IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Factory Sealed?

posuprstar

Not convinced it is a heavy-6er, very likely to be a normal 6 switch woody. not sure how you would tell from the exterior box but my PAL unit, and the other PAL h6ers, has a chess piece on the front that this box is lacking...

Probably the biggest thing going against this auction is that it clearly states "1978" over it; that being the year the light-sixers were introduced. I'm not saying that this isn't a factory-sealed Atari system, I'm just saying it probably isn't the "Original" factory sealed Atari system.(Heavy-Sixer)

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html

Edited by Dragnerok X

Probably the biggest thing going against this auction is that it clearly states "1978" over it

If the first heavy sixers were released in October of 1977, though... wouldn't that mean that the light sixers weren't introduced until late 1978 since it says the heavy sixers were produced for a year?

Probably the biggest thing going against this auction is that it clearly states "1978" over it

If the first heavy sixers were released in October of 1977, though... wouldn't that mean that the light sixers weren't introduced until late 1978 since it says the heavy sixers were produced for a year?

Yes, but how would the seller notice such a small detail?

I'm not convinced it's factory sealed. That's a rather heavy crease along the side flap which would be very easily explained if the end had been previously opened, but not so easily if this had never been opened.. Has a previous owned shoved something behind it to open? stopping only after getting a big crease to show up without breaking the glue? I wouldn't buy it.

I agree with the date/lack of chess piece, this is a later box from what the original heavies shipped in. I've never seen the original heavy sixer in the box being auctioned, only the light sixers.

I agree with the date/lack of chess piece, this is a later box from what the original heavies shipped in. I've never seen the original heavy sixer in the box being auctioned, only the light sixers.

Actually, my boxed Heavy Sixer is in this exact same box. In fact, I've had 2 boxed Heavy Sixers in this very box.

Now, it is true that a light sixer came in this box as well, but everytime I've seem them, there was a serial number sticker on the front of the box that correlated with the number on the system inside.

I would bet that it is a Heavy Sixer, based on the lack of the serial number sticker on the front of the box. I would also bet that it contains two CX-10 spring loaded joysticks, but without the hex disks, and the Fuji logo paddles and gray adapter.

I've never seen a Heavy Sixer with a serial number sticker on the box. Atari, I believe, introduced the stickers during the light sixer phase, probably to guard against forgery, which may have been happening at the time.

Actually, my boxed Heavy Sixer is in this exact same box. In fact, I've had 2 boxed Heavy Sixers in this very box.

Now, it is true that a light sixer came in this box as well, but everytime I've seem them, there was a serial number sticker on the front of the box that correlated with the number on the system inside.

I would bet that it is a Heavy Sixer, based on the lack of the serial number sticker on the front of the box. I would also bet that it contains two CX-10 spring loaded joysticks, but without the hex disks, and the Fuji logo paddles and gray adapter.

I've never seen a Heavy Sixer with a serial number sticker on the box. Atari, I believe, introduced the stickers during the light sixer phase, probably to guard against forgery, which may have been happening at the time.

That is very interesting, thanks! Could you please weigh one of your boxed heavy sixers and let me know the total weight? Also, are there good ways to know if it is a factory sealed item or not?

Thanks!

That is very interesting, thanks! Could you please weigh one of your boxed heavy sixers and let me know the total weight? Also, are there good ways to know if it is a factory sealed item or not?

Thanks!

My digital scale handles light weight packages, so it won't support the weight of my boxed heavy. Perhaps somebody else here can do that.

As for knowing if it is factory sealed... the box flaps were glued shut. The only way to know would be to break the glue seal and examine the glue residue. You'll know real quick if it was glued twice! Although this breaks the seal, (if it was original or not,) at least you'll know whether or not you had a perfect unused system on your hands, which in my opinion is just as cool as an unopened box.

If I had this, I would definitely open it, just for the sake of seeing exactly how everything was originally packed, and with what paperwork was included. Who knows, you may find a dead colony of roaches inside! :o :woozy:

Edited by the 5th ghost

Thanks!

My digital scale handles light weight packages, so it won't support the weight of my boxed heavy. Perhaps somebody else here can do that.

As for knowing if it is factory sealed... the box flaps were glued shut. The only way to know would be to break the glue seal and examine the glue residue. You'll know real quick if it was glued twice! Although this breaks the seal, (if it was original or not,) at least you'll know whether or not you had a perfect unused system on your hands, which in my opinion is just as cool as an unopened box.

If I had this, I would definitely open it, just for the sake of seeing exactly how everything was originally packed, and with what paperwork was included. Who knows, you may find a dead colony of raoches inside! :o :woozy:

lol, roaches... you never know! I'll post here when I hear back what the weight is and hopefully someone can verify....

Thier was a factory sealed light six (confirmed by serial number) for sale a few months ago. Seller indicated weight was 8lbs. 1oz. for the sealed box. It went for over $2k.

here's LINK

Wow, thanks for the link and the info... over 2k? I didn't know they were worth that much :-( So, that would mean that if this is a "heavy" then it could go for over that?

What's the difference in weight between a light and heavy sixer console alone? How about the joysticks?

Forget all that noise, did you see the beautiful maroon "Ironhorse" chopper this person is also selling, I wonder is he would like to make a trade, my entire 2600 collection for that bike.

:roll: :love: :ponder:

lol, yeah, that's a pretty sweet bike... I'm partial to the he-man figures myself, those sure bring back some memories!

So, if a boxed "light sixer" goes for $2k then what is the boxed heavy worth anyhow??? Or was the other one just a fluke and should not have gone that high?

The seller must be aware of this thread as the description has been updated today with stuff discussed here. If its a late-late production heavy it very well may be a Taiwan version instead of a true Sunnyvale unit. Only way to know that would be to open the box and look at the sticker on the bottom of it.

The seller must be aware of this thread as the description has been updated today with stuff discussed here. If its a late-late production heavy it very well may be a Taiwan version instead of a true Sunnyvale unit. Only way to know that would be to open the box and look at the sticker on the bottom of it.

Actually I think it's probably because of all the questions I've been throwing at him, LOL. If I win, would it be stupid to carefully open it, or would that destroy the value? Of couse, if it goes up to $2k it won't matter because I wouldn't win in that case. :(