IGNORED

Mega Man on 2600?

Jess Ragan

This message was posted earlier today by David Galloway (AA user djmips) to the NWCGE mailing list:

Hi everyone, I'd like to announce a little production done by myself and several other NW home-brewers. It's Mega Man 2600.

It's been blogged about and has made it to gametrailers.com which is quite an honour.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip-man/clip-meg...2600-255707.php

http://www.gametrailers.com

Thanks to NWesters Bob and Tommy Montgomery for the music driver and music respectively. Also Fred Quimby, another NW guy for bBasic and other help.

I used bBasic mixed with assembler for the coding of the game with a very tight deadline.

This project, while not a full game, but still very playable, was essentially an art piece commissioned for the i am 8bit show in LA.

http://www.iam8bit.net/

Art at the gallery

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/iam8bit -07/default.php

- David Galloway

Pretty cool stuff. :)

David Galloway also programmed BLiP Football and the Amiga Boing! Demo 2.0 carts.

..Al

I don't buy it.

On the boss battle, you've got:

1) 2 8-bit player sprites for Mega-Man

2) 2 8-bit player sprites for Elec Man

Yet, all this and no flicker. There are only 2 8-bit player sprites in total.

Similarly, when Mega-man gets hit in the first movie, he turns into 2 8-bit white sprites. Those and the mega-man double-sprite co-exist on the first video, which is impossible without flicker.

Maybe the video is just using an emulator that cancels flicker.

But, without flicker, I don't see how it could be done.

-John

It flickers but it was captured in emulation and at 30Hz so it cancels the flicker. On a real TV it flickers more but it isn't too bad. Mega Man and Elec Man are done by combining the two players to give a 16 pixel wide sprite. They are alternated so they flash at 30Hz. They are on a black background and this helps. The main gameplay doesn't flicker Mega Man for the most part.

It flickers but it was captured in emulation and at 30Hz so it cancels the flicker. On a real TV it flickers more but it isn't too bad. Mega Man and Elec Man are done by combining the two players to give a 16 pixel wide sprite. They are alternated so they flash at 30Hz. They are on a black background and this helps. The main gameplay doesn't flicker Mega Man for the most part.

Do you know if it will be released on cartidge in the future?

How's the gameplay done? Up=jump, and button = fire?

Or, some booster-grip support?

You are correct, I don't like jumping with up (and originally had jumping with fire and shooting with down) but playtesters (my kids) demanded the change.

In the future, I would support multiple control schemes for one to choose. I would also support a second button on the Atari, If you check out Manuel Rotschkar's blog entry you can see some valuable research on supporting a second button. I'm pretty sure that there isn't an emulator that supports a second button or is there?

Edited by djmips

I forgot to mention in the NWCGE email, a giant thanks to AtariAge's cd-w aka Chris Walton (author of Hunchy II and upcoming) who graciously allowed me to appropriate his cool super wide main title code from his upcoming Juno First project. I was a very happy that he so quickly approved of the idea because it steals a little of his thunder and proves what great people we have in the 2600 homebrew community. I modified it slightly to allow the band of colors but I kept the drop shadow effect. Thanks Chris!

It was also amazing to me how much effort that the Montgomery brothers put into this project without even a moments hesitation, the got me the awesome music at a moments notice when it was coming down to the wire. BTW - I'm sorry that the music doesn't come through on some of the clips. Some kind of technical problems with the capture and/or clip.

"It's official: Mega Man has now appeared on every single game system."

He has??? I don't remember seeing him on any Neo system, or Oddesy II or even the 5200, and many, many more.

Ha! Mega Man DID appear on the Neo-Geo Pocket, in not one, not two, but a total of four games! Granted, three of those were battle card games, but the fourth was an official port of the two Mega Man arcade titles; the ones that were all bosses and no levels.

JR

VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!

I love and own all the NES Megaman games....and they are some of my fav games for the system. Seeing the Blue Bomber in 2600 format is so uber-cool.....can't wait to see more of this and a possible cart release. I'd be all over that like flies on shit.

I'd say probably fake, since the sprites are over 8 pixels, which means each characture is useing at least 2 sprites, and the 2600 only supports two sprites without flicker.

Of course, if done on an Emu, then you could cancle out the flicker, so :\ Maybe.

Oh, and I'd love a Bin of this game. If nothing else, just to see how well it's really done.

My younger brother wants this as a cart. He is huge megaman fan.

As an atari 7800 owner, I would've loved to see this on the 7800. I can't disagree on the reasoning for doing Megaman 2600 for the Iam8bit show. I do have some doubts on this on the 2600 from the atari 2600 I've played. The youngest 2600 game I own is either Solaris or Rador Lock. I am taking the word of the homebrewers were involved in this though.

Edited by 8th lutz