IGNORED

Bee Ball - 2600

LS_Dracon

Bee ball is my first original game for 2600.

This game is a mix of volleyball and tennis, you are one bee, and need throw the "honey ball" to opponent side, using the raquet. If ball touch the floor, you score 1 point. After X poits you are a winner.

This game originally was made by one friend, I think he made in macromedia flash, or one pc game engine.

I like this game desing, simple and fit perfectly the vcs hardware.

My friend give me the authorization and there's the first proto version.

At this time, the game aren't good, there a lot of thing to do.

How to play :

You need hit the ball, and your speed add to ball speed.

For now only the vertical speed is working. You need avoid to throw the ball to out of range, and take care for not give a small velocity, is hard to catch again and the ball fall to your side.

What's up in this demo :

Both players, missiles and ball, all can be moved.

Collisions

Horizontal limit range for players

What's lack

To much things, like a better ball movement code, score stuff, better gameplay

Playfield graphic (at top), limit players vertical position, button function, players animation

bug fixes and many others.

This game is in very early stage.

Suggestions are welcome.

Edit : Search for the last beta in this topic

post-10940-1183248353_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon

Hehehe tnx....

The gameplay need a lot of work, I will reduce by half the speed, becouse you need accurate position to throw the ball.

And about the ball, I will use a trick, to get a better (and circle) looking.

The ball bouncing now for test collisions and others, the point will be scored when the ball hit the floor.

But I don't have much time, so this game will be a long journey :(

Edited by LS_Dracon

Nice Concept! This could become a fun game, especially if you can implement a 1 player mode.

But I don't have much time, so this game will be a long journey

I wouldn't worry about that, as a homebrew-programmer you have all the time of the world to finish your game :)

I wouldn't worry about that, as a homebrew-programmer you have all the time of the world to finish your game

Thanks Impaler, I don't need finish this game like a crazy, before the x-mas time. :)

Cool, looks good. A sideview net game could be a lot of fun.

Thanks Djmips. 2600 Need more sports titles.

I found at Stella Mailing List a good code for fractional movement, written by Andrew Davie.

This code help me a lot, becouse is too easy for change speed and gravity. (Not to mention a perfect conversion betwen NTSC to PAL)

Comming soon a new (and playable) beta. :)

Here's a new version.

I working on new movement code, and you can see a better gameplay.

What's new :

- Fractional movement for all objects, including ball.

- Now the ball collision work fine

- Net collision too

- Alternative net collision code. If ball get down and hit the top of net, the ball will bouncing. (this code took me one hour :sad: )

- Fixed p1 (right player) missile position.

- Fixed p0 (left) graphic bug, when you close at left edge.

- Limited all movement range, including ball

- Add animation for players (foward and backward)

And others.

So now I need beta testers help. It's time to find the best gameplay as possible.

What you think? The players are too fast or too slow? And the ball? And after hit the ball?

Edited by LS_Dracon

You're going to have to do something to make it easier to get horizontal movement on the ball. I have a really hard time getting the ball over the net.

Also, I was thinking a badminton would be a good game for the VCS. You may want to try changing the physics of the game more towards badminton where the ball hangs in the air a little bit more and is affected by wind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton

Tnx for reply mos6507.

I added more horizontal speed for ball in both players, "50%" more for p1 and "70%" to p2. Now is more easy but, is easy to throw the ball out of rage too.

From both players, what's the better speed?

About badminton, I have plans to add button function for bees, like blocking and atack (stroke)

The blocking are same effect as net, the ball have horizontal direction changed.

For stroke the ball will get down foward too fast...

And the wind factor, I don't know... I'll think on that :)

Here's new beta :

- Changed horizontal speed for ball, after you hit it. (I need reconfigure some others values yet)

Edited by LS_Dracon

A very charming and original game concept - like it! :)

Hmm, I think the gameplay would gain a lot if you could control the bee's lance by pushing the button: holding the button would lower it, releasing it would let the lance flip back -> depending on the angle at which the ball would be hit, it would gain a new direction/ speed. That way players could influence the horizontal motion of the ball, introducing challenge and excitement to the game :)

I like the added background, but maybe you could rework the colors as the background and bees tend to blend quite much right now..

