IGNORED

SIO2USB

Philsan

sio2usb_prototype.jpg

The SIO2USB Interface is a peripheral device that can be attached to an ATARI 8-bit computer using the SIO-Bus.

It emulates one or more ATARI floppy drive(s) and does not require any special drivers or operating-systems; it is fully compatible with all ATARI DOS systems and extensions.

Because the device is connected to the SIO-Bus, it is not necessary to open or modify the ATARI.

The device is powered by the SIO-Bus and does not need an external power adapter.

The data are stored on standard USB mass storage devices (USB FLASH Drives) as ATARI-Imagefiles (ATR or XFD) on a standard FAT file system.

By using the internal Real-Time Clock, each modification (write access from the ATARI) on the Imagefile will update the current date and time information on the Imagefile. This permits one to fine the most recently changed Imagesfile under the same name in the file system.

Dates and times are also available for the ATARI and can be used by proprietary programs or by ATARI DOS systems that support date and time (e.g. Sparta DOS etc).

Creation, selection and deletion of Imagefiles can be done either by using the built-in keys on the device and the LC-Display or by using a configuration program (included in the distribution package) from the ATARI.

It is NOT necessary to own or run a PC or Mac to operate the SIO2USB Interface. All necessary operations can be done either at the device itself or from the ATARI.

As an alternative, a PC or Mac can be used to exchange Imagefiles from/to the USB FLASH Drive or to create backup copies.

The internal SIO2USB Software (Firmware) can be updated by the user from within the ATARI without a PC or Mac.

We will publish Imagefiles for Firmware updates on the SIO2USB Website which can be downloaded and copied to the USB FLASH Drive or sent on an ATARI 5 1/4" disk.

The Firmware update is done from within the ATARI WITHOUT any special programming device or additional personal computer.

The SIO2USB-Interface allows you to operate an ATARI computer with virtual floppy drive(s) without using a REAL floppy drive or any PC with SIO2PC software and interface. Therefore it is a light-weight alternative for real floppy drives or SIO2PC + PC/MAC combination.

In addition, other SIO devices (real floppies, SIO2PC, tape-drive or printer) can be used with SIO2USB together at the same time on the SIO-Bus.

I've preordered this interesting device in this site: http://home.arcor.de/grasel/sio2usb_e.htm

Edited by Philsan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

It is definately one of the coolest and most versatile interfaces ever created for Atari 8bit.

Only problem that I still have with these is that on higher sectors (I use 16MB ATR's) the interface is getting slow (too slow!)

I have discussed this issue with the development team, and they are working on it.

Except for that: sio2usb is one of the best.

I love the built-in RTC very much and all the extra features. It is also very handy that the device can create .atr images by itself. I guess the newest firmware of Sio2SD can do that too... it is superb.

Greetz

M>

It is definately one of the coolest and most versatile interfaces ever created for Atari 8bit.

Only problem that I still have with these is that on higher sectors (I use 16MB ATR's) the interface is getting slow (too slow!)

I have discussed this issue with the development team, and they are working on it.

Except for that: sio2usb is one of the best.

I love the built-in RTC very much and all the extra features. It is also very handy that the device can create .atr images by itself. I guess the newest firmware of Sio2SD can do that too... it is superb.

Greetz

M>

Yes, creating new ATRs is a great feature. One I sorely miss when using my SDrive.