IGNORED

NES High Score Club 2nd Season Week #7 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

vdub_bobby

You've fought your way out of a POW camp, now fight your way out of the sewer! Yes, it's time for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

Note: Only scores earned in games played from the beginning will count - no continues! And no leeching! Going in and out of sewers to grab pizza/weapons is ok, in moderation, but keep moving forward in the game!

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (April 24) morning at approximately 8:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

276,000 rjchamp3 (+10 pts)

269,800 gdement (+8 pts)

108,400 bust3dstr8 (+6 pts)

104,100 vdub_bobby (+4 pts)

71,100 MetalSlime23 (+2 pts +1 pt for best tip)

70,200 8th lutz (+1 pt)

52,100 Jibbajaba (+1 pt)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

370,000 Marlon D Morrow

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (34 pts)

2. vdub_bobby (32 pts)

3. LarcenTyler (27 pts)

4. bust3dstr8 (23 pts)

5. MetalSlime23 (18 pts)

6. gdement (15 pts)

6. 8th lutz (15 pts)

8. duncantoml (10 pts)

9. Slayer (8 pts)

10. Bucket (7 pts)

11. Cybergoth (2 pts)

Game Info

Original game developed by Konami in 1989.

Other platforms: Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, MSX, Wii, ZX Spectrum

Prequels/Sequels/Spinoffs: Many! Konami released two arcade TMNT games, both of them four-player beat-em-ups. The NES also got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (1990, a port of the arcade TMNT), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (1991), and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (1993).

The Gameboy got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (1990), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers (1991), and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (1993). The SNES saw releases of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (1992) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (1993). Genesis owners got to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The HyperStone Heist (1992) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (1993). Spinoffs and sequels were released for many modern systems as well.

Tips

MetalSlime23:

Tip: at the end of some of the manhole stages there is a slice of pizza. If you enter, grab the pizza, exit and reneter, the pizza will be there again. Use this to replenish your dying turtles!

Tip: when fighting Rocksteady at the end of the warehouse stage, use Donatello. Jump on the top of the stacked crates on the right side of the screen. Crouch down and quickly keep stabbing downwards. Rocksteady will run to the boxes until he can't go any further. He will then run in place and jump. When he jumps Donatello's staff is just long enough to poke him in the back. Keep doing this until he dies, leaving Donatello unharmed!

gdement:

As far as progression, I got to the technodrome. I found the lvl3-4 bosses are easy if you have scrolls, so when you find those make sure you hold on to them.
Edited by vdub_bobby

I love this game, unfortunately I died at the underwater bomb stage (because I forgot where all the bombs are), and when I re-started the level all my turtles were almost dead.

post-7659-1176863628_thumb.png

Tip: at the end of some of the manhole stages there is a slice of pizza. If you enter, grab the pizza, exit and reneter, the pizza will be there again. Use this to replenish your dying turtles!

Tip: when fighting Rocksteady at the end of the warehouse stage, use Donatello. Jump on the top of the stacked crates on the right side of the screen. Crouch down and quickly keep stabbing downwards. Rocksteady will run to the boxes until he can't go any further. He will then run in place and jump. When he jumps Donatello's staff is just long enough to poke him in the back. Keep doing this until he dies, leaving Donatello unharmed!

I wandered around quite a bit on the 3rd level. If I had known directly where to go my score would probably be at least 50k less than it is. I don't really want a leeching victory, so if rjchamp beat the game then my score should be docked below his.

As far as progression, I got to the technodrome. I found the lvl3-4 bosses are easy if you have scrolls, so when you find those make sure you hold on to them. But at the technodrome I was basically dead on arrival and had no scrolls left. I tried to take a photo since I knew that's as far as I was going to get, but my camera didn't want to expose without the flash, and I couldn't just let my guy get killed...er.. "caught" so I had to move.

post-5182-1177241724_thumb.jpg

Accounting for all the running around on level 3, I'll call my score at 269,800. I wasn't sure how to get through that level for a while and the score got unfairly racked up.

This game should probably be scored differently in the HSC to account for how easily it can be leeched, even unintentionally. Maybe a 100k bonus for each level beaten or something.

Game Info

Original game developed by Konami in 1989.

This was a surprise to me. I was cleaning my cart before playing earlier, and noticed the ROM chips have Konami markings on them. I had no idea Konami had anything to do with this game. Now after checking wikipedia I see Ultra was a Konami brand. I'm still not sure why they wouldn't put their well known name on this game, and stuck "Ultra" on it instead. I always thought this game was from a different company than the others in the series.

• 7 years later...

post-41089-0-91376100-1421194419_thumb.png

I managed to get through this without losing a turtle. There's 4 different spots to get the scroll item, so you don't have to return to the same place. I did go back and get an extra set of missiles once to make it easier to fend off the steamrollers and explore the different areas of stage 3. Energy revival through pizza pickups also mandated a few return trips on stage 5. Other than that, I kept moving and went to different areas.