IGNORED

Atari 2600 McDonald's Revealed!

Albert

/features/McDonalds/index.htmlAfter many years of mystery surrounding the Parker Brothers game McDonald's, we're happy to finally shed some light on the subject. Curt Vendel of the Atari Museum was able to track down an early version of the game, as well as chat with Isabel Garret, the designer at Parker Brothers responsible for the gameplay. In addition to making this early work-in-progress available, Curt also secured copies of documentation and sketches created during the game's development. You can read more, view the images, and download the binary on our McDonald's Revealed! page.

Let's see...spend a thousand bucks on a car...or a cartridge that displays a big, bumpy yellow "M" on the screen...tough choice... :D

Seriously, very nice job with the special page on AA. I'm unbearably happy for everyone who's been wondering about this prototype, and who can now satisfy their curiosity thanks to the miracles of telecommunications.

Me? I'm going to get a Big Mac.

CF

Wow great, must fast test the game. :)

PS: Fast work. I want tell you, that 1 Sketch was linked wrong (the first one was linked on the second). But after I try again it was linked right.

You have think, that nobody will see it. But I am fast and see everything. :D ;)

WOW, I found an Easteregg in this game. Don't know if someone already know it. If you open it with Hexeditor, or maybe some other textprogramms you see this at the end of the game:

@PARKERBROS 83DAVEENGMAN......H.

:) :D :)

It's not so much of an easter egg as it is a mystery (unless Curt knows differently). Much of the rom is actually Tutankham and Dave Engman was the programmer. I'm not sure if Isabel used Tutankham as a quick game to patch her title screen onto or if Dave was just recycling code.

Tempest

PS: Fast work. I want tell you, that 1 Sketch was linked wrong (the first one was linked on the second). But after I try again it was linked right.

You have think, that nobody will see it. But I am fast and see everything.  :D  ;)

Someone else did see it (CrossBow!), or I probably wouldn't have caught it as quickly. :)

WOW, I found an Easteregg in this game. Don't know if someone already know it. If you open it with Hexeditor, or maybe some other textprogramms you see this at the end of the game:

@PARKERBROS 83DAVEENGMAN......H.

:)  :D  :)

Yes, that is pretty cool. If you look even more closely at the binary, you'll see that the last 2K of this McDonalds binary is almost identical to the last 2K in Tutankham!

..Al

I'm going to ignore previous flamewars involving this discovery and just post a few quick opinions:

1. Regardless of how you feel about the limited (non-existant) gameplay, we should all think it's VERY cool to have concrete proof that the coding for this game was begun and burned. 20 years later and protos are STILL surfacing! McDonald's was always one of those "never to be found, rumored to exist" games. Well, so was LOTR and THAT was found. It makes me hopeful that we'll still one day see Pink Panther, Mr. Bill, Incredible Hulk, Turbo, etc. for the 2600.

2. I appreciate all Curt did to release the ROM to the public, in spite of the flames. Had he not, there'd be people bitchin' about that too. Instead, we can now decompile, examine, and discuss the program without any of us having to pony up $1,000+ for the board/EPROM. Thanks Curt.

I wonder if Futurama will show up as a "long-rumored" proto in twenty years. At least that one will DO something when you turn it on. :wink:

P.S. A possibly necessary disclaimer: Opinions are not flames, even if they're different from your opinions.

-- Peaceful Chris

Ugh, Chris - dammit - lighten up. My earlier post wasn't directed towards you at all. And I wouldn't dream of firing things up again. I'm still out of propane from the last go-round. ;)

And as for a rumored "Futurama" game, there is no such thing. Never was made. Nothing to see here folks. Nope, nope, nope. Big ol' denial here. That there is illegal and stuff. Fox told me so and I trust the suits there to know what's what.

Fact: I just got ANOTHER letter the other day from the Fox legal Dept., saying they appreciate my compliance, yet reminding me that they're still watching me. How....quaint.

(20 years, my ass... Chris, I'll have to be DEAD before anything ever surfaced. Geez. Talk about being shadowed...)

Let's see...spend a thousand bucks on a car...or a cartridge that displays a big, bumpy yellow "M" on the screen...tough choice...

Chris,

Y'know... I've been following your posts and I think you're missing the point on what exactly these collectors are getting. Now don't get me wrong because I'm one of the biggest 'gameplayers' out there. (i.e. I collect nothing, I just have the games I liked and played as a kid).

See, it doesn't matter that that particular rom has absolutely no gameplay. And it doesn't matter that the rom is dumped so you can easily check it out and see for yourself that it's really nothing. So then why are these people willing to pay for it?

It's because it's to hold the actual piece of hardware that was used right there at Parker Bros while they were actually working on this thing. So it's a museum piece basically and sort of a nifty little piece of history. So in that sense it's definitely worth something, especially for those who collect hard to find Atari items.

Now would *I* buy this? No, not on your life. :) However I do think it's a collectible item and probably worth what was paid for it.

You mean there's no gameplay whatsoever?  Just the M title screen?   :skull:

Looks so! :sad:

Most of the code is (as said above) from Tutankham. There is some code to display two digit pairs, I think that's only there for debugging.

I only found standard graphics for hexadecimal numbers (probably for the debugging purpose too), plus the letters T, W and V and the word "PLAY".

So, I'm afraid, all we can get from this ROM is the big "M". :(

ne146,

chris was being funny (ref humor/sarcasm). see :D at the end of that line.

this board needs closed captioning for the humor impaired.

*ha ha ha*

and for god's sake, put some clothes on that avatar.

*ha ha ha*

Thank you, Trey. I try to be funny often, and, I'll be the first to admit, don't always succeed. Surely even die-hard collectors can look at things from a healthy distance for a moment, and find SOME humor in paying for useless pieces of plastic, no matter what they represent.

Aside from the joke, my main point was to congratulate Albert (et al) on getting hold of photos of materials that represent a piece of 2600 history, however small, and having the means to make it available so everyone can see "what might have been."

CF

heh of course I know he was basically joking around (I mean come on.. it's me! :D) but quite honestly what I said was meant for an earlier topic (and one I'm sure we all remember) and I just wanted to say my peace. :)

And seeing as it was a little too late to bring up that older one, the popup of this topic just prompted me to do just that ^__^

As far as clothing my avatar, I'm surprised you know what it is. :D Usually those graphics were typically 'critiqued' and laughed about in such a manner as this particular example for Bachelor Party: http://www.thevideogamecritic.com/2600bb.h...#Bachelor_Party

;)

What I'm trying to figure out is what kind of car can you buy for $1,000?  :|  :|  :|

According to edmunds.com, for $953 you can buy from a dealer, a 1990 Lincoln Town Car in rough condition with 250,000 miles. Or, buy from a private party and for only $724 you can get the same car in average condition with only 150,000 miles.

So, I'm afraid, all we can get from this ROM is the big "M".  :(

Hm... the VSYNC sequence is the same as in Nick Bensemas "How to Draw A Playfield" and all the other code might result from cosmetic changes of that same example here and there. Any [stella] subscriber could *program* that in less than 2 minutes.

Greetings,

Manuel