IGNORED

Looking for some info on the Alps 800XL keyboard

KrazyKaiju

My 800XL arrived yesterday, so of course the first thing I did when I got home was open the thing up and have a look inside. :) The keyboard on this XL is the Alps built model, which some other threads I've read suggest is the best version made for the XL line. It does have a much nicer feel to it than the mylar type keyboard on my 600XL, though it's not as nice as the Apple Extended keyboard that I learned to type with back in the day. The old Extended keyboard also had Alps key switches and was the finest keyboard I ever owned (may she rest in peace).

My exploratory surgery ended with a quick look around, though I'm going to have to open her up again to fix the system keys over on the right side. The main keyboard works great, but the Start and Option keys are sticky, and the others are misaligned from heavy use. I'm a little hesitant to start mucking around without having a better idea what I'm doing. I'm hoping someone who had successfully repaired one of these could give me some guidance.

Can the system key caps be pulled off safely, or do I need to go in and remove the whole keyboard from the top cover in order to get at them? Also, is there a way to firm these up? None of them spring back flush with the cover anymore. Do they have springs underneath that could be replaced or are there just rubber domes covering the switches? While I'm in there, are there any mods that I could do to improve the function of the keyboard or it's longevity?

Any help is appreciated! :D

My 800XL arrived yesterday, so of course the first thing I did when I got home was open the thing up and have a look inside. :) The keyboard on this XL is the Alps built model, which some other threads I've read suggest is the best version made for the XL line. It does have a much nicer feel to it than the mylar type keyboard on my 600XL, though it's not as nice as the Apple Extended keyboard that I learned to type with back in the day. The old Extended keyboard also had Alps key switches and was the finest keyboard I ever owned (may she rest in peace).

There are already a few threads in the 8-bit forum dealing with this. See http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105170 , if you haven't already done so. Really good info there.

My exploratory surgery ended with a quick look around, though I'm going to have to open her up again to fix the system keys over on the right side. The main keyboard works great, but the Start and Option keys are sticky, and the others are misaligned from heavy use. I'm a little hesitant to start mucking around without having a better idea what I'm doing. I'm hoping someone who had successfully repaired one of these could give me some guidance.

Do you mean they stick because of being to close to and thus scraping against the casing? Loosen the 4 screws that hold the keyboardplate in place in the upper case, and gently shift it until the keys are free in their travel. If the key itself is sticky, you could try contact cleaner.

Can the system key caps be pulled off safely, or do I need to go in and remove the whole keyboard from the top cover in order to get at them? Also, is there a way to firm these up? None of them spring back flush with the cover anymore. Do they have springs underneath that could be replaced or are there just rubber domes covering the switches? While I'm in there, are there any mods that I could do to improve the function of the keyboard or it's longevity?

Yes, just pry them off using 2 precision screwdrivers (one on the upper side and one on the lower side of each key). They should come off quite easily. These are true keys with springs inside. The ALPS keyboards are the most durable for XL. Praise yourself lucky your XL doesn't have a Mylar foil keyboard, these are prone to failure and impossible to fix. Same goes for the XE's single sided foil, but there are ways to get such a keyboard up on its feet again (i.e. by replacing the foil with a PCB).

Again, in the Atari 8-bit forum are already threads you should check out. Take a look at http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104583 and http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104577 Happy reading :cool:

re-atari