IGNORED

BBS poll

Marius

Telnet BBS interesting yes or no?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth the effort to setup the Atari BBS? With other words: are you going to login when it is up and running?

• Yes, but just for fun; I'll log in once or twice, just to look around.
    • Yes, I'd like to connect frequently, and use the bbs for messageposting and/or up'n download and/or online games
    • No, because I don't know how to logon.
    • No, for any other reason.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi Folks,

My BBS is running a test setup. It has been up and running for 2 weeks now (not reachable from the outside yet)... and I found out I need more work on it.

It is really cool to work on it, and I think I will bring it up anyway.

But I was just curious. Who is still interested in a telnet bbs like this?

I saw not that much visitors on Boot Factory, or Inside The 8bit bbs.

Need people a tutorial on HOW to connect the BBS? Need a tutorial on using Bobterm on real a8 (or emulator)?

I took the BBS down in 2005, because of a few reasons. One of the reasons was a system crash. Now I have a brandnew harddisk, so I think that will not happen again soon (you'll never know).

The other reason was there were almost no people logging in the BBS.

And now I'm interested why is that?

Ofcourse I understand the BBS will never be able to replace a great forum like this. And that is not the target ofcourse. But I think it is also fun to discuss atari subjects on a real atari board, running on real atari equipment.

Besides that: I'll have some nice online games. Text based ofcourse, but fun. Perhaps it is an idea to setup a little game competition with people here? I think it is lot of fun playing 'kingdom' or blackjack with a few people and after a month there is a top #3 in the score, and we'll start over again.

So please let me know, if someone is interested.

If there are lots of people, I'm more motivated to work harder and quicker on it ofcourse :)

Thanks

Marius

I have the XM301 but you live in the Netherlands and I live in the US so that would make for high phone bill :( I would love to see your BBS!

The BBS is using TELNET.... through the internet (!).

So no outcalling connections through phoneline!

That makes a difference!

MArius

Need people a tutorial on HOW to connect the BBS? Need a tutorial on using Bobterm on real a8 (or emulator)?

Yes, thanks.

OK. As soon as I finished the BBS, I will write a tutorial here in this topic.

I can tell you already this. You can connect (telnet) in several ways:

1. Using real atari 8bit equipment using APE (with the R: handler enabled) or....

2. Using real atari 8bit with an R: interface (like atari 850 or blackbox or P:R: interface) + a Lantronix UDSxxx or MSSxxx device server (cool gadget by the way) or....

3. Using real atari 8bit with an R: interface + a nullmodem cable + third party PC software which allow you to connect telnet through nullmodem connection or...

4. On PC there is a program called ATS. That's a program that can be used to connect TELNET bbs's using an ATASCII font (very cool tool, you find it on http://www.atarimax.com)

5. On PC and Mac: emulator. With Bobterm you can connect through the R: driver (in the Emulator) or...

6. Using PC, all versions of windows contain Telnet, and I think linux too or... (My advice: hyperterminal) or...

7. Using Mac (on MacOSX there is 'Terminal' in which you can use TELNET command)

As you can see: there are lot of ways doing it.

But now I'll work on the BBS. It will take another few days I think.

Stay tuned for more info.

Thanks

Marius

I miss telnetting around, so I'd be using it. If you take any Linux/Unix courses, you rely heavily on telnet and text apps. Luckily I had a teacher that used text/telnet exclusively in the course. In linux, it's just terminal window, and you can work from there, and there's an app also for using telnet. You just specify what it asks for.

I was just telling a classmate today how using text apps=gold. Go figger :roll:

Plus it's getting really hard to get data to and from an A8. BBS'ing it is a great idea!

Nathan

Hi Folks,

At this moment it is 01:21 am, and I'm going to bed.

Tomorrow I will write a little tutorial on how to use and connect to the bbs.

For the people who are already curious. Try to use the link below. Copy the adress to your browser address bar.

telnet://ainside.no-ip.org

the BBS is running on real atari 8bit equipment.

Hostname: ainside.no-ip.org

Port: 23 (that is standard Telnet Port)

Try this with ATS from Atarimax (http://www.atarimax.com/atariterm/downloads/ats.exe)

tomorrow more info.

Time to sleep now!

