IGNORED

"Gehirn", an Atari 2600 demo

visyli

Very enjoyable. nice opening with the cartoonish transmision tower.

The walking off while the tower drops in the background was very cool.

A nice light change of mood from the last, very dark, presentation.

Great ending with the flashing and then hitting that final note.

"Comments are always welcome..." Good Good...

Wow, yeah, hey... That uh really uh....

SUCKED!

WHY you might ask... Well because uh, I don't know... uh...

IT'S IN FRIGGIN PAL?!?!?!!

All these GREAT demos get released in PAL which means they run slow in emulators, AND the friggin screen rolls... Yeah, hey that's a great piece there... You GENIUSES (and I do mean that part as a compliment) who take WEEKS MAYBE MONTHS TO program these things could take 5 MINUTES and change like 3 lines of code to make it NTSC and then the rest of us could ENJOY THEM!

I have to ask the programmers of this demo and all the other PAL ONLY demos... Why don't you simple make a version of each? What is the big deal?

Several GREAT demos have been released for the 2600, but just in PAL so people across the pond can enjoy them... Keep up the great coding guys...

SUBTLE HINT--- RELEASE AN NTSC VERSION!

All these GREAT demos get released in PAL which means they run slow in emulators, AND the friggin screen rolls...

They are developed for for PAL TVs to be showed at European demoscene meetings. I don't think you have events like BREAKPOINT in the states?

Besides, I didn't try this demo yet, but I can't imagine that it runs slow or rolls in an emulator?!?

Yeah, hey that's a great piece there... You GENIUSES (and I do mean that part as a compliment) who take WEEKS MAYBE MONTHS TO program these things could take 5 MINUTES and change like 3 lines of code to make it NTSC and then the rest of us could ENJOY THEM!

I see you're a great 2600 programmer with lots of experience. Still, I could imagine that some parts of those demos could possibly be optimized to either make full use of the PAL resolution or of the extra cycles available each frame? Wouldn't that take more than 5 minutes to change then?

"Comments are always welcome..." Good Good...

Wow, yeah, hey... That uh really uh....

SUCKED!

WHY you might ask... Well because uh, I don't know... uh...

IT'S IN FRIGGIN PAL?!?!?!!

Why it's in PAL? Maybe because I'm from Finland, and we use PAL here, and I only have a PAL tv and a PAL Atari 2600 jr.

All these GREAT demos get released in PAL which means they run slow in emulators, AND the friggin screen rolls... Yeah, hey that's a great piece there... You GENIUSES (and I do mean that part as a compliment) who take WEEKS MAYBE MONTHS TO program these things could take 5 MINUTES and change like 3 lines of code to make it NTSC and then the rest of us could ENJOY THEM!

Actually, it works 100% correctly in Z26 AND Stella, I couldn't see any slowdown or bugs or anything

I have to ask the programmers of this demo and all the other PAL ONLY demos... Why don't you simple make a version of each? What is the big deal?

Several GREAT demos have been released for the 2600, but just in PAL so people across the pond can enjoy them... Keep up the great coding guys...

SUBTLE HINT--- RELEASE AN NTSC VERSION!

The main reason is that we usually grind EVERYTHING out of the extra rasterlines thus being able to show more stuff on screen. Having more time in the kernal part also enables more code executed there.

And to answer to your criticism, YES, we are planning on converting everything to NTSC, because well, you said it too, we want a greater audience for our productions! I'm not PAL crusader or anything, we have just made due what we have available.

Actually, it works 100% correctly in Z26 AND Stella, I couldn't see any slowdown or bugs or anything

Just an FYI concerning Stella; PAL autodetection was added in the latest release only (2.3.5), so if you're running an older version, PAL ROMs may indeed run slow and/or flicker, unless you specifically tell the emulator that the ROM is in PAL format.

Ahhh cmon guys, I'm just bustin balls over here... It is a really good demo... I just wish that it was in NTSC for us in the states...

Yeah, I was running this in Stella, and yes, it does run slow (even on a 3 ghz p4) and flickers / screen roll...

But in all sincerity, I like dumping alot of those demos to cart and see them on the real hardware...

And no, I'm no programmer or I'd do it myself... LOL !

Like I said before, keep up the good work... Most people seem to not like graphics demos, but I LOVE THEM... I've been loving them since the AMIGA DAYS!

I've converted the previous visyli demo 'The Core' to NTSC. He was kind enough to allow me to convert it. I haven't shown him the result yet and so I can't post it but perhaps when he approves it will be posted.

Edited by djmips

I've converted the previous visyli demo 'The Core' to NTSC. He was kind enough to allow me to convert it. I haven't shown him the result yet and so I can't post it but perhaps when he approves it will be posted.

Cool! How about converting Lasertime and Gehirn too? *hint hint* :)

Ahhh cmon guys, I'm just bustin balls over here... It is a really good demo... I just wish that it was in NTSC for us in the states...

Yeah, I was running this in Stella, and yes, it does run slow (even on a 3 ghz p4) and flickers / screen roll...

Like I said, this is likely a PAL autodetection issue. I strongly doubt that the ROM in question runs slowly at all, especially on a 3GHz machine. Mis-detecting a PAL ROM as NTSC will make it look like it's slow and flickery, but the emulator itself won't be running slowly. Simply indicate to the emulator that you're using a PAL ROM (or better yet, download the latest version of Stella), and this problem will go away.

I have no problem running this ROM on a lowly 800MHz laptop; it only uses 16% CPU for the emulation. And it hardly registers on a 3200+ at work.

great looking demo indeed!

Do you mind if I add a video of it to my website? :)

Not at all! I already made a video of it myself, available here -> http://www.cs.uta.fi/~vp79799/gehirn_by_wAMMA_vidcap.avi

You can use it if you want, just give me a link so I can check your page out :)

Great! Thanks! :)

The link to my site is also in the signature ;) here is the link: Planet-Atari

• 2 weeks later...