IGNORED

GoSub 2

atari2600land

Anyone interested in a GoSub sequel? I'm in the early stages of working on it and just was wondering if anyone would like one. Because if not, it'd be kind of pointless to keep working on it. It uses the multisprite kernel, which results in longer mazes. Here's what I have so far:

gosubtwo12.bas.bin

Edited by atari2600land

Nice work so far! I like GoSub and it would be nice to have GoSub 2! But IMO it should play a bit different then the first one.

I have a few suggestions:

- It would be nice if you could shoot the enemies and score points.

- Change the enemies look and behaviour every few (5 or 6?) levels - e.g. replace the fish with a shark that is hunting you or replace the octopus with a faster one in later levels.

- I think moving barriers or falling rocks would be nice.

Overall i think if you put in some more action and variation this could become a nice sequel to GoSub!

Keep up the good work! :)

I added being able to shoot the enemies. But what I need help with now is the mini-game. I'm thinking Combat for this time, and I need your people's opinion on one thing: When the sub hits the wall in the minigame, should it A.) keep ramming the wall; or B.) bounce off and go in the opposite direction? version 18b has the first option and version 18c has the second one. Many thanks to Mike Rideout for helping me with this part. To get to the mini-game, at the title screen, press the select switch until the first digit gets to 2, then press the reset switch.

gosubtwo18b.bas.bin

gosubtwo18c.bas.bin

I would love a GoSub 2 but it would have to be a lot different then the first. I will write a review on part one.....

GoSub Review - by Crazy Climber

I attended the MGC in 2007 and was able to get this game a little sooner then most due to it being released at the show first. I did not play it first as I like to gamble on 2600 games, kind of reminds me of when I was a kid since you generally did not get a chance to play them first. You had to use your imagination as to weather they would be good or not. I think it adds to the excitement...will it be good?? .....will it suck?? Knock my system if you will but I like it:) That being said I felt good with my GoSub purchase initially. When I first powered it up and heard the off-beat, slightly out of tune intro music I was reminded of why I love the Atari 2600, it has character. I love the game play in GoSub. The simple concept of guiding your Sub through the maze, pressing the fire button to shock the dreaded Octopus...or is it a Squid? Either way, it's fun. I was instantly addicted but I did have some gripes and they are pretty major.

Gripe #1 - Too easy... I was able to play this game all the way through my first attempt. Then I played again and played it all the way through again. I was basicly able to play this game to the ending as many times in a row as I wanted to. The problems with it being to easy are as follows. You get 3 new charges after every level so you basicly never run out. Every time you see an Octopus just shock it since you never have to worry about running out of charges, I don't recall any level where I saw more then 3 Octopus, not very challenging. The levels could be harder. The last level where the screen blacks out is my favorite, it is the most challenging and there should have been more like it, maybe (as mentioned above) the possibility of shooting the Octopus but in return the Octopus could shoot ink at you (is that squids that do that? Can't remember)

Gripe #2 - No replay value.....The fact that it was super easy was made worse because this game has no scoring system and after you beat the last level it resets and goes to the title screen. Besides the totally addictive gameplay I really have no reason to ever play it again. The addictive gameplay fades when you just beat the game 5 times in a row with one sub and have nothing to show for it. There should be some sort of point system and the game should never really end, it should just keep getting harder so people like me can spend hours and hours trying to beat the high score. Maybe the sub could keep moving faster after each completion or maybe even slower? With each ending it would eventually get so insanely fast or slow that the challenge would increase substantually. Just tossing out ideas. If there must be an ending it should be done Ghost Manor style meaning I can still try to get a higher score by doing things differently in each game to get maximum points.

Gripe #3 - Price....This should be a $20 game, unless it is made harder and has more replay value. I would not pay $25 for GoSub 2.

Gripe #4 - The mini game.....Again there is no point system or score keeping system. The subs are always identical in speed and there is really nothing to it. Needs some kind of a turbo that appears so the subs can fight over it or some kind of timer with a lap counter. Maybe an option to shoot each other (Combat idea you have sounds like a Winner to me) It reminds me more of an early stage demo then a game. If you go with the Combat idea please make some kind of score keeping system.

I hope you will take my critisism politely as I am not trying to crap on your game. I really liked the gameplay, I am honest in saying that it's some of the most addicting 2600 action I have played. I really like the whole idea as well, I got really in to it. If GoSub just had some kind of scoring system and wasn't so easy to beat I would give it 4 out of 5 joysticks. As it stands right now I would probably give it 2 out of 5 just because I can play it over and over with no game being any different from the previous game. There is just flat out no replay value. Please do make a GoSub 2, make the Combat minigame, make longer more challenging levels, make a scoring system for both the game and mini game, maybe make the sub and enemies shoot but most of all keep the original super addictive gameplay of the first one and I am sure it would be a hit. GoSub was good but I think it was released to early and needed polishing, GoSub 2 could be the opportunity to do that polishing :) I fully support a GoSub 2 project :)

Edited by Crazy Climber

Thank you for the review. A scoring system has been implemented in both the mini-game and regular game. The sub can now shoot the octopus and fish instead of just shocking them. Here's the way GoSub 2 stands right now. Suggestions/Criticism welcome. BTW, there will be more mazes, I just haven't made them yet.

gosubtwo24.bas.bin

gosubtwo24.bas

gosub2manual.txt

Gripe #3 - Price....This should be a $20 game, unless it is made harder and has more replay value. I would not pay $25 for GoSub 2.

Just an FYI - the price of the games are pretty much dictated by ROM size. 4K games are $20, anything 8K or larger are $25. This is due to the extra bank switching hardware that must be included to work around the Atari's 4K limit. The games that come with a box(Thrust+ Platinum, Cat Trax, Funky Fish and Pleiades) cost even more due to the high cost of the box.

All further versions will be updated in the Atari 2600 BASIC forum thread with the same name (without the question mark.) There was a glitch that caused the fish and the octopus to be in the minigame when you selected the minigame with them on screen at the title screen. This has been fixed.

Just an FYI - the price of the games are pretty much dictated by ROM size. 4K games are $20, anything 8K or larger are $25. This is due to the extra bank switching hardware that must be included to work around the Atari's 4K limit. The games that come with a box(Thrust+ Platinum, Cat Trax, Funky Fish and Pleiades) cost even more due to the high cost of the box.

Yeah, I really have no clue about the tech side. I also don't mind paying $25 for homebrews, I have bought several at that price. Just saying I wouldn't do it again unless it had more replay value :)

• 2 months later...

Since it's been three months since I've posted progress of this game on the Homebrew forums, I thought I'd just post a little progress update. And I plan to use most of the 32k I have for mazes, which would give me a total of around 80 or so. So, what do you think so far?

gosubtwo50.bas.bin

gosubtwo50.bas

• 4 weeks later...

Another month (almost), another update to the thread in this forum. Among the new things are a second enemy, and way more mazes. See if you can spot the Easter egg. Comments/suggestions encouraged. I'm shooting for about 100 mazes for the game. (So far I'm almost half-way there.) There's a level select code: At the title screen, press fire & right or fire & left. The second three-digit number will change. That's the maze number. There's 48 mazes so far. As always, you can check out the development in the Batari Basic forum.

gosubtwo75.bas.bin

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm almost done. If you could go through the game and see if there's anything wrong with it, i'd very much appreciate it.

The game looks great. I love the fact that I can finally kill that @#$%^ octopus!

• 12 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing GoSub 2 on tomorrow's (Fri Nov 27) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1527664010_20201127-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.77a936aaf73f180e48d6afe163161e21.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew