IGNORED

Dreamcast picks?

I've just received my first Dreamcast system (thank you, RasterScan!), and just love it, which is something of a surprise to me, as I've never really taken to any of Sega's other released systems. In any case, I'd like to expand my small library of games, which essentially consists of Soul Calibur, Shenmue I, and a few Resident Evil titles. Any recommendations or picks? I seem to recall (vaguely) hearing about one game set in northern Canada, which would be perfect for me, but can't remember the name. Anyone?

I've just received my first Dreamcast system (thank you, RasterScan!), and just love it, which is something of a surprise to me, as I've never really taken to any of Sega's other released systems. In any case, I'd like to expand my small library of games, which essentially consists of Soul Calibur, Shenmue I, and a few Resident Evil titles. Any recommendations or picks? I seem to recall (vaguely) hearing about one game set in northern Canada, which would be perfect for me, but can't remember the name. Anyone?

I recently picked up a Dreamcast too. I've enjoyed Star Lancer, Little Green Army Men, and then from there I played with a SNES and Intellivision emulator, a fwew racing games with a steering wheel controller I picked up, and the rest of the time I've been IRc chatting with it.

Fun and capible system. If you missed the other Sega systems, no major loss... Dreamcast is the must see though. :D

Skies of Arcadia - cliche' in every way, but knows it, and doesn't care. The heroes are great company - the kind of people who'd rather pick people up when they fall than cut themselves when they're down. Only a slightly high enemy encounter rate keeps this one from the Hall of Fame.

Edited by A Sprite

Daytona USA,Crazy Taxi,Crazy Taxi 2,House of the Dead 2,Marvel VS Capcom 2,Capcom VS SNK 2,TechRomancer,Power Stone, Power Stone 2,Last Blade2, Mark of the Wolves,and Dynmite Cop 2.These are some of my top picks.

The Dreamcast really had some good fighting and arcade style games. :)

Both Marvel Vs. Capcom are must haves.

Omikron is a surprisingly good game that got little attention. It was one of the first games that I know of that played like a single player MMO.

Everybody gives it a hard time, but I really liked the Dragon Riders of Pern game.

Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare, Illbleed, Phantasy Star Online (version 2), Record Of Lodoss War, Project Justice, both Sonic Adventure games, all stuff you need in the collection.

This is my Dreamcast "must have" list (in no particular order):

D2

Fighting Vipers 2

Seaman

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm

Crazy Taxi

Jet Grind Radio

Rez

Skies of Arcadia

Grandia II

Chu Chu Rocket!

Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern

San Francisco Rush 2049

Record of Lodoss War

Dead or Alive 2

Super Magnetic Neo

The Typing of the Dead

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Virtua Tennis

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Shenmue

Soul Calibur

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage

StarLancer

Feel free to ask any questions about titles on this list, I'd be happy to eloborate.

Edited by Rev. Rob

Gunbird 2 is ok, i wouldn't say it's a must have, it's very short and repetative. Sword of the Berzerk is a good game, but there is A LOT of cut scenes, almost more scenes than actual action, so some may find it boring, I thought it was a decent game. Marvel vs. Capcom, definetly a must get. Code Veronica is also a must get, I also find MTV Skateboarding to be more enjoyable than the Tony Hawks.

Speaking of Dreamcast, anybody have an extra, just the system, no cords or anything for sale?

Few titles from the brink of obscurity, where I typically reside:

Project Justice: Rival Schools is a criminally underrated 3D fighter.

Bangai-O is a very anime inspired 2d shooter by Treasure, which I loved.

Bleemcast Metal Gear Solid is cool, but you need a dedicated VMU to it (all 200 blocks, grr)

Mars Matrix is an outstanding 2d vertical shooter, although the graphics are a little underwhelming

Space Channel 5 is one ridiculously fun rythym game, a la Parappa the Rappa

Also, play Grandia 2. Stunning RPG.

And get acclimated with the dreamcast emulation and homebrew scene. Its phenomenal.

The typical must plays are Soul Caliber, Marvel vs. Capcom, Jet Grind Radio, Crazi Taxi, Dead or Alive 2, Virtua Tennis 2k2, House of the Dead 2, and Ikaruga. I'm also partial to the ports of Rayman 2, Tony Hawk 2, and MDK 2.

At any rate, enjoy the console. I've likely spent more time with it than any other system. In fact, I'm remarkably tempted to play it now.

Edited by KeyserSoze61

Yes, I agree that Carrier is good, pretty original in some aspects, too (like a special set of optics so you can tell who's infected and who's not).

Honestly, though, if you want to play Code Veronica, get it on the GameCube. It's easily the best version, as it has better graphics than the PS2 version and has expanded content.

Blue Stinger is also pretty fun...IF you can find a later release copy that fixed the fatal glitch from the earlier pressings.

I seem to recall (vaguely) hearing about one game set in northern Canada, which would be perfect for me, but can't remember the name. Anyone?

That's D-2.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/d-2

Is this a light gun game? I don't have a light gun and can't tell.

" On the original Japanese version you see how the monster after having entangled Kimberly, raises one of its tentacles to her face and in a scene lifted right out of Urotsukidöji, proceeds to rape her orally (and yes, she swallows, which is actually a key plot point). The english version pans the camera upwards when the tentacle aproaches her mouth and has a shorter overall duration, so you know what to do kids: Start learning Japanese!!!"

Wow.... They sure know how to make those games in the Jap world! LOL