IGNORED

whats wrong with this picture?

post-12703-1180281533_thumb.jpgI never noticed any of this as a kid, but theres a few things that just don't add up in this picture. For those of you who don't know, it's the back of the nes action set box. I've noticed that the deluxe set has similar problems, but I don't have a picture of that right now.

1. The kids are playing Super Mario Bros at the same time

2. The Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cartridge is laying in clear view next to the nes, not in it

3. The power light is not on

4. There appears to be no wires whatsoever to hook the nes up to the tv

I see these things and it drives me nuts because I can't stop wondering how nobody on the set of this photo shoot noticed these obvious errors!

Edited by opeygon

Good spot. However, I imagine that they were completely aware of these things when setting up the photo.

Advertisers and the marketing people would possible have these answers for the things you spotted:

This is to show that the console can be used by two players at the same time. Mario was chosen as it is a popular game character that is immediately identifiable. (I'm not too sure about this second point as I don't know when mario because the Nintendo icon)

2. The Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cartridge is laying in clear view next to the nes, not in it

This is to show people how amazingly small these carttidges actually are.

Doh!!! :roll:

If the wires were plugged in, it would make the picture messier.

But I do agree with you. The images should represent what it really looks like when being used.

Perhaps they're playing a plain ol' Super Mario Brothers cart. One that they had for an older NES that they had to replace for some reason.

I'm glad someone posted this one. It's something I always noticed as a kid. Video games are hard to fake. It doesn't matter if they're in pictures or on television. I'm not really sure why that is, but it's always been the case.

Also, it appears that the kid is jumping right into a hole, yet everyone seems to be really happy about it. Maybe this family finds a lot of enjoyment in killing Mario.

You missed one: The screen isn't blinking different colours. The picture makes it look like the NES worked.

:D

The thing that jumps out at me is, why is one kid forced to look at the side panel of the tv as he plays? Shouldn't both of them get to see the screen for it to be fair? :)

You missed one: The screen isn't blinking different colours. The picture makes it look like the NES worked.

The thing that jumps out at me is, why is one kid forced to look at the side panel of the tv as he plays? Shouldn't both of them get to see the screen for it to be fair? :)

That's nothing; Panda racer posted this Vectrex picture awhile back, and the placement of family members defies explanation. What the fuck are the four people sitting by the screen even doing? The mother and father seem to be totally blown away by something, but it sure isn't on the screen, as they're not even looking at it. Whatever it is though, it is mindblowing.

Good spot. However, I imagine that they were completely aware of these things when setting up the photo.

Advertisers and the marketing people would possible have these answers for the things you spotted:

This is to show that the console can be used by two players at the same time. Mario was chosen as it is a popular game character that is immediately identifiable. (I'm not too sure about this second point as I don't know when mario because the Nintendo icon)

This is to show people how amazingly small these carttidges actually are.

Doh!!! :roll:

If the wires were plugged in, it would make the picture messier.

But I do agree with you. The images should represent what it really looks like when being used.

Wow. Its pretty weird that they would plan out the details like that but I guess thats what they learned in advertising school or something.

This kind of underscores the fact that even though kids would make up the majority of nes players, it was the parents who really needed to be convinced to shell out the couple of hundred bucks on the console. Speaking from my experience as a kid, I don't think I would have gotten any of the ideas that Pengwin listed. But I totally believe that it's true now. I guess when your a kid, you don't get the obvious advertising ploys that are used to get your attention.

So there wasn't really any game on the TV and they faked the screen on to it? Or they faked the actual TV into the picture? If so then that's good fakery for those days. You'd think you'd be able to tell.

And if that's not the case, then why not just hook up the NES in front of the TV instead of having another one behind the scenes hooked up to it?

Edited by Ross PK

That's nothing; Panda racer posted this Vectrex picture awhile back, and the placement of family members defies explanation. What the fuck are the four people sitting by the screen even doing? The mother and father seem to be totally blown away by something, but it sure isn't on the screen, as they're not even looking at it. Whatever it is though, it is mindblowing.

I think that the marketers who set this picture up tried to pull in parents based on what they believed the true motivation for them to purchase the Vectrex would be- To see their children happy.

Or the picture illustrates the true horror that can occur when large doses of cocaine and laughing gas are given to a family...

No, see, that was the super-rare version of the NES that they accidentally used for the photo.

With that version, you only need to touch the NES with the cartridge you want to play to make it play. And you don't even need to hook it up to the TV or plug it in: it draws its energy out of the air and beams its images straight to a nearby TV.

No, really it does. :D

It appears that the father is getting a peek at his wife's breasts while the mother stares (and screams in exstacy) at her son in amazement at how he can play the Vectrex while staring at his father. It looks like the girl is the only one paying attention to the action on the screen. Of course, if I were her, I would be focusing on the screen as well, trying to tune out the whacked-out crap that the rest of the family is participating in. Perhaps the ad is meant to show that weird people bought the Vectrex? :ponder: :)

Edited by atariman

The parents are laughing at the kid. "Ha! Ha! You suck!" It's not like he's related. But he's a good sport - see his retarded brother who thinks he's controlling the game? It was time to let him play. As for why the Nes dosen't have a red light, well, it only lights up when the NES develops a problem; just like the 360.

• 1 month later...

I submited a scan of a very similar photo off my NES box to old-computers.com stupid scans a few years ago.

I think the kid at the side of the TV is blissfully admiring the lovely faux wood grain paneling on the side of the TV set while waiting for his turn. Most marketing pictures that show people playing game systems are painfully retarded.

Edited by Rockin' Kat