IGNORED

Insane Painter

Fort Apocalypse

A game written in Batari Basic for the 2600. I'm told it is like a mix of breakout and surround. It is also fairly chaotic.

Story

Two painters were asked to paint a nuclear research facility. Unfortunately, after they arrive they realized there is some very strange stuff going on in the facility. Someone accidentally dropped a small vial of nuclear material that is very kinetic and deadly. It flies around bouncing off the walls and marring the floor with explosions when it reacts with the paint. Then there is the small problem of a security droid that runs over the paint and messes it up, which wouldn't be so bad. However, it is as deadly as the vial, and it seems to send signals when it touches the paint that make the vial move erratically! Finally the nuclear material and paint mixing together with the droid's signals seem to be making other strange things appear... Are they ghosts? Have the painters' tools become the painters' demise? You'd have to be insane to paint a facility like this!

Description

For 1-2 players. 1 player game is playing with computer as 2nd player who cannot contribute points, and computer player is not really cooperative. 2 player game is cooperative (both players contribute points). 10 points per paint section. Hold button down to paint. Avoid container, droid, ghost paintbrush and ghost paint roller. Paint enough and you can move on to the next room if you survive (but some rooms may be hard to see!). Unfortunately things get faster.

Release Notes

0.8 is way more stable now and looks better! Please try it out! Thanks, Batari and SeaGtGruff for the help, and everyone else for trying it out!

I'm still looking for ideas, so please let me know where you think I should go next. I have no idea how to use player sprites both for two players and two enemies and still handle collisions without using multisprite kernel (which I don't think I can use since it doesn't allow pfpixel or asymmetric playfield).

insane_painter_0.8.basinsane_painter_0.8.bas.bin

post-7602-1187780438_thumb.pngpost-7602-1189047079_thumb.png

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Still buggy, but is getting kind of interesting (or chaotic, can't decide). Level 2 with 2 balls at 2000 points. Level 3 with 2 balls and 1st enemy at 3000. Level 4 with 2 balls and 2nd enemy at 4000. Intro has somewhat of a theme song (some percussion with lighting effects).

insane_painter_0.5.basinsane_painter_0.5.bas.bin

This is a nice fast paced game, i like the combination of gameplay-elements from surround and breakout!

And yes, it is quite chaotic (i like it that way) :D

Sometimes when i die the game gets "stuck" and nothing goes anymore.

I think it would be nice if the balls were bigger, they're kinda hard to see. Sometimes it's hard to tell where your player is on the screen because it's made of playfield-graphics, i think it would be better to make it with a different looking sprite.

Overall this game is already fun to play and i think it can become a very good game!

Keep up the good work!

This is a nice fast paced game, i like the combination of gameplay-elements from surround and breakout!

And yes, it is quite chaotic (i like it that way) :D

Sometimes when i die the game gets "stuck" and nothing goes anymore.

I think it would be nice if the balls were bigger, they're kinda hard to see. Sometimes it's hard to tell where your player is on the screen because it's made of playfield-graphics, i think it would be better to make it with a different looking sprite.

Overall this game is already fun to play and i think it can become a very good game!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! A little progress made in 0.6, at least ball is bigger (missile1 looks a little skinny). Potentially more levels if it wasn't still having trouble with the life counter, random lockups, and unwarranted collision with ball/missile1 and computer player. If anyone sees what I'm doing wrong in the rats nest of code, please let me know.

insane_painter_0.6.basinsane_painter_0.6.bas.bin

Hi

Nice game,but sometimes i die and i do not know why???? :?

How about a short manual?

But the game is a nice mix between Surround and Breakout.

greetings Walter

Thanks! There are some bugs I think most are around the collisions (there was some bad arithmetic around the edges of the playfield too). I fixed the playfield edge stuff but the collision stuff I'm not sure about. I had tried adding a pop before the goto's in the subroutines but that didn't fix them. Commenting the collision code out fixes it though. It also messes up the way that pfscore is shown on the 2nd collision (regardless of whether pfscore is altered) and the collision after that breaks the game (reboots). Also, there is something wierd around the computer player dying (which wasn't supposed to happen) that I attempted to fix a few times but is somehow still messed up.

I'll post the latest code in a minute.

I'm unfortunately totally in the dark about how to use the built in debugger in Stella. I know I press '`' to get into it, but then I'm launched into assembly code land with no familiar "step" button anywhere. My eyes glazed over looking at the documentation for it. Would be nice to have to look for an .asm file in the current directory and allow you to go step by step with a pointer pointing to the instruction it just executed in the asm code to see where you are, in addition to showing you what things are set to. Would be even better if Batari Basic had a plugin to Stella's debugger that could show you where in the bB code you are and what variables are set to. I know that will never happen, but it would be helpful.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure where else to go with it other than maybe trying to reuse player0 and player1 sprites for even more sprites (but that might be too busy), changing the behavior of player0/1 sprites... at a creative loss and I know it is no where as good as it should be. I don't know how to reuse player0/1 sprites as actual player sprites without getting really crazy with collision detection (like did player0 collide with player0... huh?)

• 3 weeks later...
Good !! why the screen named 0.9 ?

That was built off of my latest "snapshot" build version locally. I haven't released it because there weren't any significant changes from 0.8 (yet).

If you have idea for how this could be a better game, let me know. I might even try to go down the road of player sprites, but is just going to be a pain since I can't use collision detection easily if I'm reusing player0 and player1 sprites.