IGNORED

Amalgams

salstadt

What do you guys think about taking 2 or 3 existing games and mashing together their graphics and gameplay into a single experience.

Pac Dug

Pit Raid

Yar's Adventure

Stuff like that. Too silly? Seems like it'd be a fun way to break apart these landmark games and boil down what's really core about each into a new experience.

- Adam

yars'steroids.

- eliminate the thrust controls & replace with normal up/down/left/right movement

- change the spaceship to yar, and change the asteroids to qotiles.

- the qotiles create a deadly minefield when they change into the swirls.

- the bonus ship can be the little deadly dash and it chases you.

- the neutral zone constntly changes places and is only about the size of a large yars'teroid.

snow bobble.

- simply fuse two already alike games into one crazy bubble/snow throwing freny, and then add a fire character.

- pressing down + fire changes your character between one of the snow bros, one of the bb dinosaurs, and then the new fire guy.

- players would have to select the correct character (because of his weapon element type) to kill off element-based baddies.

now that would be fun.

Edited by bomberpunk

I think Four-Play and Strat-O-Gems Deluxe could make a nice combo.

Basically, you take Four-Play, but each time you conne... er... line up four, they disappear, and the other pieces shift down appropriately (further making combos, and so on). The winner is the player who can lose all their marbles first.

If you take the things that are most fun from those games to create something original, it would be worth it. If you just throw in poorly done rip-off versions of classic games like they did with the SwordQuest 'games,' AtariAge members will chase you with torches and pitchforks.

Check out How to Create Great Games from Old Games on the following page:

http://www.randomterrain.com/game-design-p...nd-editing.html

Related quote:

http://www.randomterrain.com/game-design-gameplay.html

I personally object to episodic games where you play one screen of Space Invaders and one screen of Breakout and one screen of Galaxian and one screen of this and one of that. To me, that's not a game. It's just taking five bad games, putting them together, and calling them one good game. I'm philosophically against that.

--Eugene Jarvis (Joystick Magazine, September 1982)

I personally object to episodic games where you play one screen of Space Invaders and one screen of Breakout and one screen of Galaxian and one screen of this and one of that. To me, that's not a game. It's just taking five bad games, putting them together, and calling them one good game. I'm philosophically against that.

If his opinion still holds true today, I guess Jarvis must really hate Warioware! :D

Sometimes recycling and combining concepts from previous games does work, sometimes it doesn't. My personal philosophy about game creation is that you need to take full advantage of the hardware you're making your game for, and there's nothing wrong with doing what has been done before, as long as the game is fun enough to attract attention. Nowadays, originality is usually found in the details, not the overall concept of a game, because let's face it, when it comes to games played on a TV screen, everything's been done and redone already.

. . . when it comes to games played on a TV screen, everything's been done and redone already.

I don't know, I haven't seen a cat juggling game yet. And I haven't played a game where you are a flesh-eating virus that must infect and destroy as many humans as possible before a cure is found. :D

Related quote:

http://www.randomterrain.com/game-design-gameplay.html

but I liked Gorf :|

Pinball Pool! - lose your balls to win!

SpyHunter: Nemesis - Race for your life, the Nemesis has a TRUCK!

Trickshot Shooter:(yes, I'm using pool again) A direct hit does no damage! You must master the ricochet...

Pac-Gauntlet! - Yellow wizard needs food badly! You'll long for the days when there were only 4 ghosts.

Asteris Thrust - Tetris clone where you must shoot the asteroid blocks down to size, and tow them into place...

Hip Hop - Frogger/Simon says.

Cut-Out! - Dungeon crawler/Punch Out

Mine Sweeper Mario Bros: Every block is a question mark...

Jousting Flash. It would be a 3D game where you would triple jump and shoot at your enemies to kill them, and there would be jump powerups scattered in random places at certain times through the level. You could also use the fun JF special weapons to kill stuff, and there would be multiple types of enemies.

Or it could just be a first person Joust with the camera switching and weapons from the JF games. Either way sounds fun to me.