IGNORED

want to know if this possible with bBasic

Liberty_OSS

I want to program a game based on my job unloading trucks and I do not know if my idea has exceeded the 2600's hardware limitations.

so here is my idea:

Objective:

grab the colored boxes before they hit the floor and you get a "write up" from the store manager for broken freight, now each box must be placed on its color of Palette only.

scoring:

for each piece of freight you put on its proper palette you get 2 points, now to clear a level you must get all the freight on its correct palette. so for every complete palette you get 50 points and clear that wave where the games speed will increase a little more making it so you have to be more careful as you play.

each wave will have 30 pieces of freight for all 5 palettes attempting to put freight on the color of palette will result in a 2 point reduction in your score for that wave.

Controls:

use the left joystick to control the player and move him up down left right around the receiving area of the store

pressing the joystick button will allow you drop freight on a palette.

to grab freight simply run to the line at the top and touch it but be quick before it hits the floor :)

game over:

this happens when you let a piece of freight hit the floor 3 times and get a "write up" each time. although if a piece of freight hits the floor you cannot get to the next level but you can finish the one you are on to get the most points possible once you have all the remaining freight on its palette the game will end there with you final score if you missed a piece but still have a life remaining.

Below is a screen mock up made in paint:

post-12821-1176367221_thumb.jpg

so what do you think possible yes/not maybe so ?, I think it might be but it would probably have to be around 2K though and use the multi sprite Kernel. any comments on this would be most welcomed.

thanks for taking time to read and respond.

Liberty_OSS

Well i had a look at bBatari basic and I have decided to NOT do a game in it as I do not fully know how to

code in assembly for the 6502 or 6507 variant CPUs :(, so I will code my Game in Blitz 2D instead as I can work with it a

little easier for now.

Although I am finding Andrew Davies Tutorials very enjoyable and interesting too as well as the ones written by Kirk Isreal and a couple written by Seaatgruff so maybe someday I will be able to code somthing who know :).

well anyways got to go and thanks for the reply :), also would like to great site and excellent content as well as history and info you guys rock !.

Later

Liberty_OSS

OK, some comments here anyway...

The line of parcels on the belt as shown seems undoable to me, since they use four different colors on a black background, but you can have only four colors on a line, unless you rewrite them on the fly. Anyway, with the size and distance of the parcels you currently have, it seems undoable to me since the parcels are also too close together.

But given some constraints, something like this could be possible. The outcome depends on if you want the player sprite to be able to be visible on the same scanline as the parcels or not. If you do, you can only use Player 2 and Player 2's missiles and the ball for displaying the parcels, which means you can have up to 6 parcels of the same color next to each other on the belt, plus one parcel of a different color.

If the player sprite can be restricted not to be seen on the same line as the parcels, then you can also use Player 1 and its missiles for the parcels, which give you up to 6 parcels of one color, up to 6 of another and one additional parcel in a third color.

From then on, there are some things left out in your description, for instance, you don't exactly say how the play mechanics should work. Do the parcels automatically fall to the floor after a time as soon as the player touches them, unless he grabs them? Or do they fall to the floor even when left untouched? And how is the player supposed to send a parcel to its proper pallette? Does he run to the pallette and drops the parcel there? Or does he throw the parcel through the air? If he throws it, which directions can it fly, and how is determined where the parcel lands?

The fact that two pallettes with different colors share the same scanline somehow also screams "undoable" to me, though it might be doable with some trickery. If the rest is doable really depends on how the parcels get transported and stacked on the pallettes. More screenshots and a better description would be helpful here.

Oh, and the screen ratio is wrong anyway since a normal TV screen is more wide than high.