IGNORED

looking for a coder for a new atari 8bit game

Kjmann

myself and a couple of others are getting together to do an 8-bit version of Sega's OutRun. we're looking for a coder for the project. I myself have already done the sound track and I am currently working on the sound FX. Espire8 is willing to do graphic work. be prepared though. we will be using some new hardware that is coming soon for the 8bit and will be launching the game with the hardware possibly as a pack-in or a simultaneous release. If you are interested please send me an email and we can chat on the phone about it.

Thanks. =)

Edited by kjmann

Wouldn't be the Videoboard XE by chance?

Problem is, you would need one to be able to code for it.

Then there's the learning curve - but I assume it would be fairly straightforward to work on.

Sorry guys it's not an upgrade that anyone knows about. It has been kept under lock and key for a while. we have the finished prototypes for testing right know and thats all I can Say. it's an upgrade that will blow all other upgrades out of the water. I'm only one of 6 people that know about it. the other 5 are the hardware engineers, coders and the man financing the project.

this upgrade will set a new standard for games for the 8-bit and it's so easy to apply a 4th grader could do it. it will even work on the tank (original 800).

the coder will need only to know how to program for the 8-bit in general. preferably in ASM.

Well, all I can say: this really comes as a surprise.

...but are you really sure to make a game that's depending on a hardware upgrade?

...and is this upgrade still 8bits?

I appreciate everyones enthusiasm and curiosity, but as i said before I can't say anymore. I will give more information when I'm told That I can. IN the meantime I still need to find a coder for this project. =)

Thanks everyone. =)

Edited by kjmann

Well I can help with snippets of code but there's stuff I have on the backburner that I've been meaning to get onto.

However, some of the work I want to do is sprite-engine related so might be helpful anyway.

That would be excellent rybags. any help would be appreciated. anyone involved will get an even share of the royalties from the sales.

Well I can help with snippets of code but there's stuff I have on the backburner that I've been meaning to get onto.

However, some of the work I want to do is sprite-engine related so might be helpful anyway.

That would be excellent rybags. any help would be appreciated. anyone involved will get an even share of the royalties from the sales.

I could help with some graphics, too, if coder is not the only thing you need. I know espire8 will do the gfx, but perhaps I could assist. I'm quite successfull at converting existing graphics to atari acceptable form ;-)

I'll email peteofborg and see if he answers me. pseudo, I think you would be awesome on this project. I check with espire8 and see if he's ok with it. i will be willing to take on as many as 2 graphics people and three coders maximum. would prefer to have no more that 2 coders but if three is what is needed then that.s what we will do. I don't want this game to be half assed. if this game comes together well then outrun will be only the 1st in a line of games we will do.

thanks for the sugestion BRK. and thank you for offering to be in on this pseudo. =)

Well, I spoke to peteofborg and he is convinced that the Atari can't do any better than pole position for a driving game and that OutRun is to elaborate to do on the 8-bit. he said that pole position pushes the Atari to it's brink.

I find this hard to believe considering the work Chris Hutt is doing on space harrier.

But at any rate. Still looking for a main coder.

In this forum we have a discussion about a new race game on Atari computers.

Race game for atari

There are interesting ideas, but the main problem is to find a programmer. It's for sure Atari can do a better race game that Pole Position, American Great Cross Country Road Race or California run, and Atari hardware helps a lot, but nobody take the properly interest.

well, thats what the idea here is allas. A good clean version of outrun for the 8-bit. =) just a couple of good coders would be great.

as I said before I have already completed the sound track and With Espire8 and pseudo on the graphics we can't go wrong. rybags has offered to do some work on the sprite routines. so all we need now is a main coder.

Edited by kjmann

I'll email peteofborg and see if he answers me. pseudo, I think you would be awesome on this project. I check with espire8 and see if he's ok with it. i will be willing to take on as many as 2 graphics people and three coders maximum. would prefer to have no more that 2 coders but if three is what is needed then that.s what we will do. I don't want this game to be half assed. if this game comes together well then outrun will be only the 1st in a line of games we will do.

thanks for the sugestion BRK. and thank you for offering to be in on this pseudo. =)

Sure! pseudo is really good! He's done some nice gxf for Heaven's Beyond Evil too. welcome PG!

as I said before I have already completed the sound track and With Espire8 and pseudo on the graphics we can't go wrong. rybags has offered to do some work on the sprite routines. so all we need now is a main coder.

How detailed is your plan for this game? What I mean is, are you looking for a coder to just take your gfx/sound and make an Outrun clone? Or do you already have ideas on how technical hurdles will be overcome and how the game engine should work, and just need someone to write it?

I would like to do something on the Atari and this sounds like a cool project. The only issue is that racing games aren't my thing, I couldn't tell you the difference between Outrun and Pole Position.

i guess the guys want to take the years of experience which were collected while coding in the Space Harrier Project. So the draw routines are there, the msx routines, the gfx conversion routines... and as outrun is from sega and space harrier as well...there might be some advantages in reusing the engine.

but just my 2 cents.

i guess the guys want to take the years of experience which were collected while coding in the Space Harrier Project. So the draw routines are there, the msx routines, the gfx conversion routines... and as outrun is from sega and space harrier as well...there might be some advantages in reusing the engine.

but just my 2 cents.

Hmm, That's a great Idea Heaven. I'll ask sheddy about it.

How detailed is your plan for this game? What I mean is, are you looking for a coder to just take your gfx/sound and make an Outrun clone? Or do you already have ideas on how technical hurdles will be overcome and how the game engine should work, and just need someone to write it?

I would like to do something on the Atari and this sounds like a cool project. The only issue is that racing games aren't my thing, I couldn't tell you the difference between Outrun and Pole Position.

Well, I'd like to come as close as possible. That's asking alot I know. but with this new upgrade it's more than just possible.

Well, the problem of using the HScroll method to do the road is that then you have great difficulty using playfield for vehicles.

Then there's always the PMG option for doing the road edges and lines.

Doing the game in Graphics 10 or some hybrid of GTIA modes might be interesting, but then there's the resolution limitation and the fact that PMGs don't display in Gr. 10.

Another strategy might be to use multicolour bitmap (160x192) and just treat everything as software sprites (road edges and lines included), and have masses of unrolled optimized code to obtain the drawing speed that would be needed.

Of course, regardless of the render mode, stuff like clouds/mountains can be done on the cheap with fixed backgrounds scrolling in parallax.

Edited by Rybags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJVL0UAQ9s

i guess it could be done little bit nicer than that...

Well, not coded by polish coders I gues it would look and sound like this one:

;-)

When thinking about enhancing Hardware, what about making a roundup using a PC and playing this one:

http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=outrun2006

It really plays like the original and can be bought for 10€ here in germany.

Except for the music, shockingly bad from a viewing standpoint.

I don't think I'd even bother to download it. Looks mega-clunky so far as movement goes.

But come to think of it, I've played Outrun on MAME and didn't think much of it.

I'm fussy when it comes to driving games anyway.

I think if someone does an A8 lookalike, then it should be very much a case of "thinking outside the square" so far as programming goes.

128K RAM, load individual levels (if necessary). To get fluid movement and good looking graphics would require massively unrolled code (as per the recent software sprite threads).