IGNORED

River Raid Tanks Discovered!

Albert

Wow! Do the tanks shoot?  :o

They didn't seem to in the version I tried, but we should defer to Thomas. Maybe he can find some hidden Tank Shooting code in there. Maybe this is why they were pulled out, since the shooting code wasn't done? Seems silly to put tanks on the road if they're not going to shoot at the player as he or she goes by the bridge he or she just destroyed. :)

..Al

WOW! I thought that prior thread was a farce! Is this for real, or did Thomas add new code?

Well, I see by reading that you actually found the tank code. I guess 4K wasn't enough to have tanks & shots. I always thought the tanks in the 5200/8bit version were an awesome idea. The shots are like Missile Command explosions, I would think they are a player. Maybe that's why the shots couldn't be put into RR2600 -- the jet is one player, and the enemies seem to be comprised of the other player.

Thomas, I'm sorry I ever doubted you. What an Awesome find!

I can't figure why the tanks were 'inadvertantly' left out. Even though the tanks don't fire, the animation is cool and helps liven up the game's relatively spartan backdrop.

BTW: Your ticket to Atari 2600 God-dome has already been punched. So, you can stop showing off. ;)

Ben

So, the tanks were set to hide until river 1,024? It might seem like a bug at first but, as Occam says, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one.

Assuming the tank code was left unfinished due to lack of budget, time, or ROM space, the easiest and least intrusive way to disable it would be setting the tanks' "starting wave" impossibly high.

I always thought the tanks in the 5200/8bit version were an awesome idea. The shots are like Missile Command explosions, I would think they are a player. Maybe that's why the shots couldn't be put into RR2600 -- the jet is one player, and the enemies seem to be comprised of the other player.

In the 8-bit version, the explosion appears below the tank without overlapping it. If the 2600 version were the same, that would allow displaying both using one player. The vertical area taken up by the bridge, plus the blank space beneath it, seems tall enough to accomodate.

And, yes, the explosion looks just like 8-bit Missile Command: color cycling at a constant, high brightness. Same defense contractor? ;)

The tanks in 8-bit River Raid drive towards the riverbank to touch it before shooting. No matter how slowly I fly or how quickly I shoot the bridge in Thomas' hacked version, the tank never reaches the river before going off-screen. Could that be why it's not shooting?

Perhaps the tank could be placed nearer the bridge, or on a wider stretch of river.

Excellent find, either way. Thomas' place in the Atari constellation of demi-gods is assured!

Thomas, where do the graphics for the tanks appear in the binary file?  :?

Can you point me to the memory locations where the tanks are stored?

Sure, if you look into the binary above, they are at $0ed1..$0ee6. :D

Ah... so it'll be a few days before we get to see the code with the newly "discovered" balloons? :wink:

Ah... so it'll be a few days before we get to see the code with the newly "discovered" balloons?   :wink:

Sure, Albert already got a preview from me. We are just deciding on which bridge the game should start. What about 1024? ;)

...Moycon? Could you clarify these edible "balloons" graphically for us?

The new River Raid balloons look really tasty, too. :D

Thomas... You are doing unbelievable (literally!) work. ;)

I am currently attempting to comment Space War for a project and I can't change *@$# without breaking the kernel. To me, the fact that you have been able to do this with River Raid (and successfully) is just amazing... especially considering how much Carol's code was already doing!

I really hope you've got a new homebrew on the go!