IGNORED

Damnit Dungeons

Legend

I'm not a programmer but I do make card and board games. I made a game called Damnit Dungeons that I think would be great as 2600 game. The board game version plays similar to battle ship, but I made a solo expansion for it that is more like a random dungeon romp like rogue. I'm thinking the single player version would be best for a 2600 version.

Here are some points of the game.

The object of the game is to go through a random maze, find the treasure, then find the exit and get out alive.

In order to find the exit, the player must find the treasure first.

There are goblins, bats, a dragon, a thief, and pits in the maze.

The player starts with nothing. In order to fight the goblins, the player needs to find a sword first.

In order to fight the dragon which is tougher, the player needs to find a sword AND a shield first.

The bats pick up the player and places them in a random room of the dungeon. (ala hunt the wumpus)

The player must find the rope in order to get past the pit traps. (again, ala hunt the wumpus)

If the player encounters the thief, he will steal your items.

When a player encounters a goblin, pit, or dragon, and does not have the required item, the player takes damage and must return to the starting room.

The dungeon is a 6x6 grid that wraps around. If the player goes all the way to the right, they re appear on the left side.

There is also a scoring system. The idea is to get the lowest score possible. Like golf. The player gets bonus points subtracted from the final score for doing certain things like not using the healing potion, or killing the dragon, or killing all of the goblins.

Here is a link to download the original board game. It also has the solo rules. It is a print and play game. All you need is to print out two sheets and the rules to play. There are other things like combat explained in the rules. There are two types of combat. The original and and alternate combat. I'm not sure which one would work better for a 2600 game. Please check it out and let me know what you think of the game and if you think it could make a cool atari 2600 game. Please let me know if anyone might be interested in programming it. Thanks.

Here is the link:

http://www.bgdf.com/tiki/tiki-download_use....php?fileId=406

-Legend

Title sounds like somebody who hates slogging through "dungeon crawl" type games.

I actually named the game Damnit Dungeons because I spent a long time trying to come up with a good name for it that didn't sound too cliche for the usual dungeon crawl type of game. After much failure, I decided to call the game Damnit Dungeons because of my frustration with trying to come up with a good name for it. Under my game notes and to do list, I wrote " Give it a name DAMNIT!!!".

I originally called it that only as a place holder until I though of a better name. After a while it kinda grew on me so I stuck with it. I kinda like the light hearted and slightly comical feel it has. The game isn't a serious dungeon crawl game bogged down in stats and tons of cards and characters and such. It's a rather simple game that has a lite dungeon crawl theme to it. Has anyone downloaded the game and looked at it yet?

-Legend

Can anyone help point me in the right direction with this? I figure I'll try using Batari Basic to program the game. I actually tried making a qbasic version of the game a long time ago, but can't find the disk that it was on and can barely remember how I made the random dungeons. It's been years since I tried programing and didn't get very far.

I need to figure out how to populate a random 6x6 grid.

I want to add random walls between rooms, not take up a whole room.

Make a turn based combat system.

Check to see if an enemy, hazard, or item is in the room.

Make the bats place the player in a random room when encountered.

Check to see what items the player has.

How to keep track of life.

Scoring system.

Player control.

Combat system. Combat will some variation of one of the three different types of combat in the board game. (See the download link on the first post.)

I may change the name of the game.

If anyone would like to help with graphics, it would be appreciated.

I need a little advice and a point in the right direction to get started. I'd still like to try and make this game whether there is much interest in it or not from the community. Thanks to anyone who helps. Please check the link on the first post for the full version of the board game that I made that I'm basing this 2600 game on. Thanks again.

-Legend

Edited by Legend