Marius

When the link appears to be dead: this means there is someone logged on the BBS (or the BBS is doing some events)

Unfortunately the Lantronix Device can not reply with a "BUSY" message. So when the BBS is occupied, the link appears to be dead. Just try it again in a few minutes. Thanks

Edited by Marius1976

1. Using real atari 8bit equipment using APE (with the R: handler enabled) or....

2. Using real atari 8bit with an R: interface (like atari 850 or blackbox or P:R: interface) + a Lantronix UDSxxx or MSSxxx device server (cool gadget by the way) or....

3. Using real atari 8bit with an R: interface + a nullmodem cable + third party PC software which allow you to connect telnet through nullmodem connection or...

4. On PC there is a program called ATS. That's a program that can be used to connect TELNET bbs's using an ATASCII font (very cool tool, you find it on http://www.atarimax.com)

5. On PC and Mac: emulator. With Bobterm you can connect through the R: driver (in the Emulator) or...

6. Using PC, all versions of windows contain Telnet, and I think linux too or... (My advice: hyperterminal) or...

7. Using Mac (on MacOSX there is 'Terminal' in which you can use TELNET command)

8. Using real Atari 8-Bit with SIO2PC cable connected as terminal to your Linux box's serial port. Just boot your preferred terminal emulation program on the atari and log into you linux console. Then type: telnet ainside.no-ip.org

Regrading 1.: If you have APE running and your a8 connected to it, enable R: emulation (outgoing) and boot your preferred terminal emulation program on the atari. Then type: OPEN ainside.no-ip.org:23 (iirc, its been some time)

I prefer Ice-T XE on the a8, because of its good 80 columns display. The XE version needs 128k machine and is more stable. The older 48k version Ice-T800 works good for me, too if i limit connection speed to 4800 Baud.

Edited by Beetle

I logged on using hyperterminal in windows and it seems to work great! takes a minute to reconnect, though. Neat stuff!

nathan

The re-connect thing is only the first time :)

In the past I had to update a new account manually, but I noticed this does cost 'new users' ... they simply didn't connect ever.

So -thanks to Stephen J. Carden- there is now this Auto Update tool for the BBS system. To be safe I let the BBS log you out, and run the update software. It should be possible to do it even without the logging-out, but I had some unexpected problems then.

Nice to see you folks online!

Marius

8. Using real Atari 8-Bit with SIO2PC cable connected as terminal to your Linux box's serial port. Just boot your preferred terminal emulation program on the atari and log into you linux console. Then type: telnet ainside.no-ip.org

Please tell me more about that. You use the Sio2PC cable as null-modem cable in this way. Where do you type that 'telnet ainside.no-ip.org' ? On the atari side or on the Linux side?

And how do you connect through a COM port on your linux console? Simply by pressing a key?

It sounds interesting!

Regrading 1.: If you have APE running and your a8 connected to it, enable R: emulation (outgoing) and boot your preferred terminal emulation program on the atari. Then type: OPEN ainside.no-ip.org:23 (iirc, its been some time)

I'm not sure about the ':' after .org. Since 23 is the default you could leave it.

so OPEN ainside.no-ip.org should do the trick.

As far as I know ape comes (came in the past for sure) with an atr with BOBTERM. In my opinion that is the BEST (atascii) terminal software (perhaps even the best atari tool) ever released for atari 8bit.

After booting bobterm it boots the 850 loader itself from APE or 850.

But ok... the tutorial comes in a few hours.

I prefer Ice-T XE on the a8, because of its good 80 columns display. The XE version needs 128k machine and is more stable. The older 48k version Ice-T800 works good for me, too if i limit connection speed to 4800 Baud.

I agree! It is fantastic, but for some strange reason I can't use Ice-T with my genuine atari 850 with my Lantronix. I'm not sure if that is a driver problem in the 850, or a setting in the lantronix. I'll try the 850 with another serial device and ICE-T.

By the way you really 'should' try bobterm on the BBS. Then you have ATASCII. It's much faster (comparing to ANSI) and it looks amazing cool.

Now I'm gone.

Marius

p.s. I was very proud to see some people actually did test the bbs... and even prouder the BBS did not CRASH hehehe.

I'll make some pictures of the system today. You all will be amazed (I hope!)

Sorry for the double post. Wanted to say something about Linux. I was able to get my ST (not the A8 *yet*) to talk to linux just fine. Linux just needed to be told to listen to the serial port. I'm really tired, and there are lots of online tutorials to do this easily. After that, I booted up the ST with the term cart and hit enter a few times, and it connected. I faitly remember I had to play with the baud speed, but it was really no big deal.

