IGNORED

Frog Feast Jaguar CD preview version.

cdoty

The preview version of Frog Feast is now available from:

http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/Jaguar.html

The preview is available as either a BJL or unencrypted cd in Disc Juggler format. If someone would like to encrypt the image, please feel free.

It loads correctly under Protector SE. The final version will be encrypted, I just bought a JagLink from myatari on ebay.

This version allows one or two player play, but does not have the flies or sound and music.

There is some corruption of the image data at the top of the image. This will be fixed over the next few days.

Also, I'm not sure this will work correctly on a PAL Jaguar. I will verify this shortly.

Please post any issues you find.

It's always nice to see new homebrews on the Jag :)

Besides moving the frogs and making them jump, is there anything else to try out in this demo ?

By the way, I've had much trouble getting your program to run on my Jag (through BJL)... Out of 7 or 8 tries, it only started once ; the rest of the time, I get a red error screen : post-8748-1185613650_thumb.png

Hi, thanks for your dedication to the Jaguar.

I am having difficulties to get "behind" the "Press A Button" screen:

post-10054-1185623702_thumb.jpg

Once I push the A button all I get is a black screen. The black screen will stay no matter how long I wait.

I tested this with the BJL file as well as with the Nero image you offered for download a while ago. The results are the same as described.

I tested on NTSC and PAL Jaguars, no difference in behaviour.

I just downloaded the latest zip file which contains the CD image.

When I open the zip file, my unzip program will show the contained file "JagCDFrogFeast.cdi" dated July 28th, 2007.

But once I unzip, all I get is a file called "Frog.nrg" dated May 14th, 2005.

I don´t understand this...

Edited by jaguar_fan

I just downloaded the latest zip file which contains the CD image.

When I open the zip file, my unzip program will show the contained file "JagCDFrogFeast.cdi" dated July 28th, 2007.

But once I unzip, all I get is a file called "Frog.nrg" dated May 14th, 2005.

It's probably a problem with FlashFXP. If a file exists, it wants to resume the upload. I've reuploaded the CD image.

The BJL version was re-uploaded also.

Besides moving the frogs and making them jump, is there anything else to try out in this demo ?

By the way, I've had much trouble getting your program to run on my Jag (through BJL)... Out of 7 or 8 tries, it only started once ; the rest of the time, I get a red error screen : post-8748-1185613650_thumb.png

You can try two player mode. If you have a second joystick, you can control the other frog. This version is more of a testing version, to ensure it works on the real system. The flies, music and, sound are implemented, but disabled in the preview version.

I also had a lot of problems getting the BJL version to transfer correctly. But, isn't this a problem with the connection to the Jaguar, rather than the game? It's probably made worse by the size of the file.

I had no luck under window 98 MS Dos prompt until I set it to full screen.

This is the old version.

The new version allows you to select one or two players:

Jaguar1.jpg

The file uploaded to the ftp is the wrong one.

This is the old version.

The new version allows you to select one or two players:

Jaguar1.jpg

The file uploaded to the ftp is the wrong one.

Thanks, I´ll give it another try.

Hello Charles!

I have just tested the ~500KB FROGBJL.JAG file and it worked in my environment (PAL-Jag with my own flash-card)

under both 50Hz and 60Hz, (50HZ not vertically centered, black bar at the bottom),

the Single-player and 2-player mode worked also.

Kind regards

Matthias

PS: Please don't forget to use FireB in latter versions as the main-action button!!!

Hello Charles!

I have just tested the ~500KB FROGBJL.JAG file and it worked in my environment (PAL-Jag with my own flash-card)

under both 50Hz and 60Hz, (50HZ not vertically centered, black bar at the bottom),

the Single-player and 2-player mode worked also.

Kind regards

Matthias

PS: Please don't forget to use FireB in latter versions as the main-action button!!!

I figured I would have to adjust the screen position based on PAL/NTSC.

I will switch the button. I was tempted to make all three buttons work.

Thanks for testing this.

Hello again,

meanwhile i burned the CD, and it worked for me too.

There is some corruption of the image data at the top of the image. This will be fixed over the next few days.

I got this only with the CD-version, the BJL-version didn't show this, but perhaps

you had fixed this already before you updated the files?

Bye!

Matthias

Hi!

I will switch the button. I was tempted to make all three buttons work.

