IGNORED

Nintendo may retire "Game Boy" name

128bytes

It doesn't look like we will be able to post about the GBA (the greatest portable gaming system of all time in my opinion) in "Modern Gaming" for much longer.

:(

image-gameboylineboxed.jpg

link to article

A snippet:

This year in our marketing you really won't see much push against Game Boy itself, so it will kind of seek its own level. It's hard to say in the future if we will ever bring back the Game Boy trademark," he told GameDaily BIZ in an E3 interview (full transcription coming soon).

"It was a big risk for us to actually pass on it and call the new product the Nintendo DS, but it was part of Mr. Iwata's philosophy that if we're going to make a radical difference and try to reach a new audience, then we have to change the name... We had to make a break even though we had one of the greatest trademarks in the history of the industry."

I thought they pretty much dropped it when the DS took over anyways.

You are 100% right. Before the DS became a hit, with all the "third pillar" talk, I was hoping that a next generation Game Boy would appear at a price under $100. I would like to see the GBA die a slow death, with the current GBASP2 kept at a low price as a small kids' machine. I still prefer the pocketable, smaller form factors of the GBASP and Micro to the DS Lite.

By the way, if anyone sees clearance pricing for the Micro or the GBASP2, let us know!

In my opinion, the GBA was probably the greatest handheld game system ever. To be honest though, this comes as no surprise. Just look at the release lists from the last year. Gamefaqs currently lists only two games coming out for it for the rest of the year. The DS can do everything the GBA can do and more. No need for two systems stealing sales from each other.

You are 100% right. Before the DS became a hit, with all the "third pillar" talk, I was hoping that a next generation Game Boy would appear at a price under $100.

One has to wonder, if the DS hadn't been a hit, the Gameboy name probably wouldn't be dead. See...They waited until they knew the DS was a great success before making this announcement. If the DS had bombed they'd probably be touting the upcoming release of the GigaGameboy as we speak.

This doesn't have anything to do with discontinuing the GBA line, it's just someone at Nintendo saying that he doesn't think they need to maintain the name in their next handheld now that the DS has proven to be such a success.

So basically what you're are saying that regardless if the DS had been a success or a failure Nintendo was going to drop the Gameboy name anyways or are you stating what I just did, that they made this change because the DS was such a success they don't need the Gameboy name anymore?

Edited by moycon

I thought they pretty much dropped it when the DS took over anyways.

You are 100% right. Before the DS became a hit, with all the "third pillar" talk, I was hoping that a next generation Game Boy would appear at a price under $100. I would like to see the GBA die a slow death, with the current GBASP2 kept at a low price as a small kids' machine. I still prefer the pocketable, smaller form factors of the GBASP and Micro to the DS Lite.

By the way, if anyone sees clearance pricing for the Micro or the GBASP2, let us know!

Last year I got advance systems at wally world for $20. I think they have Micros fo $40 last I looked

what im curious about is what they'll call the next handheld. i wonder if they will continue with the dual screen design and name, or create something totally different. it would be interesting if the DS name became the new "gameboy"

Well, the GBA IS 6 years old at this point. It's lived a nice healthy life by any standards. (with Nintendo products, that seems to be about 5 years)

Incidentally, I would be one to jump on the next GameBoy if/when one comes out. But if they do drop it, for gods sake, make the next system have one big screen instead of two small ones. I still have yet to see anything truely justify haveing a seconde screen for any reason (or at the very least, put touch controll on both screens)

I see the DS continuing though, and Nintendo releasing a four screen model, with touch screens on both bottome screens and no controllers (leaving it up to the game designers, or maybe the player, to design their own controllers to work with the game :P ) Ok, that was just stupid :lol

post-3102-1184717590_thumb.jpg

I'm quite glad they ditched it. Nintendo really did a clean sweep this generation and it's clearly done them the world of good.

The gameboy (in all it's forms) was superb but you can't keep an IP going like that just because it was popular (especially when about 45% of DS's are owned by girls). It's kinda like the sad way that Sony still stick the Walkman name on their mp3 players and cellphones. That ship has sailed!

I like the QS idea! Combine it with some Wii controllers and you have a crazy experience.

I'm trying to figure out the game on each screen...

Upper left: Hard Drivin, just past the cow barn

Upper right: I guess that's the overhead radar

Lower left: some kind of flight simulator

Lower right: Asteroids?

Call me crazy, but my favorite of the Game Boy line has to be the first one. It plays games and it has become a great conversation piece. Any time I bust mine out while I'm in public, at least one person makes a comment about it.

As for the Walkman name, that's pretty much a standard, IMO. "Walkman" refers to a portable cassette player, even if it's not anything close to the Sony units that played analog tapes. It's easier to say than "portable tape player" or "portable personal digital media player".

"Well, I own a portable DCC machine" er, no

"I own a DCC walkman!"

If you want to appeal to kids and adults, maybe its a good idea to drop the boy and move on to more neutral things like DS (Dual Screen or Developers' System :)).

Yeah, the DS is just fine as a name. Watch out, though...the Wii has been so successful that they could always come out with the Wee Wii ;)