IGNORED

Advan Basic.

javiero

Need to know if someone have a working copy of Advan Basic and copies of the manual, i've never seen this product on ebay. Thank you very much. Muchisimas gracias a todos.

Hi-

Don't buy it yet -- check this link. The copy protection was removed, and the entire docs are available.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.at...254919f498ed0e5

If by some chance the link doesn't work, check Google Groups Advanced Search and search on Advan Basic in csa8.

-Larry

Great language! Does anybody know how it compares in speed to other BASICs like Turbo BASIC, BASIC XL, BASIC XE, JLS BASIC... and BASIC compilers? Does it have runtime library?

A short review of the language was published in Antic in 1986. Check here: http://www.atarimagazines.com/v4n12/Compiler.html

Many questions are also answered in the first few pages of the very useful manual, "Getting Started."

FWIW/IMO -- I bought the initial Basic package years ago, even before Antic started distributing it. It is clearly a well-designed system, but it is very different from most other Atari BASICs. When originally released, it was copy-protected. With the recent release as "freeware," the copy protection has been removed. Since it is disk-based, it is not as convenient to use as a cartridge. It is not possible to go back and forth to DOS without reloading the system. In that regard it is much like Turbo Basic, but since it is a self-booting system, you can't load it from a hard drive unless you have made a disk image partition on your drive. There are some utilities on the system disk to help (as with Turbo.)

It is in fact a Basic compiler, but has a well-integrated editor. Note: the manual says programs are *not* entered using an editor, but if it looks like a rose... But you don't even have to switch back and forth as is required in Action!. After entering your program (many syntax errors are displayed), simply type RUN. Advan is quite fast compared to Atari Basic or for that matter any interpreted Atari Basic. Using the optimizing compiler (released later) it is faster still.

But the downside to me is that one has a fairly steep learning curve, because it is quite different from Atari Basic. That was/is a detriment to any non-standard Basic for the Atari.

I hope that someone will comment on "JLS Basic." I looked at it briefly, but as I recall, it will only run from Dos 2.0s (?) and it looks like a BASIC assembler, much like BASM. (?)

-Larry

Hi,

Yes, released some time ago. I was lucky enough to get in contact with William Graziano, Jr, who got in touch with his father. He sent me the disks, that had the source code for Advan, and I printed them out for him to see if he could remove the copy protection. After a few dozen emails, he was able to disable it.

There was also a partial version to be ported to the Atari ST. I'm not sure on the details why it wasn't finished

I would guess speed wise it's 3 or 4th behind 6502 assembly and Action! and others. There are limitations as number of drives (I think the maximum is D1: through D4:) and possibly doesn't support enhanced density drives beyond the 1050. I'm hoping I am wrong. :)

Otherwise it is a very powerful basic. Much more than Atari BASIC. Please check it out. advan.oldos.net. Extra thanks to James for the webspace!!!

The entire suite is there. BASIC, Compiler, Screen Design, and Utils. With all docs...

Fuji-Man

Great language! Does anybody know how it compares in speed to other BASICs like Turbo BASIC, BASIC XL, BASIC XE, JLS BASIC... and BASIC compilers? Does it have runtime library?

You may want to read this Gury -> Advan Basic :)

O Jesus :) I forgot to check my own links. Thanks to all for additional information anyway. I think it would be good to construct and develop cross-platform language like CC65 for 6502 and assemblers which already exist. I mean something like derivation of Action!, PL/65 and similar, with additional commands, missing syntax features, removal of RAM restrictions, indicated on native platform.

Advan BASIC is very interesting specie. If it also enabled me to write the program with no actual entering of line numbers, then maybe I would choose it. Some new advanced BASICs in modern world can do that, one of them is Info-BASIC, which is the current language on jBASE platform. I work with this in real daily work on the project I am in currently, actually :)

Edited by Gury

• 10 years later...

Sorry for reviving this thread. I have tried Advan Basic, but....

I have hard time using the FORMATEX program from the utility disk.

1. When I run it from the utility disk, FORMATEX crashes (ATARI 130XE, PAL, 128 KB RAM). I've tried different configurations in Altirra, but no luck.
  2. When I run it from Advan BASIC by entering the EXEC D1:FORMATEX.COD command, I get the following message: INSERT PROG.DISK&ENTER NAME, instead of asking me to insert disk to be formatted to drive 1 as the documentation states. When I enter a valid program name (e.g. POKUS.COD), I get the "END OF FILE" message and the Ready prompt. Nothing is formatted.

Has anyone encountered this. Is there any circumvention?

I know and use TBXL, but it has two flaws: 1. No integers, 2. Buggy compiler. So I am looking for some alternative. Advan Basic seem quite capable (at least on paper).

But distribution of my programs concerns me, that's why I am looking for solution of the problem with the FORMATEX.COD utility.

I am aware of this one. But this one is more far away from Atari BASIC than Advan Basic.

I am grateful for the suggestions, but I am still looking for solution of the original problem. My hope is there is someone from AB user base left who could help :-).

Hi Baktra!

I am aware of this one. But this one is more far away from Atari BASIC than Advan Basic.

I am grateful for the suggestions, but I am still looking for solution of the original problem. My hope is there is someone from AB user base left who could help :-).

Advan Basic is a really good basic package with many enhancements to other Basics for the Atari, but I think that FastBasic is more similar to TurboBasicXL than Advan Basic, as the later has many differences like:

- OPEN takes a string with the open mode ("I" for input, "O" for output, "R" for random-access), and the file-spec does not needs the "D:" at start,

- all I/O operations don't use the # sign in front of the I/O channel number,

- PUT / GET operates on words instead of on bytes, GETKEY is used instead of GET without I/O channel,

- WAIT instead of PAUSE,

- PEEKW / POKEW instead of DPEEK / DPOKE,

- ATAN() instead of ATN(),

- FILL/DFILL instead of FILLTO/PAINT

I used some of the ideas from Advan Basic when writing FastBasic, both are very fast, compile the program to bytecode before running and support string up to 255 bytes of length, but I didn't like that Advan Basic uses it's own DOS and the compiled program can't be used without the full runtime disk.

Also, one of the goals of FastBasic is to be a *small* Basic, current version leaves more than 30k free for your programs inside the IDE and a lot more once compiled. And currently, FastBasic is a little faster, at 17 seconds for the SIEVE test (17.5 on Advan Basic), but of course you can run the optimizing compiler in Advan Basic and produce much faster programs.

Edited by dmsc
  • Like 1

Hi!

Sorry for reviving this thread. I have tried Advan Basic, but....

I have hard time using the FORMATEX program from the utility disk.

• When I run it from the utility disk, FORMATEX crashes (ATARI 130XE, PAL, 128 KB RAM). I've tried different configurations in Altirra, but no luck.
  • When I run it from Advan BASIC by entering the EXEC D1:FORMATEX.COD command, I get the following message: INSERT PROG.DISK&ENTER NAME, instead of asking me to insert disk to be formatted to drive 1 as the documentation states. When I enter a valid program name (e.g. POKUS.COD), I get the "END OF FILE" message and the Ready prompt. Nothing is formatted.
Has anyone encountered this. Is there any circumvention?

And replying to your original question, I also could not get the FORMATEX program to run, but you can simply use the attached RUNTIME blank disk image and copy it over. You then simply copy .COD files inside and boot the disk.

advanBasic-runtime.zip