IGNORED

which drive?

STeSearcher

I need a new drive for my recently aquired 1200XL. (yes, I did remove the current limiting resistor) I'm getting back into 8bits after a long absence.

Between a 1050 and a XF551, which is better? I might get a Myide intermal if they ever become available again but I need a drive.

"Better" is based on judgement. The 551 has more features, but is also more prone to problems. 551 is DSDD 360K, the 1050 is SSED 127K. There are lots of upgrade chips available for the 1050 to make it SSDD 180K. The 1050+chip is my favorite. But I also have a stock 551 and an upgraded 551 running 3.5" 720K.

Edited by kheller2

Considering that there was hardly any commercial software, maybe none, that actually used larger than SSSD 90K capacity 810 compatible disks, I'd go with the 1050 which you will find much more easily and much cheaper becuase it matches your 1200XL. Unless you plan on actually formatting a bunch of 360K disks and converting all your files to those size disks. Even an 810 drive would be enough for you if you are only planning on ever using the standard commercial disks and disk images written back to floppy, most of which are 90K. As stated, the 1050 and 810 both have double density upgrades available too.

Considering that there was hardly any commercial software, maybe none, that actually used larger than SSSD 90K capacity 810 compatible disks, I'd go with the 1050 which you will find much more easily and much cheaper becuase it matches your 1200XL. Unless you plan on actually formatting a bunch of 360K disks and converting all your files to those size disks. Even an 810 drive would be enough for you if you are only planning on ever using the standard commercial disks and disk images written back to floppy, most of which are 90K. As stated, the 1050 and 810 both have double density upgrades available too.

IMO, the best use for an XF 551 is to upgrade it to use a 3-1/2" mechanism. However, a 5-1/4" is still the best choice for a single drive system. CSS sold a dual-drive upgrade for quite a few years. I don't know if they still have any, but I used the 551 as a 5-1/4" D1: with a 3-1/2" (720K) as D2: (slave drive). If you want storage, get a 551. If you want neat copying options and flexibility, get a 1050 and upgrade it with a Happy. And of course, APE is an awesome option, and it just keeps getting better and better.

-Larry

Back in the day, I had a 1050 with at least a Doubler upgrade (can't remember anymore). I guess the SIO2PC lets me store stuff on the PC harddrive and access it through the SIO cable?

I'll probably get a Happy upgraded 1050 then. Eventually I'll get a 551 for completeness.

Great advice guys, thanks! :)

Get a SIO2PC and a 1050 and do a US Doubler upgrade.

Or better still,find an IndusGT! :)

Hi Ed-

Do you use an Indus GT with SDX or Dos XL? I'm presuming that you use one of these so as to be able to use the Synchromesh. I like the Indus, but I find the limitations and "quirkiness" of Synchromesh troublesome. Maybe if there were a way to use it with MyDos, I'd be more favorable to it.

-Larry

Hi Ed-

Do you use an Indus GT with SDX or Dos XL? I'm presuming that you use one of these so as to be able to use the Synchromesh. I like the Indus, but I find the limitations and "quirkiness" of Synchromesh troublesome. Maybe if there were a way to use it with MyDos, I'd be more favorable to it.

-Larry

I hardly ever use the Indus myself. I find the 1050's more versatle between the US upgrades and the Happys. I have 3 1050's hoooked to my PROsys PC and 2 hooked to my real 8bit. The 8b also has the Indus and a 3.5" XF551.

Hi Ed-

-Larry

Hi Larry!

No,I don't have SDX :x and don't use DOS XL.I use SpartaDos 3.2 or 3.3a.

As you can see,I don't run the GTs in Synchromesh.

I just love the reliabliity and quality of the Indus! (I buy every one I can! :) )

Today is my birthday and I hit the big 60! :sad:

BTW....I have had trouble with my KMK/JZ interface and ,if you don't mind,I will send you a PM.

Good to hear from you!

Hi Ed-

-Larry

Hi Larry!

I just love the reliabliity and quality of the Indus! (I buy every one I can! :) )

BTW....I have had trouble with my KMK/JZ interface and ,if you don't mind,I will send you a PM.

Good to hear from you!

Hello Dino...hope you have a nice 60'th...and treat yourself to an indus gt and think of me...i USED to own one before it went brown bread and found its way in to the communal dustbin

How about asking Atari for a 'free' bus pass

Carmel,I might be grey,but I don't use a zimmer,yet! :)

Just got back from a surprise birthday party and am *somewhat* legless!

(How is that for Brit slang? Thank you,BBC!)

Seriously,I cannot express what a pleasure it is to be part of this wonderful Atari community!

Atari Forever!

I like the humour Dino...keep it up

Just stick with the Atari, it will do more for you then plastic surgery or oil of ulay will (i.e. keeping you younger)

You must have spent a fair bit on the Atari thing in your time (mostly disk or cart based i guess, as cassette format never took off in the US)

Legless...someone's obviously slipped you a few too many diamond white's or scrumpy jacks (i.e. very potent cider, and lethal as well)

[

Hi Larry!

Good to hear from you!

Congrats on the 60; likewise; ask away...

-Larry

Hi Ed-

-Larry

In Mexico Atari sold the Indus GT with dos 2.5.. jejeje, i have one, you can use it with mydos but you can't use skewed sectors.

In Mexico Atari sold the Indus GT with dos 2.5.. jejeje, i have one, you can use it with mydos but you can't use skewed sectors.

Hi Javiero-

I'm not sure quite what you are saying there. The Indus sold in Mexico was supplied with Dos 2.5? I presume that it did not have a Synchromesh loader for Dos 2.5. (?)

I've put away my Indus again, but I am curious if anyone has ever tried to load Synchromesh using Dos XL (or SDX) and then boot another Dos and see if another driver could still communicate at high speed with the Indus. Incidently, I used to have an Indus that had a different daughter board in it that used an industry-standard PC drive. Also, as best I can estimate from the skew, Indus Synchromesh communicates at about "0C" (47 kbs), vs. 52 for Happy and 54 for the USD.

-Larry

Hi Javiero-

I'm not sure quite what you are saying there. The Indus sold in Mexico was supplied with Dos 2.5? I presume that it did not have a Synchromesh loader for Dos 2.5. (?)

I've put away my Indus again, but I am curious if anyone has ever tried to load Synchromesh using Dos XL (or SDX) and then boot another Dos and see if another driver could still communicate at high speed with the Indus. Incidently, I used to have an Indus that had a different daughter board in it that used an industry-standard PC drive. Also, as best I can estimate from the skew, Indus Synchromesh communicates at about "0C" (47 kbs), vs. 52 for Happy and 54 for the USD.

-Larry

No, my drive was supplied with dos 2.5 and says made in México by Atari. I'll try to post a photo later in the evening.

• 5 months later...