Can't wait to see the pics!!

Nathan

/edit: I informed the vintage computer forum, www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum, and they will soon be battering down your bandwidth. Wanna see demand? I'm a vintage user, and I love this stuff!

Edited by nathanallan

Little Tutorial - How To Connect A Telnet BBS on Atari

As told before there are at least 8 ways of connecting the BBS. In this DOC I describe 3 ways. You can chose the one you like most ofcourse. Or try them all hehe.

First thing: today I tried to make a connection using Emulator on windows, but as far as I know the Windows atari emulator only supports incoming connections, not outgoing. So that makes it not possible to call the atari bbs using the atari emulator for windows. (But with ATS you can... read on for that).

1. Using APE (I'm using 3.0.2) + Real atari 8bit

*. After starting Ape, go to het "MODEMS" menu, and chose: Configure APE R: device.

*. In het configuration menu set Modem Mode to "Client mode (Outbound Only) Telnet interface"

*. If you like you could set up a favorite BBS to call in the default destination host line. (this could be any telnet adress you like)

*. Click the OK button.

*. Put the Bobterm disk on D1: (you'll find this atr with the APE package, normally stored in \Program Files\ Ape for Windows\Images\ATR\bobtermxxx.atr

*. Switch on your Atari (without Basic!), and now bobterm boots.

*. After a while bobterm is started an you hear a 2 sec. high sound (that's Bobterming downloading the R: driver into your atari 8bit computer)

USING BOBTERM

You'll see a menu. Lots of options. For now you don't need all these options. Let's try to setup a connection with my BBS.

*. First set "Translation" to ATARI by pressing the A key. In the statusbar you'll read what translation is enabled. As soon as the statusbar reads "Atari" it is ok to go.

*. Press Return to enter the Terminal screen.

*. If you like to see the APE Client menu type ?

*. To make connection type in:

OPEN ainside.no-ip.org (and press return)

*. If everything is ok, the connection is setup. I think the BBS itself clear enough to understand, but if there are any questions feel free to ask. If you get a connection error (or a dead connection) the BBS is probably occupied by another "caller" or perhaps doing some events. IN that case: try again later.

*. To get back in Bobterms menu, press the START key.

*. You can save any changes (like screen color, translation etc.) by using option J (system config) followed by option 3 (save default parameters). WARNING: the ATR disk is write protected, so disable the write protection!

2. Using telnet on PC

USING DEFAULT TELNET CLIENT:

*. My BBS is compatible with the default telnet client of Windows (except for up and downloading files, which is not supported by the default telnet client in Windows).

*. To start this go to START menu

*. Chose "RUN" (or what it is in your language)

*. Type in: telnet ainside.no-ip.org (and press enter)

*. If everything is ok, you get connected now. If you get a connection error (or a dead connection) the BBS is probably occupied by another "caller" or perhaps doing some events. IN that case: try again later.

USING HYPERTERMINAL (better!)

On my PC I have windows 2000. I have Hyperterminal on it, and that is a better choice.

*. Start Hyperterminal, and set your home-details.

*. Chose NEW CONNECTION and name it. I'd say "BBS The Atari Inside" and click OK

*. In the dialog window, go to the pull down menu at the bottom (it reads probably COM1 or something like it). Set this menu to TCP/IP (Winsock)

*. Now setup HOSTADRESS (same window) to ainside.no-ip.org

*. Leave the PORT to 23.

*. When things are setup right, and you press OK hyperterminal is going to connect!

*. After you connected go to File and properties and change Terminal Settings "ANSIW" to "ANSI"... The BBS clear screen codes are not compatible with "ANSIW" so please change that.

*. You are able to save settings for this BBS, so you are able to re-connect the BBS again without doing the settings.

*. If you get a connection error (or a dead connection) the BBS is probably occupied by another "caller" or perhaps doing some events. IN that case: try again later.

3. Using ATS (a PC tool)

If you don't have the real thing, and you want to have the real feel of 40 column width atasci connection, you definately should try ATS.

*. Download ATS here: http://www.atarimax.com/atariterm/downloads/ats.exe

*. Run the installer, and when finished run Atari Terminal Simulator.

*. Go to the "Connect TO" menu and chose Telnet -> connect to Remote Host.

*. In the menu click on the Empty bar at the bottom of the Host list.