At the moment there is only one action in the game implemented (either jump

or usage of the tongue during a jump), so having this action mapped (only)

to Fire A is not what the average Jaguar-gamer expects, i don't know what your plans are,

but either map this to Fire B or simply to A, B and C ;)

(Same is true for the menu-screen)

Regards

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

I got this only with the CD-version, the BJL-version didn't show this, but perhaps

you had fixed this already before you updated the files?

That's the only place I see it also.

Could this be a problem with loading it under a encryption bypass cart/Jag Free? I used Protector SE?

It's random, so it's either a loading issue or I need to insert some sort of delay somewhere. If it was a loading issue, it would probably corrupt the program at some point in time, but it doesn't seem to do this. The program loads consistently.

I burned the cdi image and tested the software on my NTSC Jaguar with a Protector SE cartridge attached. This Jaguar is switchable between 60 Hz and 50 Hz.

I tested both settings without any problems.

So far I did not notice any corruption in the image data. Is there a way to force this corruption?

Hello!

@jaguar_fan:

It is possible that you oversee the effect, or think that it looks as designed.

The effect ist, that at the very top of the graphics-rectangle a lot of random bright (white?) pixels occur

over the full width of the screen (both in menu and ingame). These random pixels only run down to the top

of the left cloud.

I got this only with the CD-version, the BJL-version didn't show this,...

That's the only place I see it also.

Could this be a problem with loading it under a encryption bypass cart/Jag Free? I used Protector SE?

No, i am using the other bypass-method (the patched CD-BOOT-ROM), so it is not ProtSE-specific.

It's random, so it's either a loading issue or I need to insert some sort of delay somewhere. If it was a loading issue, it would probably corrupt the program at some point in time, but it doesn't seem to do this. The program loads consistently.

Hmm, do you use different FrogFeast-Binary for the CD?

If you would just simply use the same BIN as for the JAG-file i could not see any reason directly related to the load-process.

(The only possible mistake done by a CD-project programmer would be to forget to place a buffer of 64 bytes behind the buffer for the data to load).

Anyhow, for me it looks more like a simple problem with initializing (clearing) the screenobject for the text-layer,

but it's always hard to tell without knowing the sourcecode.

Regards

Matthias

So far I did not notice any corruption in the image data. Is there a way to force this corruption?

Not that I know of. Could it be related to the speed it was burned at? I burned my at 48x, I will try another at slower speeds.

What software did you burn it with, and at what speed?

Look at the top of the screen, you should see some garbage pixels.

Hmm, do you use different FrogFeast-Binary for the CD?

If you would just simply use the same BIN as for the JAG-file i could not see any reason directly related to the load-process.

(The only possible mistake done by a CD-project programmer would be to forget to place a buffer of 64 bytes behind the buffer for the data to load).

Anyhow, for me it looks more like a simple problem with initializing (clearing) the screenobject for the text-layer,

but it's always hard to tell without knowing the sourcecode.

No, it's the same BJL file brought into Jaguar CD creator as a boot track. I use the prepend word. I'll try padding out the BJL file before creating the CD. Is PadCD needed for creating a Jag Free CD, or is it for the encryption process?

Wouldn't the screen object problem show up in the BJL version also? And, it would seem to be a little less random. I've seen it corrupt the top of the background image, corrupt the top of the title image, even change one color on the title screen.

I'll check my lengths to make sure I'm not overwriting something. Weird stuff...

Edited by cdoty

Hello!

@jaguar_fan:

It is possible that you oversee the effect, or think that it looks as designed.

The effect ist, that at the very top of the graphics-rectangle a lot of random bright (white?) pixels occur

over the full width of the screen (both in menu and ingame). These random pixels only run down to the top

of the left cloud.

Regards

Matthias

Hmm, I have not realized bright pixels, but I should really take a closer look once again. Possibly I have just overseen the pixels. I´ll get back to this...

Not that I know of. Could it be related to the speed it was burned at? I burned my at 48x, I will try another at slower speeds.

What software did you burn it with, and at what speed?

Look at the top of the screen, you should see some garbage pixels.

People say that burning Jaguar CDs at high speeds may cause reading errors by the Jaguar CD device. I am keeping this in mind when burning a Jaguar CD. Fortunately my CD/DVD burner allows speeds down to 4x so I am using that speed just in case what people say about high speeds is true.

However I also already burned Jaguar CDs at 12x or 24x and have not yet experienced any problems so far.

Edited by jaguar_fan