, manual, and some label art and you're ready to pump one more video game into an already overcrowded market and make a few bucks!

This challenge has three parts. Feel free to do as many or as few of them as you want:

• Design a Cartridge Label - Put together some label art and choose a name for your game. You are limited only by your imagination, but every label should at least feature the name of the game on it somewhere. Every submission will get at least 3 points.
  • Design a Box - Design a box to house the game. Again, you're free to create whatever you want here, as long as the resulting box could theoretically hold a cartridge and manual. The box should also feature the name of the game on it somewhere, and a description of the game on the back. Every submission will get at least 3 points. Front and back images of the box are sufficient, you don't need to do sides, tops or bottoms unless you want to.
  • Write a Manual - Create a manual that describes how to play the game. You can choose whatever format you wish, but every manual should at the very least have: A description of what's going on in the game (preferably with some manner of storyline), a description of how to actually play the game (including what (if anything) the console switches do), and a summary of how the scoring works in the game. Every submission will get at least 3 points. A text-only manual is sufficient, though extra artwork and screenshots and such will likely result in bonus points.

Note that I will also be awarding bonus points as I see fit. I have no set criteria for how I will award bonus points, but if I see something very well done, very creative, humorous, or otherwise exceptional, you could end up getting twice as much points as someone who threw something together quickly.

You are free to use whatever pictures you want... if you want to steal the label art from Space Invaders, or use some picture you found off Google, that's fine by me... however, I expect any text (box description, stories in the manual, etc) to be your own work. Of course, if your label art is just the Space Invaders label with "UFO Parol" written in, you won't get any bonus points.

Feel free to be creative! You are not required to call the game UFO Patrol. If you want to instead pretend that the characters on-screen are paramecium fighting it out in a petri dish, then so be it! The more creative you are, the better chance you have at getting bonus points! Also, do not feel limited by what already exists for the 2600... if you're designing a label, you can make it a Parker Bros. style label if you want, or you can design your own case shape and a label to go with it. If you wish, you can also design your own company name and logo and include that on the label/box/manual.

You have until the end of this weeks contest to finish your submissions (if that's too short a deadline, let me know... I may be willing to extend it another week or so). I encourage you to post works-in-progress, but please let me know if something you've posted is your final submission or not! Please use standard file formats so that everyone can view your work.... GIF, JPG and PNG are great for box art and labels... plain text, PDF, or HTML is fine for manuals.

--Zero

First score for me: 23,300

Um, ok...interesting game. Hints? Hmmm....don't crash into anything and learn how to dock with the big arrow-like thing on the left.

Ok, docking isn't really that hard. Just get into a postition just to the right of the docking station and simply wait for it to line up with you. Then, just slam 'er in! :)

Be careful when your shot hits an obstacle. Your shot comes back at you and you can't fire again until it passes.

Try to knock out the 2 flying ships as quickly as possible. The longer they're allowed to fly around, the more crap they throw all over the screen for you to have to clear away.

Dock as quickly as possible. You get bonus points for unused fuel, so don't mess around. :)

I'd love to score bonus points in the super challenge...only I'm not artistic by any stretch. I'll just have to hope I can get the points for the best hints. :)

EDIT: New score: 33,700.

post-9712-1173994451_thumb.png

post-9712-1173995160_thumb.png

Edited by Deteacher

What's with all these bizarre games being requested? What happened to the good old stuff from the NTSC publishers?
LOL

Yep, my choice will always be an obscure Taiwanese game that IMO deserves some attention.

post-6203-1173998462_thumb.jpg

Ze_ro,

UFO Patrol was indeed released by Suntek, but the original version (X'Mission) was released by Home Vision:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...0549&MENU=2

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Every submission will get at least 3 points.

Can you clarify this a little? Does that mean if I turn in 10 submissions, I get 30 points? If I turn in 100, I get 300? (Don't put it past me... I can be a desperate man at times. ;) )

Or does that mean every person who submits something gets 3 points? But only 3 per category, regardless of how many they submit?

here's a hint for you, ROM (and for anyone else having trouble on this level.) I got past it, but it took some practice.

First of all, you MUST destroy the flying ships immediately. This will give you the largest amount of time to deal with the wall.

Second, when breaking through the wall, do not keep your ship all the way to the right edge. Move in closer. You can't shoot again until the first shot passes by you. The closer you are to the wall, the faster your shot will pass and the faster you can take your next shot. Keep your self just far enough away from the wall that you can fire and duck out of the way quickly.

Accuracy is key too. Try to make the hole just big enough for you to get through. Missed shots and stray hits only waste precious time.

I'll tell you this about the levels after the solid wall...it starts over with the first board, but the speed increases....and the 3rd board the 2nd time through is a b*tch. I'll post my score when I get home tonight.

EDIT: 71,500

post-9712-1174090143_thumb.png

Edited by Deteacher

Every submission will get at least 3 points.

Can you clarify this a little? Does that mean if I turn in 10 submissions, I get 30 points? If I turn in 100, I get 300? (Don't put it past me... I can be a desperate man at times. ;) )

Or does that mean every person who submits something gets 3 points? But only 3 per category, regardless of how many they submit?

I had a feeling someone was going to ask this... I wasn't too sure what would be the best way, but I think 3 points per category would probably be best.

As far as bonus points go, if you end up with several well-done entries, then I'll definitely give bonus points... but I'm more likely to be impressed by 1 really well-done submission than by 5 mediocre ones.

--Zero

I had a feeling someone was going to ask this... I wasn't too sure what would be the best way, but I think 3 points per category would probably be best.

Got it - thanks! One submission per category it is, then.

So, a question for you all then... since this is supposed to be a pirate video game company, should I go for quality, or authenticity? :cool:

I'm now up to the solid wall the 2nd time through. Man, this is tough. I almost made it, though. It's nice that you can bump up against the obstacles and the walls on this level without crashing. I'm dying to see how hard it gets the 3rd time though the boards. Hopefully today...

I remember asking you about this game a long time ago, Rom. I really like it and actually played it a couple of times today. I thought I'd post a score and might try to do better later. This is one game that I would really like to see convertd, but I think Thomas thinks it's pretty crappy. I really like this game though and think it's good.

post-7074-1174262232_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omegamatrix

I remember asking you about this game a long time ago, Rom. I really like it and actually played it a couple of times today. I thought I'd post a score and might try to do better later. This is one game that I would really like to see convertd, but I think Thomas thinks it's pretty crappy. I really like this game though and think it's good.
I think so too.

The gameplay is quite frantic.

I hope Thomas will convert it to NTSC some day (although I prefer him to look inside Sancho's Words-Attack ROM to find out what exactly is the purpose of that game).

8)

• Design a Cartridge Label - Put together some label art and choose a name for your game. You are limited only by your imagination, but every label should at least feature the name of the game on it somewhere. Every submission will get at least 3 points.

An attempt at a cartridge label is attached. The background picture actually has more of a 70s flair to it. But being from Hong Kong, that is probably something they would use. I think I captured the whole, rush-to-market-any-game-that-came-out-of-your-ass vibe.

post-11623-1174512046_thumb.jpg