IGNORED

Stelladaptor

rxd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've added the Stelladaptor back to the store for those who were waiting for them. I expect to ship them no later than next Friday, August 17th.

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=267

..Al

Hi Albert, I suppose Stelladaptor also works with Atari 8 bit computer emulators and joysticks/paddles used with those 8 bit machines.

Or am I wrong with that assumption.

Thanks,

Ray

Edited by atari8warez

I've added the Stelladaptor back to the store for those who were waiting for them. I expect to ship them no later than next Friday, August 17th.

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=267

..Al

Hi Albert, I suppose Stelladaptor also works with Atari 8 bit computer emulators and joysticks/paddles used with those 8 bit machines.

Or am I wrong with that assumption.

Thanks,

Ray

Joysicks will work fine with 8-bit emulators (I've used it with Atari800MacX, for instance), but I've never tried any paddle-based games to see how those would fare.

..Al

First, I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find an answer.

I am just wondering if you could explain (in mostly non-technical terms) why the keyboard/kids/Star Raiders controllers don't work?

I admitedly know nothing about how these things work. I just wonder can something be done?...is anyone working on compatibilty?

Anyways thanks for the great product. I use mine all the time. :cool:

First, I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find an answer.

I am just wondering if you could explain (in mostly non-technical terms) why the keyboard/kids/Star Raiders controllers don't work?

I admitedly know nothing about how these things work. I just wonder can something be done?...is anyone working on compatibilty?

Anyways thanks for the great product. I use mine all the time. :cool:

It was basically a design decision up front. We had two choices:

1) Make the Stelladaptor "plug and play" in that you did not have to install any drivers or use a configuration utility to select the type of device plugged into it.

2) Write drivers and a configuration utility for each operating system we'd like to support. Before the Stelladaptor would work, you'd need to make sure the drivers and utility were installed, and then manually pick the type of controller you have plugged in.

There are pros and cons for each approach. For the first option, we were able to have the Stelladaptor intelligently determine if a 2600 joystick, paddle controller or driving controller was plugged in. Anything beyond that was getting too complex to try and make an accurate determination of what might be plugged in (such as two button controllers, keypad controllers, etc.) This allowed us to support the most common 2600 controllers and obviated the need for us to write drivers and additional software.

If we had to write software for each host operating system, development would have taken much longer and the cost for the device also would have been higher. It's also unlikely that we'd write Linux drivers, and even writing Mac and Windows drivers and software would have been a pain in the neck. In the end, such a device would have been more flexible, but our design goal was to have a relatively simple and easy to use adapter.

..Al

@Albert

Thanks alot for that explanation :) You really cleared that up.

One quick question, If someone were to take the time to create a configuration utility, could the Stelladaptor (as it is now) be used for other devices? Or is it created in a way that it would never work with alternate devices?

I kinda understand why you might want to use the Touchpad, but to be fair, you do already have a keyboard connected to your computer! :)

I just have a thing for using original controllers in my emulation. Also I would love to hook up an atari trackball (among other things).

@Albert

Thanks alot for that explanation :) You really cleared that up.

One quick question, If someone were to take the time to create a configuration utility, could the Stelladaptor (as it is now) be used for other devices? Or is it created in a way that it would never work with alternate devices?

No, the Stelladaptor only communicates to the computer that it's a USB Human Interface Device (HID) and is not listening for communication with any type of configuration utility. We'd need to create an entirely new device if we wanted to go that route.

..Al