IGNORED

Oregon Trail, King's Quest, Carmen Sandiego

BoatofCar

In the cases of Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego, just as dwhyte said, it's probably because of the fact that the Apple II was the most used computer in the educational system in the US. As far as Kings Quest goes it's probably because this was released in 1984 and as far as I can see this was the last year that Sierra released anything on the A8's probably because they no longer saw the A8's as a viable platform.

Fact is that Sierra was paid by IBM to create KQ for the release of the PCJr

/T

How come the Apple][ got ports of these but the (supposedly superior) Atari 800 didn't?

An Apple //e with extended 80-column card, or an Apple //c, can display 560x192 double-high-res graphics and has 128K RAM. The 7800 may be able to meet those requirements with a suitable cart, but I don't think the Atari 8-bits can.

How does one load a Basic program file from a Windows drive to WIN800?

Two ways:

- load the program through the virtual hard drive on Atari800Win PLus with the LOAD"H:BLAHBLAH.BAS (remember the 8.3 character limit) and RUN commands

- force it to load like a tape with CLOAD and RUN after choosing the file with ALT+T.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Two ways:

- load the program through the virtual hard drive on Atari800Win PLus with the LOAD"H:BLAHBLAH.BAS (remember the 8.3 character limit) and RUN commands

- force it to load like a tape with CLOAD and RUN after choosing the file with ALT+T.

--

Atari Frog

Thanks - but for the life of me, I can't seem to get A800Win-Plus to boot into Basic. I've always used it by autobooting cart/tape/disk images. I went through all the settings, and it looks like everything is setup right. What could I be doing wrong? My last attempt was with the following settings:

Machine Type - OS-B

Memory Size - 48K

Video System - NTSC

Settings/Options - 'Enable SIO Patch for faster disk access' is the only one checked.

For the OSes and BASIC roms, I have them all assigned to the proper rom images on my hard drive. Any help appreciated. Thank you!

--Timster--

Is the Oregon Trail on AtariMania different than what you are expecting?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=3819

I just tried the version on Atarimania. For some reason, I think I remember a version from 20 years ago that had a green GR. 0 background and was designed or labeled by MECC (the Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium, or something like that). Did an Atari MECC version ever exist? The version seems pretty close to the Atari MECC version I remember...

I finally got to try this Atari basic version of the game (thanks to all the help here), and my impression is that it's a very bad, "poor man's" port of the Apple II version. All text, and just repeated scenario after scenario. I don't think IMHO that this is a 'formal' commercial release.

--Timster--

Nope, the game never made it to the Atari (this has been confirmed by a former MECC employee). The only version we have is the one by Softswap, a project set up by educators at the time.

For the record, here is the COMPLETE list of programs released by MECC for the Atari:

1 2 3 - No. 1201 - Instructional Computing Demonstration

1 2 3 - No. 1202 - Elementary Biology

1 2 3 - No. 1203 - Music I - Terms and Notation

1 2 3 - No. 1204 - Metric and Problem Solving

1 * 3 - No. 1205 - Basic Arithmetic

1 2 3 - No. 1206 - Music III - Scales and Chords

1 2 3 - No. 1207 - Earth Science

1 2 3 - No. 1208 - The Market Place

1 2 3 - No. 1209 - Prefixes

1 * 3 - No. 1210 - Graphing

1 2 3 - No. 1211 - Music II - Rhythm and Pitch

1 * 3 - No. 1212 - Word Games