IGNORED

N64 with backup unit - what's it worth?

jetset

Maybe someone here can help...

I posted on a bulletin board (online) at my work about classic game systems....(I got a great condition O2 with about 25 games once for $20 bucks along with some other great buys)

Anyways, soemone replied he has a Nintendo 64 with a few games, and a "Dr. Z64 backup unit". Now...I'm sure he got it wrong, I've searched the web, and have found info on the Doctor V64, and also a Z64, but no DrZ64, so he must have one or the other? Is there such a thing as a Dr z64? In any case, what are these things worth? Even he said he didnt know how much to ask for it so I told him I'd think it over and let him know Monday.

Any ideas?

There is a Mr. Backup Z64 - I've got one of those and it's quite an awesome unit. Coolest of all the 64 backup devices in my book :)

Uses Zip disks (100MB standard, can be replaced with a 250MB mech) and can even be modded with a hard drive. They were quite pricey back in the day, don't know what they'd go for now though.

If you don't want it I would be interested in buying it.

Possible. I still dont know what it is worth though to offer him. Maybe we can do a trade too, that is of course if I buy from him. I'll let you know.

My local craigslist had an ad for a Z64 unit with a few zip discs. The person wanted $160 for it. I don't know if it ever sold, but it hasn't been listed for over a month now.

I got a boxed 256M Doctor V64 with extra 128M memory cart for $10 a few months ago, but I just got lucky at that price. I haven't done anything with it yet because it either needs games burned to a CD (and I'm not sure what format they should be in, raw "ISO-full-o-bins" or something else), or loader software on a PC (ucon64 would probably work, but I'm a Mac guy, so PC parallel ports aren't too common for me). It also needs a cart adapter for the lockout chip (which was included), though an actual cart with the ROM chip removed might work too, to allow for game saves.

It has a sticker on it that says it belonged to Iguana Entertainment (aka Acclaim Studios Austin), which is kind of cool because that means it has a history. It was probably used to develop or test actual released N64 games.

So basically these are worth somewhere between $10 and $160, ha ha. A Z64 would maybe have been better for me since I have Macs with zip drives. I'm just gonna guess $40-$80, since that's what Tototek charges for Sega Genesis and SNES game copier units, unless there's something special about it (like the history of my own V64).

Game backup units like this can also be good for use as homebrew development systems, but the N64 isn't likely to be a significant homebrew target for a while yet.

I bought one of these. I never used the CD to load games, usually just d/l roms via the parrallel port.

It's in a box somewhere .. I'd have to dig it up but if someone's interested I would't mind selling it.

PM sent

Well I made him an offer for the game unit and the backup unit and he accepted, so I should be getting the unit(s) within the week. I'll be trading or selling the backup unit. Maybe for cash, or maybe for the equivalent in common N64 games or something. I'll let you guys know (I got several PM's as well as McGrails offer).

A z64 is probably worth between 100-150, unless of course it's on Ebay, then it's worth much more :) V64s seem to fetch more, especially in good condition w/box and manual. CD64s are worth about as much as a Z64 and the V64jrs are a little more rare as they were released near the end of the N64's lifetime. The 512m V64jr is the hardes of all to find.

Bruce, are you willing to part w/the extra 128m memory module? I've got a 128m v64 looking for an extra mem module.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the unit arrived today! It's in nice shape too!

I tried testing it, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing! the unit boots up fine, Theres even a zip disk in there with 6 games. I couldn't load them but that's likely because I don't know how to work the thing. If anyone's got offers PM me I'll take the best by Sunday. Cash works, but since I'm only going to spend the $$ on games anyway if you have something to offer for trade let me know.

post-997-1175216492_thumb.jpg

post-997-1175216866_thumb.jpg

post-997-1175217190_thumb.jpg

Hey peoples. The latest offer is $100. :D If anyone wants to offer more let me know.

Since I've decided to keep the actual game unit (well, my kids decided for me actually) I'll take the equivalent in N64 games or a combo of cash and games as well.

I tried testing it, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing! the unit boots up fine, Theres even a zip disk in there with 6 games. I couldn't load them but that's likely because I don't know how to work the thing.

Turn on the Z64, then after it's completed "booting" then turn on your N64. A menu should appear on your television and you can load the games from there.

I have a V64, a CD64, and a Z64. The Z64 was my first (bought it new) and it's still one of my favorites. The only hassle about it is keeping a zip drive around for transferring files back and forth.

• 2 months later...