IGNORED

ok... what is this?

Found it at a local Goodwill store but I have no freaking idea what it is. :?pensativo.gif:?

I would have passed it if it wasn't for the 7 pin NES controller port on the back. See pictures below. It has 2 female sockets and 1 male plug on the back. The plug and one socket are both large 5 pin DIN connector. The middle one is the 8 bit NES controller port. Inside the device are 2 chips and few components but I can't reverse engineer it because one chip is labeled only as "JM 1"so it may be a property chip. The other chip is a CMOS 4066 quad analog switch and it appears to control connection between the 2 input sockets possibly to select either NES controller port or the 5 pin port..

3 buttons and 3 indicator LED for reset, set, and load. It measures about the same as 2 deck of cards stacked.

What is it? pensativo.gif:?pensativo.gif

post-11037-1179965612_thumb.jpg

post-11037-1179965622_thumb.jpg

post-11037-1179965632_thumb.jpg

post-11037-1179965675_thumb.jpg

Just guessing, but a part of one of those pay for play devices found in hotel rooms?

Highly unlikely. No one with any brains would put an external wired and detachable component on one of those.

I've got no real idea.

Best guess is a state-saving device, but I can't figure out how it'd work with just that. I think it had to be part of something else(a piggyback device like a Game Genie/Action Replay, for example).

Looking up the FCC ID number would be a good place to start. They maintain a searchable database.

Edited by JB

Looking up the FCC ID number would be a good place to start. They maintain a searchable database.

Good Idea!

Looked it up and all I could get was this:

FCC IDENTIFIER: E6QJOY-A

Name of Grantee: Jow Dian Enterprise Co Ltd, The

Equipment Class: Part 15 Class B Computing Device Peripheral

Notes: External Joystick/Keyboard Adapter

It was approved back in 1992.

Found the following request on a driver forum from 1999:

DRIVER NEEDED: Jow Dian Game Star game controller (Win 3.1) FCCID=E6QJOY-A

I think its for a PC and is some sort of keyboard wedge that lets you hook up an NES controller or something with a similar connector? The old PC keyboard connectors were 5-pin din.

Edited by Prodos8

Good Idea!

Looked it up and all I could get was this:

FCC IDENTIFIER: E6QJOY-A

Name of Grantee: Jow Dian Enterprise Co Ltd, The

Equipment Class: Part 15 Class B Computing Device Peripheral

Notes: External Joystick/Keyboard Adapter

It was approved back in 1992.

Found the following request on a driver forum from 1999:

DRIVER NEEDED: Jow Dian Game Star game controller (Win 3.1) FCCID=E6QJOY-A

I think its for a PC and is some sort of keyboard wedge that lets you hook up an NES controller or something with a similar connector? The old PC keyboard connectors were 5-pin din.

That makes a LOT of sense.

In that case...

The 3 buttons on the case are probably for defining keysets.

Hit set, then the NES and keyboard keys to map them(specific order would need a manual).

save to save them(To the hard drive via driver software, I suppose), load to load them from wherever save puts them.

I dug up an old AT to PS/2 keyboard adapter and got it plugged into my PC with a NES controller. The device lights up but beyond it I can't make it do anything. I don't have any old AT keyboard or PS/2 to AT adapter to use the newer keyboard I have so the port remained unused.

I defiantly need a manual for this >_< 15 years old and I'm surprised it's not as well known as most other NES based devices. I had less trouble getting info when I found an odd PC board that goes into the back of the PC and has 2 Saturn controller ports. It was used in conjunction with video card to use Sega controller but video card wasn't included and I didn't think it was worth a trip to eBay for a 10 year old video card.

• 1 month later...

I have one of these. It is an adapter to hook up a Nintendo controller to the PC via an AT keyboard port. It will work with a PS/2 adapter.

The way you use it, if I remember correctly is by pressing SET, then pressing the d-pad or a button on the controller, and then pressing the key on the keyboard you want to copy. But, I don't remember if you need to hit SET after each key mapping, or after all of your key mappings. The LOAD button worked with the DOS software that came with it to load keymaps.... I didn't keep the disk because it wasn't really necessary. Finally, the RESET resets the whole thing.

I bought mine back in '94 at Computer City. It didn't come with a controller. I have seen at other places with one though. I think this website sells the same thing: http://store.ramplus.com/dygaprgacocl.html

Enjoy.