IGNORED

File version of Commando? Yes!

_Fandal_

Hi all!

OK. Here we go. But this is not just a pure conversion as usually. This is a hack with new title screen and title music!

Credits:

Fandal: file version & additional code

emkay: G2F title screen

sack/cosine: RMT title music

Raster: idea of hack & online ICQ assistance

Enjoy!

F.

hey fandal,

great work. it runs well on the emulator. however, I can't make it work on my real machine. the game loads OK, but after the yellow text appears not the g2f picture appear but garbage :( I can even hear the music playing, but after a short while, the machine freezes.

i have the satantronic 1MB Simm Upgrade and Qmeg Os 4.04. I deactivated all the upgrades and tried various combinations.

are you aware of any incompatibilities?

grtx,

\twh

hey fandal,

great work. it runs well on the emulator. however, I can't make it work on my real machine. the game loads OK, but after the yellow text appears not the g2f picture appear but garbage :( I can even hear the music playing, but after a short while, the machine freezes.

i have the satantronic 1MB Simm Upgrade and Qmeg Os 4.04. I deactivated all the upgrades and tried various combinations.

are you aware of any incompatibilities?

grtx,

\twh

I expected these problems. Various expansions are NOT 100% compatible and that was the reason I originally didn't want to make any conversion for more than 64kB of expanded memory as at least 130XE SHOULD be 100% compatible. Sorry. I can't do anything with those problems. :(

All my conversions are working fine on my two expanded systems (Rambo and Compy) with 256 KB of XMS. That's all I can say.

F.

I have 192k of XMS (I have an NTSC Atari 800XL). Is there any chance to convert the .xex into that system?

Yes. It's possible to make a conversion of original dump (no g2f title picture and no rmt title music) for 192kB expanded system.

See the attachment for 192kB version. It works fine in emulator but I don't have any system with just 192kB of XMS so I can't test it on real HW...

F.

Commando_192.zip

Edited by _Fandal_

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tested the 192K version of Commando with the Wizztronics 256K for 800XL?

I do see the "now loading: Commando..." screen but then the screen becomes garbled and video is unsynced. I never see the message "> copying data <".

FYI, this is a NTSC 800XL and I believe the banks used for the Wizztronics are A3, A7, AB, AF, C3, C7, CB, CF, E3, A7, EB, EF (though I am not 100% certain).

- Steve Sheppard

Has anyone tested the 192K version of Commando with the Wizztronics 256K for 800XL?

I do see the "now loading: Commando..." screen but then the screen becomes garbled and video is unsynced. I never see the message "> copying data <".

FYI, this is a NTSC 800XL and I believe the banks used for the Wizztronics are A3, A7, AB, AF, C3, C7, CB, CF, E3, A7, EB, EF (though I am not 100% certain).

- Steve Sheppard

Please run this test program on your Atari to detect all banks and let me know.

F.

- Steve Sheppard

F.

_Fandal, your program reports 83, 8B, 8F, A3, A7, AB, AF, C3, C7, CB, CF, E3, E7, EB, EF, and FF.

BTW, my list had a typo. I listed A7 twice. The second one was supposed to be E7.

Also I tried Satantronics' XRAM program. It found the same banks minus FF and it found an error in bank 83. I asked a friend to test his Wizztronics and he received the exact same results. 15 banks detected and an error in bank 83.

This upgrade is only 256K total. Shouldn't there be 12 extended banks?

Thanks for your help, _Fandal!

- Steve Sheppard

Well,

thats normal for these kind of upgrades that replace 64k RAM by 256k RAM. Its a hardware issue that cannot be corrected (or avoided) by software... Whenever you start a RAM or XRAM detection software, it will also detect and show your base RAM as being XRAM, which is not true... (and the error in bank 83 is the RAM under the OS, including most likely region $D000-D7FF, which are they I/O ports that cannot be used as RAM). -Andreas Koch.

Well,

thats normal for these kind of upgrades that replace 64k RAM by 256k RAM. Its a hardware issue that cannot be corrected (or avoided) by software... Whenever you start a RAM or XRAM detection software, it will also detect and show your base RAM as being XRAM, which is not true... (and the error in bank 83 is the RAM under the OS, including most likely region $D000-D7FF, which are they I/O ports that cannot be used as RAM). -Andreas Koch.

Very noob-ish question: Why would I/O ports end up being accessible at the $4000-$7FFF window?

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

- Steve Sheppard

F.

_Fandal, your program reports 83, 8B, 8F, A3, A7, AB, AF, C3, C7, CB, CF, E3, E7, EB, EF, and FF.

BTW, my list had a typo. I listed A7 twice. The second one was supposed to be E7.

Also I tried Satantronics' XRAM program. It found the same banks minus FF and it found an error in bank 83. I asked a friend to test his Wizztronics and he received the exact same results. 15 banks detected and an error in bank 83.

- Steve Sheppard

Oh, yes. The old problem with 192kB machines. Please read this thread. There're two versions of Commando for 192kB systems. Hopefully version with no detection or version with improved one will work on your Atari.

F.

- Steve Sheppard

F.

- Steve Sheppard

Oh, yes. The old problem with 192kB machines. Please read this thread. There're two versions of Commando for 192kB systems. Hopefully version with no detection or version with improved one will work on your Atari.

F.

Ah! I did not know you had a revised 192K version.

It loads!

but no time to play until tonight :(

Thanks, _Fandal!

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1