*. Type in the left placeholder: ainside.no-ip.org

*. Leave the portnumber to 23

*. Name the BBS at the right side "BBS The Atari Inside"

*. Click on "Save as new"

*. Click on Connect, and the connection will be made! If you get a connection error (or a dead connection) the BBS is probably occupied by another "caller" or perhaps doing some events. IN that case: try again later.

Have fun!

Visiting the BBS is for fun ofcourse, and if things don't work or you are having other problems with the connection, or the BBS... please let me know, perhaps I can help!

If you want to connect this BBS by an ATARI 8bit STAND-ALONE system. You will need some RS232 -> Ethernet device (like the Lantronix) and R: interface (like atari 850). Lantronix devices are on ebay around the 100$US (you'll need UDS10, UDS1100 or MSS100 or other compatible device; I like the MSS100 most). It might be harder to get an atari 850 or other R: device... but give it a try. It is really VERY cool to do this on real thing.

For now: have fun.

I'll make some BBS pictures later!

Marius

Some pics

For all people who are interested in this: 3 pictuers of my BBS setup.

1: Setup.

Here you see my Atari 800Xl with BlackBox (the thing behind the atari). It is connected to a VGA monitor, using a TV-box (Comp. Video -> VGA adapter).

At the left you see a Maxtor IDE harddrive and a Syquest Removable 200MB scsi. Both connected to the BlackBox.

At the right you see a Sio2PC interface made by Steven J. Tucker (Atarimax). It is connected to a very old laptop for just one reason: it downloads the RIGHT time every hour. It is hard to keep the right time with all the data I/O on the BBS. After a few logins the time is already a few minutes behind.

BBS-SETUP.jpg

2: Lantronix (RS232 -> Ethernet adaptor) MSS100.

This is a very nice gadget. It acts like a modem (accepts AT commands like any Hayes compatible modem) and uses TCP/IP to make the connection (Telnet protocol) in stead of PhoneLine. It is rather good compatible with real modems. Only thing missing is the "busy" message when someone connects, and it is already occupied. Besides that: a real wanna have for any BBS'ing Atari 8bit owner. (the MSS100 uses Null Modem cable in stead of normal, in fact the MSS100 provides a COM port on distance.....)

LANTRONIX.jpg

3: TV BOX

Here is a little unsharp pic of my TV box. This converts the Comp. Video (yellow plug) from my 800XL to the VGA screen.

It also supports SuperVideo, but my S-video cable is gone.

It is a nice box. It supports PAL, NTSC and Secam video. Only problem: the VGA output is in a rather uncommon resolution/frequency ... most screens do not recognise the signal, and do not switch to showing the image. My older HP VGA screen does...

TV-VGA.jpg

If you want to know more about one of the components... feel free to ask!

Greetz

Marius

I'd love to try this, but I'm at work and my 8-bit is at home. :(

So I'm trying to connect from Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) using Atari800 emulator v 2.0.2 and Bob Term 1.20

Supposedly, I should be able to connect like this, but nothing happens:

ATDL

ATDI AINSIDE.NO-IP.ORG 23

Any tips?

Thanks.

I'd love to try this, but I'm at work and my 8-bit is at home. :(

So I'm trying to connect from Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) using Atari800 emulator v 2.0.2 and Bob Term 1.20

Supposedly, I should be able to connect like this, but nothing happens:

ATDL

ATDI AINSIDE.NO-IP.ORG 23

Any tips?

Thanks.

Are you sure the linux version of the emulator is able to do an outgoing connection?

If that is sure possible you have to know when Bobterm is in ATASCII mode (ATARI mode) you have to press CONTROL + M in stead of RETURN... I'm not sure if that is also in Emulator ATDI command, but on real atari my MODEM does not respond to RETURN, only to control M.

To be safe you might want to try ASCII mode first.

Then forget about the 23 ... it is not needed, so that makes the chance on an error less.

Perhaps there was a user online when you tried?

Try it on the linux telnet console. If you are able to connect then, you are pretty sure the bbs will be ready for you.

Last hint

You could use the EDIT LINE in bobterm... that makes it easier to send commands

If you are in the terminal window press SHIFT + CONTROL + E

Now you have a chat-edit-line. Type your commands there

then you are also able to use normal RETURN key.

I still am not sure if Linux version can call out. The MAC OS X version can...

Good luck!

Marius