Again - a very promising two player game in the vein of Frog Pond :)

I keep wanting to use the fire button to swing the paddle.

I'm working on it ;)

A very charming and original game concept - like it!

Tnx R-Type

Hmm, I think the gameplay would gain a lot if you could control the bee's lance by pushing the button: holding the button would lower it, releasing it would let the lance flip back -> depending on the angle at which the ball would be hit, it would gain a new direction/ speed.

I like your suggestion, but I will use the fire button for atack and blocking... sorry, more movements is impossible with only one button :( Soo I will keep the speeds according player movement, but if you think that are too fast or slow any speed, I can easy fix it.

I like the added background, but maybe you could rework the colors as the background and bees tend to blend quite much right now..

True... but I try to use the most dark color in background as possible... See the bright green are in top, far from players.

Again - a very promising two player game in the vein of Frog Pond
Tnx... A good AI for player 2 is a chalenge... Edited by LS_Dracon

Hi

New version released, finally added fire button function: Stroke and Block.

Block : Are enabled when the ball is in opponent side. Hold button for it. Of course, if ball come to your side and you keep holding the button, the bee still blocking. You can move while blocking.

The ball just has changed horizontal direction, if goes to up-right, change to up-left etc...

Stroke move : When the ball is in your side, hit the fire button. You can't move.

Hold the button and bee wait the release. If you hit the ball too close, the ball's horizontal speed is high, if you hit far, the horizontal speed is low, but the ball even fall.

I don't test well, so probabily this version aren't bug free.

Changes :

- Added Stroke and Blocking

- Added animation for bee judge (it seek the ball)

- Minor graphics changes

(Is very hard to you test alone, I will start to work on AI code...)

Edited by LS_Dracon

New version - 3.6

Fixed bug in net collision - Still happen if you do a stroke 4 or 5 times in a row, but this will be impossible when the game rules work.

Added ball trick! Yes, now we have a circle ball. Flickering two retangles, and repositioning them, I have a good looking ball using 1 bit object. If ball had horizontal speed too fast, the old square looking ball appear, avoiding collision problems

Running on Stella emulator, press Alt+P to enable phosphor mode, this display how the game looks running on a tv.

- Fixed net collision bug

- Added ball graphic trick

Edited by LS_Dracon

Another option would be to change the size of the ball on the fly, and do an HMOVE on it. No need to flicker then. It's kinda, sorta what I do to draw the dragon in Medieval Mayhem, in that I shift the sprites left/right as they're being drawn.

True...

But I have a problems for use this.

The HMOVE line in left, in every lines turn a ugly black collumn. Using a "illegal" hmove, after some machine circles not display this line, but this mess repositioning code :(

And my kernal don't have more space for this too, becouse I need 3 new parameters, HMOVE, HMBL and CTRPF for change the ball size.

BTW tnx for advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not work much on BeeBall, in this week.

I made a functional score, and partial game rules.

If ball fall in opponent side, you score 1 point.

If opponent throw the ball out of range, you score 1 point.

If opponent throw the ball, and you can't handle it, and the ball fall or get out after you hit, the opponent score a point. Ya rly.

There some bugs, for exemple, direction of ball throwed by judge, and time for it, don't care I'll fix it soon.

The ball still bouncing on right side, is better for me test some codes. In left side we see how the game will work.

What's new in this beta (version 3.9)

- Added Score numbers

- Added a function for bee judge - He throw new balls.

- Partial game rules. The score roll up after 10 points.

- Changed bee's animation speed. The wings looks good for me now.

BeeBallProtoV3.9.bin

post-10940-1185727529_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Chris.

Guys the progress are stopped. I'm stuck on AI code :(

Too hard, and I have a big problem now, the 4k of space was gone...

The last demo had about 700 free bytes for AI code, aren't enough. I need about 1.2 kb to code a good AI.

I'm start to programming entire game from scratch, optimizing maximun as I can the codes to get more precious bytes, but this took much time... :(

The progress of the new code are about 50% of the last beta.

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi people.

New version released, BeeBall 4.0: Player vs CPU

Finally a working AI.

Not much challenging, the opponent just have basic movements.

I will keep working on AI before start sound fx.

You see new background graphics, and some things was changed/removed.

Artificial Inteligence are priority now.

Enjoy.

Edited by LS_Dracon