IGNORED

Adventure 2 - 8-bit version?

DracIsBack

• 4 months later...
I was wondering that myself. Don't look like it's going to make it for Christmas. :(

Sorry, it's probably going to be a while before there's an 8-bit version of Adventure II.

..Al

Why? Atari Corp have their fingers on this one or just time/effort to make the changes/carts?

They were talking about bank switching it so it would run on all Atari computers, but I say forget that. I would jut put "32k Ram required" on the cart and sell it without going through that trouble.

Unfortunately it's a little more complicated than that. 8-bit computer cartridges can only access 16K at a time. To go above that the cartridge needs to bankswitch. It can take a fair amount of work to convert a game that assumes a 32K flat address space into two banks of 16K. Otherwise, yeah, it would be fairly trivial to do any 8-bit specific changes, update the label and manual, and start selling it for the 8-bit. :)

..Al

They were talking about bank switching it so it would run on all Atari computers, but I say forget that. I would jut put "32k Ram required" on the cart and sell it without going through that trouble.

Unfortunately it's a little more complicated than that. 8-bit computer cartridges can only access 16K at a time. To go above that the cartridge needs to bankswitch. It can take a fair amount of work to convert a game that assumes a 32K flat address space into two banks of 16K. Otherwise, yeah, it would be fairly trivial to do any 8-bit specific changes, update the label and manual, and start selling it for the 8-bit. :)

..Al

If it ok that the game requires 32K RAM (vs 16K), it is easy. Enable one bank, copy 8K to $4000, Enable second bank, copy 8K to $6000, enable main bank. Run it.

Making it run with only 16K RAM is more complicated and I didn't feel it was worth the effort in Beef Drop (or maybe I was lazy) to bank switch in game just to let it run on unexpanded 400's or 600XLs.

Edited by kenfused

If it ok that the game requires 32K RAM (vs 16K), it is easy. Enable one bank, copy 8K to $4000, Enable second bank, copy 8K to $6000, enable main bank. Run it.

Making it run with only 16K RAM is more complicated and I didn't feel it was worth the effort in Beef Drop (or maybe I was lazy) to bank switch in game just to let it run on unexpanded 400's or 600XLs.

Ahh, well, in that case it sounds pretty trivial. Too bad a bankswitch cart is needed to bank switch a total of two times! :) Not sure if Ron wants to make additional changes to the game, though. I don't really think it's worth supporting 16K machines either. I would think anyone still using their 8-bit computer has at least 64K at this point. :)

..Al

get it done soon so I can get rid of my 5200 :roll:

Like many of us here, I would have to break down and finally get a 5200 to play Adventure II. Might just happen soon too if and when Tempest and Sinistar get released (unless they both appear on the A8 as well).

• 1 month later...
get it done soon so I can get rid of my 5200 :roll:

Like many of us here, I would have to break down and finally get a 5200 to play Adventure II. Might just happen soon too if and when Tempest and Sinistar get released (unless they both appear on the A8 as well).

That's actually my reasoning for asking. 5200's are so rare in the wild around here that it's a huge pain to get one - especially when I have an XEGS ready and waiting.