IGNORED

The XL/XE "Wizardy: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord" Flog...

dwhyte

I also like the green title screen, it looks great. I remember having a collection of 8-bit fonts (on floppy). If you like, I can send you ATR images of these disks. Actually, gimme a moment, and I will upload them here for anyone who is interested.

*** EDIT - Images posted ***

Each disk is an ED (127K DOS 2.5 / MyDOS compatible image). Side a has 64 fonts in .FNT format, side 2 has an additional 35 fonts. I am not sure where these came from - surely I got them from a local BBS. The disk I ripped them from was dated 1-1-89.

Stephen Anderson

99fonts.zip

Edited by Stephen

I also like the green title screen, it looks great. I remember having a collection of 8-bit fonts (on floppy). If you like, I can send you ATR images of these disks. Actually, gimme a moment, and I will upload them here for anyone who is interested.

Each disk is an ED (127K DOS 2.5 / MyDOS compatible image). Side a has 64 fonts in .FNT format, side 2 has an additional 35 fonts. I am not sure where these came from - surely I got them from a local BBS. The disk I ripped them from was dated 1-1-89.

Stephen Anderson

Awesome... lots of fonts to play with... I think I may have to use multiple fonts if memory will allow it... :)

Stephen Anderson

Here's one that isn't in that collection... lol...

{* NOTE TO SELF *}

{* USE THIS IN 5200 PROJECT *}

post-11306-1178301157_thumb.png

Edited by dwhyte

looks familar the faces... hmmm... looks like a ssi game and D&D?

Dragonlance characters... Tanis, Flint, Caramon, Raistlin, Sturm, Goldmoon, Riverwind, Tasslehoff... Represented in 8bit glory... Maybe this'll be a part of my next project when this one's done...

Frakk... gotta start the levels over from scratch... in my wonderful old school method of examining the maps from walkthoughs on the internet, looking at each individual unit, copying them over 1 by 1 making a table of values by hand from the bitfields I made, I just discovered I encoded the doors wrong, in such a way that it will make changes to at minimum 1 byte to a maximum of 3 bytes per unit... Back to the pen & paper again...

Edited by dwhyte

Wow man. I really hope you complete this project. I alwayse wanted an ATARI port of this game.

Incidentally, if you look at the movie "Real Genius" some time, theres a scene where the character, Kent, is playing The Proving Grounds on a 130XE!! Most likely, a hidden apple II was actually generating the display. My guess is that Sir-Tech was probably happy to have the publicity, but for whatever reason, Apple did not want their equipment included in the scene, and the 130xe was an easy "prop" to put in place..

Who knows. But anywayze, I hope hope you finish it. That game was a blast to play, even after beating it 3 or 4 times.

• Like 1

Wow man. I really hope you complete this project. I alwayse wanted an ATARI port of this game.

Incidentally, if you look at the movie "Real Genius" some time, theres a scene where the character, Kent, is playing The Proving Grounds on a 130XE!! Most likely, a hidden apple II was actually generating the display. My guess is that Sir-Tech was probably happy to have the publicity, but for whatever reason, Apple did not want their equipment included in the scene, and the 130xe was an easy "prop" to put in place..

Who knows. But anywayze, I hope hope you finish it. That game was a blast to play, even after beating it 3 or 4 times.

Thanks MEtalGuy66... This will be done! Level encoding is still underway. I need the levels done to work further on the maze engine. The apple version only had a viewpoint of one square ahead... I'd like to further extend the viewpoint maybe to 3 (or 4) squares ahead. I've tried simulating some level squares in the engine... corners at an intersection aren't being displayed right (fixed by the end of the week I hope). I'm also adapting the weapons and armor again to save a bit of disk space... I entered them all in so there's a lot of repeating "sword" for example, etc. I'm going to add another bitfield to the weapons to describe what type they are.

Believe it or not... I may be able to squeeze it all in ONE SS/DD disk this way...

