IGNORED

FS: Mini Atari 2600 Joystick IT REALLY WORKS!

SalemFrost7800

I had bought an Atari 2600 Plug and Play Keychain and got to wondering could it be converted into a working Joystick for my portable Atari 2600???? So I asked Longhorn Engineer if it could be done, so here is the working prototype:

I also tested it on my Atari 7800 and it works perfectly.....Thank you Longhorn Engineer Great Job!!!

Edited by SalemFrost7800

I wish I had more details but I was simply the brain child behind this, Longhorn Engineer was the one who took it from paper to production.

Anyone who owns one of these keychains knows it's pretty durable and the game play is great. I played several games of Donkey Kong on my 7800 with no problems same with Dodge 'em on my portable 2600. The bad thing about the portable is it's only got a 2nd player port so I had to play a 2 player games to get use out of the mini Joystick, The FLASKBACK 2 Portable has both ports so this mini joystick will be very cool to use with that. Longhorn Engineer is also workinging on the Paddle keychain for me (as soon as I send it to him).

Edited by usinoh

I have the keychain and love it.

It is very durable, and small enough to keep in my pockets.

When I do plug it in (rarely) it always works like a charm (pun slightly intended).

(and I love the odd looks it gets from people)

That's a fantastic mod. Nice ! ! !

Yeah, I saw those stick sup at Walmart (and paddles too ! ) unfotunately, they're $15 each. And I can't bring myself to pay that for them. Especially after the rather nasty reviews these things got in the "dedicated Hardware" section right here on Atari age. (if I remember, I'll look for it and post a link later.

Oh, and for those that think the thing will cause cramping...what isn't shown in those photos, is that htere is a second button along the top edge of the controller (I think where the cord comes out in thos photos) If the face button might cause you trouble, you might could wire it differently and use the top button (rotat the stick so it's on the side) Paddle controller style.

Here's that link I was talking about

Edited by Video

I had to remove the front button to make room for the cord. It happens to be the exact size needed for a Standard Atari 2600 cord to fit through. Before I shipped it out I made sure of its robustness by playing several rounds of Decathlon on it. Usinoh, the problem with the paddle is that it has to be plugged into the first player port which the portable you are holding does not have :/. Does the Flashback 2 Portable have both 1/2 player ports? If so I think I can squeeze a paddle controller inside the bottom of the Joystick. If I can find a potentiometer small enough that is.

Thanks for the comments btw.

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

Yeah, I saw those stick sup at Walmart (and paddles too ! ) unfotunately, they're $15 each. And I can't bring myself to pay that for them. Especially after the rather nasty reviews these things got in the "dedicated Hardware" section right here on Atari age. (if I remember, I'll look for it and post a link later.

Oh, and for those that think the thing will cause cramping...what isn't shown in those photos, is that htere is a second button along the top edge of the controller (I think where the cord comes out in thos photos) If the face button might cause you trouble, you might could wire it differently and use the top button (rotat the stick so it's on the side) Paddle controller style.

Here's that link I was talking about

Does Walmart still have them? Do you remember where they stocked them? In this case, I don't really care about how it plays, but they might look mighty nice ON the Christmas tree as ornaments! :)

Very cool indeed!

I bought both the paddle and joystick at Wal*Mart last week so they are still available. Unfortunately, my joystick doesn't work very well and is hard to control. The paddle however is very well built and is the better of the two IMHO.

My joystick will sadly only remain a keychain. :(