IGNORED

IE6 Crash when Posting

Something has changed in this forum.

How can I upload images now?

My IE 6.0 is still crashing when answering or writing new posts /blogs.

Can you tell me what the error is that you're seeing? A screenshot would be good. When you compose a message, do you see the Attachments box below text entry field? Do you have Javascript enabled?

..Al

Serguei, you're not alone... I can "fast reply" but "adding a reply" or answering a PM results in a crash. Seems the text editor is to blame, something's incompatible. I get the same message and am using IE 6.0 as well.

Al, thanks for your time :)

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

The weekend's almost here and I'm going to see if I can reproduce this problem and hopefully fix it. I will also dig around on the Invision forums to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they (or Invision) did to resolve it. Sorry that you are having problems with the editor. I wish they had left a simple text editor in place as an option..

..Al

I just enabled the ability to choose the default Invision skin for the forum. You can do this by using the drop-down list at the lower-left corner of the page:

Picture_8.png

The default skin is "AtariAge", but you can now choose "IPB 2.2.0 Default". Can anyone who is having problems try this skin to see if Internet Explorer behaves the same way? I need to know if it's unique to the AtariAge skin or if it's a more general problem. If it's restricted to the AtariAge skin, then it's probably something I can fix. If it also happens with the default skin, I'll have to get Invision involved. And if it only happens with the AA skin, at least it's a workaround for posting until I can figure out what the problem is.

Thanks!

..Al

Crashes just the same... The problem is clearly with the HTML viewer library (MSHTML.DLL).

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.om

That's interesting--not much I can probably do about that if it's also crashing with the default skin. Can you do me a favor and go here and see if you can post a message in this test forum?

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showforum=15

This is Invision's forum--you'll need to sign up for an account before you can post. It's running a newer version of the software, but not sure they changed the editor much between the two flavors. I'm curious if you have the problem there as well. I just searched Invision's bug database as well as their forum and don't see any references to IE6 crashing because of the editor. Although I did see other issues related to IE6, nothing that severe.

Thanks,

..Al

I have filed a bug report and also posted a message about this on IPSBeyond (which is their official "user" support site). I searched their forums as well as their bug tracker but did not see this issue at all, which seems rather surprising to me given how easily I was able to reproduce it. I'm not going to be very happy if their answer is, "Well, just upgrade to IE7!" since I know not everyone can do that. Just as an aside, can someone confirm to me that IE7 does not crash in this manner?

So, until Invision or someone else responds with some insight, there's not much I can do about it. I don't expect much action over the weekend, but come Monday I should have some sort of response. If not, I'll open a support ticket.

..Al

Just a quick update: I have had several confirmations from other forum admins who confirmed that the issue happens for them and/or users of their forum when using IE6. As expected, one person already stated, "install ie7 it should fix the problem", but that's obviously not a remedy everyone can use given that IE7 requires XP SP2 or Windows 2003 Server SP1. Again, don't expect to hear anything from Invision about this until after the weekend, but it's good that other people are confirming it so IPS will have to take it seriously.

..Al

So

Which browser works best with the forum?

Well, pretty much any modern browser *SHOULD* work fine. I personally use Firefox 2.0, and sometimes I will use Safari, but in OS X. Firefox in Windows works fine as well. Internet Explorer 7 probably works fine, but I have not tried it personally. Opera should also work well (and I've used it on the Wii, but not to post--others have though).

Or could be possible to restore the older version of forum?

No, that's not really an option. Besides getting new and improved features (*most* of the time), it's important to stay on top of forum software revisions as they often contain fixes for security problems that might allow a hacker to take control of the forum. Plus, a new version is coming along shortly that has a large number of under-the-hood performance enhancements as well as a large slew of bug fixes. This new version is already faster for the most part than the previous version we were running, that is, after I fixed some issues in the first 24 hours of upgrading. The new version coming out should be even better in this regard. There will be nothing new visibly as far as I know.. But to upgrade to that new version (I expect it'll be released within the week), I had to get the forum updated to the current version first.

More people are confirming this IE6 crash on Invision's forum, so I am hoping they take the issue seriously and investigate it. I will be quite irate if they blow it off and either suggest people upgrade to IE7 or that the people having problems have "Spyware" issues. Neither of these are acceptable answers.

..Al

For anyone who is having this crash problem, I need to know what version of Windows you are using, and if you are using XP, if you are running Service Pack 2 (SP2). Invision claims that SP2 fixes this problem. I am going to install it now on my version of XP I have running in Parallels and see if the problem goes away.

..Al

Speaking of crashes, I've been having Firefox 2.0 crash when posting on AA lately. It happens when I start responding to a post with quoted text, and only after I've typed a few words. I think it might have something to do with the the quoted text being pushed down to the next line as I type above it. I thought something might be screwed up on my PC, but it happens on my Mac too. Once it crashes and I restart Firefox it doesn't happen for awhile.

Tempest

Speaking of crashes, I've been having Firefox 2.0 crash when posting on AA lately. It happens when I start responding to a post with quoted text, and only after I've typed a few words. I think it might have something to do with the the quoted text being pushed down to the next line as I type above it. I thought something might be screwed up on my PC, but it happens on my Mac too. Once it crashes and I restart Firefox it doesn't happen for awhile.

That's a new one, I haven't really heard of many issues with Firefox 2.0. Most of the time when I respond I am quoting text and I've never once had Firefox 2.0 crash while using AA, on four different machines (all Macs) that I use routinely. Are you running the latest version of Firefox? I am using 2.0.0.3 at the moment.

..Al

One issue I have with the editor seems to be that sometimes once in a while it looses focus. I'll be typing, then characters stop appearing and I have to click back in the window to continue typing. This is on firefox 2.0.0.3 on XP. Has anyone else had this problem? It is only happened a few times so maybe I am accidentally hitting some key combination to trigger it.

That's a new one, I haven't really heard of many issues with Firefox 2.0. Most of the time when I respond I am quoting text and I've never once had Firefox 2.0 crash while using AA, on four different machines (all Macs) that I use routinely. Are you running the latest version of Firefox? I am using 2.0.0.3 at the moment.

..Al

Yep 2.0.0.3. Like I said, it's not consistent. Sometimes it happens once a day, and other times it can be several days before it happens.

Tempest

..Al

Yep 2.0.0.3. Like I said, it's not consistent. Sometimes it happens once a day, and other times it can be several days before it happens.

Tempest

Are you running XP SP2?

..Al

One issue I have with the editor seems to be that sometimes once in a while it looses focus. I'll be typing, then characters stop appearing and I have to click back in the window to continue typing. This is on firefox 2.0.0.3 on XP. Has anyone else had this problem? It is only happened a few times so maybe I am accidentally hitting some key combination to trigger it.

I've never seen that one, weird. I just looked through the Invision bug database and don't see anything about that. I don't know if there are any keyboard shortcuts in the editor you might be activating.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...
For anyone who is having this crash problem, I need to know what version of Windows you are using.

Sorry, missed the last part... It actually crashes on both Windows 2000 and 98.

I have not tested with Windows 98, but I did install a fresh copy of Windows 2000 two weeks ago and updated it to the latest service pack and all the security/bug fixes with Windows Update. After doing this, IE6 does not crash at all when using this post editor. Are you able to update your Windows 2000 install to see if the issue goes away?

Thanks,

..Al

• 4 weeks later...

I figured this out btw. The first time you bring up the editor, the Attachment area evidently is loading something. If you start typing before it has loaded, then when it finishes it seem to take focus away from the editor forcing you to click back. Solution is just not to start typing right away.