IGNORED

Taito Arcade -> Atari 2600 port IV

Cybergoth

Taito Arcade -> Atari 2600 port IV  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Taito Arcades should be ported to the 2600?

• Strike Bowling
    • The Pit
    • Time Tunnel
    • Wild Western
    • Zoo Keeper
    • Bio Attack
    • Birdie King 2
    • Chack'n'Pop
    • Elevator Action
    • Fighting Roller

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

Yay! Since I got no other suggestion submitted for May, I can provide yet another Taito poll! :)

Already the 4th in this ever popular series (Check III. here for example), this one completes Taitos 1982 machines and starts into 1983, finally not only with several popular choices, but also with several really good ones!

(Ususal Disclaimer: If you think the Elevator Action prototype is good enough already, simply don't vote for it. :))

Greetings,

Manuel

Hey i love Elevator Action too (and pretty much any game from Taito)but ZooKeeper is just a great and fun game too play.Classic! :)

And at what point in your thought process did you take into consideration whether or not the 2600 could actually do Zookeeper in any way that doesn't suck horribly?

Well Zylon we were asked to vote on what game we would want to see on the Atari 2600 and ZooKeeper was one of the choices.

We were not asked to vote on the games that could be done on the 2600 that would not suck.This is sort of a "wish list" of Taito games we would love to have in cart form.

ZooKeeper is a very popular choice with people here judging by the votes in the poll including myself.Its fun to vote on games that we would like to see made that were never done before. :)

ZooKeeper is a very popular choice with people here judging by the votes in the poll including myself.

People here, in general, aren't very bright. Their thoughts tend to run along lines like:

I like game X. I like game system Y. Therefore X on Y wuold B GRATE!!1 I'M SURE UV IT!

or...

Any technical limitation of any game system can be negated by application of sufficient incoherent enthusiasm.

jboy,

Ehh, don't worry man. You always have a good attitude. You voted for a game listed in a poll. Don't worry 'bout the troll. Just ignore him.

Zylon am here to just have fun and to enjoy all things Atari and classic gaming not to start fights or anything of that nature.So if you say am not all that bright i guess your right..... :)

Strike Bowling - unless you can do it with the trackball, I don't see the point.

The Pit - this game isn't very good, and it would be almost impossible on the 2600. Thunderground does this better already anyway.

Time Tunnel - this is kind of intriguing, but it would probably be pretty ugly.

Wild Western - this is a winner, but the controls are a problem. Without the free-roaming cowboy who can shoot in 8 directions I don't think this has much to distinguish it besides the western theme.

Zoo Keeper - popular choice, but would be a giant flickerfest. Great game.

Bio Attack - been there, done that. Re-themed River Raid/SI.

Birdie King 2 - golf.

Chack'n'Pop - flickerfest, though probably doable if it's scaled down. It's only a mildly good game, though.

Elevator Action - great platformer, obviously doable.

Fighting Roller - but this gets my vote - basically Road Rash on roller skates - since I've been pondering a Road Rash 2600 project, I had to vote for this. :D

Edited by vdub_bobby

I agree it would be difficult, if not impossible, to do on the 2600.

You could actually do a really good 2600 The Pit if you broke the single screen up into a grid of six or so connected screens, like Hero does. Most of the screens would be rather Dig-Dug-esque, but then you'd have special screens with their own optimized kernels for the gem collection and pit sections. The tank blasting away at your ship could easily be relegated to a constant element at the top of the screen.

Edited by ZylonBane

For Zookeeper, couldn't the action be limited to caging snakes, which have the benefit of being easy to render in line/block form? Would it be possible to make each segment of them advance one square on an unseen grid as background information, and if so, how much would the small jumps in animation affect gameplay?

If your eyes haven't turned to dust by now, this is my first post here. I lay no claim to being a programmer. In fact, I probably have no idea what I just said.