Once done though... I'd like to do a 5200 game, or maybe a joint effort for another A8 game... I'm really impressed with the GFX that Wraithchild ripped to that xegs cartridge...

Edited by dwhyte

Once done though... I'd like to do a 5200 game, or maybe a joint effort for another A8 game... I'm really impressed with the GFX that Wraithchild ripped to that xegs cartridge...

I'd like to see all three of the "classic" Wizardy's done on the XL/XE (IV and V are different beasts really).

Tempest

I'd like to see all three of the "classic" Wizardy's done on the XL/XE (IV and V are different beasts really).

Tempest

I understand the engine is pretty much the same for the first few games, though, I'm just concentrating on the first one for now... :pirate: :)

The apple version only had a viewpoint of one square ahead... I'd like to further extend the viewpoint maybe to 3 (or 4) squares ahead.

Well, actually, there was a SPELL you cast for that.. and it made it where you could see 4 or 5 squares down the hall.

The apple version only had a viewpoint of one square ahead... I'd like to further extend the viewpoint maybe to 3 (or 4) squares ahead.

Well, actually, there was a SPELL you cast for that.. and it made it where you could see 4 or 5 squares down the hall.

Uh... heh heh... back to 2 square viewpoint then... at least I have the vectors worked out for that spell...

So far everything is coming along nicely... haven't run into a wall yet... I'll post again once I have something a little more substantial for everyone...

and MEtalGuy66... you're by far more of an expert on the gameplay of this than I am... can I possibly count on you to beta test for me once the time comes?

Well... I got an email from Trebor today... He's pleased to hear that someone is taking the time to port their game (though they no longer have the rights to it), the message was bcc'd to Werdna, but there's been no response as of yet...

Very encouraging support....

Make sure you leave the feature to "recover" your character in place. This was something sir-tech put in just in case you had a power failure, I assume. My brother and I would make a copy of the player disk, then trade gold to another player, and then swap the disk during gameplay. Using "revover" allowed us to double our gold bit by bit. Eventually we had millions. We had a character named bank1 and bank2 that held all our gold.

With all that gold from the get go, we'd buy the best armor and weapons, and sleep in the best quarters so we'd not age as fast.

On second thought, don't bother, you can always use a hex editor or something to achieve the same result.

Great project, I really hope it makes it to the grande finale ;)

By the way, you seem to have a problem with the level encoding - could you elaborate on the level structure? Perhaps we could help - I personally like playing with various forms of compression :)

Good luck!

eru

codin', codin', codin'... keep them fingers codin'... rawhide...

Seriously though... when I planned on releasing this may be delayed by a quarter or so...

I knew this was something I could do, but the depth of this beast is actually starting to amaze me... this is without a doubt probably the biggest project I've ever done on any platform... In regards to being a complete one man job (with some pointers from others), start to finish that is...

I'm hoping that everyone will like it.

Still haven't heard back from Andrew (Werdna) Greenberg yet, seeing as he's a lawyer and chairman of an intellectual property group, I thought I would have heard from him, but it's understandable seeing as he no longer has the rights to his and Robert (Trebor) Woodhead's I.P.

eru... so it seems you are back to 8bit world? ;) maybe you can help me doing my mapper as well... ;)

Hey Heaven,

I probably don't have time to help with programming (esp. since it's Turbo Basic AFAIK), but I can potentially help a bit with design/problems.

Now I'm busy with something new for a8, you will see in a 2-3 months :)

eru... so it seems you are back to 8bit world? ;) maybe you can help me doing my mapper as well... ;)

Hey Heaven,

I probably don't have time to help with programming (esp. since it's Turbo Basic AFAIK), but I can potentially help a bit with design/problems.

Now I'm busy with something new for a8, you will see in a 2-3 months :)

nope... it's not turbo basic... its pure 6502 code... ;) right know 16k...

• 3 weeks later...