IGNORED

Satandisk SD/MMC card HD interface

Well, I got mine in the mail. And boy oh boy is it cool! :cool:

I am using HDDRIVER 8.2 with it and have been able to setup and use a variety of SD and MMC cards. I did get some errors along the way, but everything seems to have worked out fine. I'm also using pperas drimus utility which allows me to take the card out of the Satandisk and pop it into my PC card reader to really easily add or extract files from it. This combo is the most unbelievably easiest way of transferring data around between the PC/ST that I've ever used. It would be nice if drimus could copy entire directories and their contents (it doesn't seem to be able to) but I've got around that by zipping the more file intensive stuff.

I've put some of the great HD fixed stuff that Dbug has been doing on there as well and some works some doesn't. Not sure if its because of the unit itself or HDDRIVER, as I my other HDs use the ICD Pro utils. I also noticed that Neodesk3 craps out when I try to click an HD icon, and that Neodesk4 seems to be having issues running apps. Will have to look at this stuff further though.

So did anyone else order one / get theirs? :)

I ordered mine, but it has yet to get here :( I've been reading the posts on it over at atari-forum and seems HDDRIVER is the only thing that will work with it effectively. I'm hoping the Satandisk+ will come around, and have it's own proven driver. I know HDDRIVER isn't the only one for it, but by the reading, it's the only one that works well. I kinda don't wanna spend much more on it (HDDRIVER) is all.

here's to waiting.

Nathan

I ordered mine, but it has yet to get here :( I've been reading the posts on it over at atari-forum and seems HDDRIVER is the only thing that will work with it effectively. I'm hoping the Satandisk+ will come around, and have it's own proven driver. I know HDDRIVER isn't the only one for it, but by the reading, it's the only one that works well. I kinda don't wanna spend much more on it (HDDRIVER) is all.

here's to waiting.

Nathan

I'm waiting for mine also. I'll be using HDDRIVER also, and will try to get my Spectre to boot off it too...I think I have another week to go before it shows up. What brand of SD Card are you using?

I'm waiting for mine also. I'll be using HDDRIVER also, and will try to get my Spectre to boot off it too...I think I have another week to go before it shows up. What brand of SD Card are you using?

Well, I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that I've used it with 100% success so far with Spectre. Formatted the SD card, made two partitions, had Spectre format the second partition HFS, and voila! :)

What you may not be so happy to hear is that the plug for the Satandisk is so large that it blocks part of the floppy port. So either I dremel off part of the metal and plastic housing for the Satandisk cable, or I can't use the loopback GCR connection to read HFS disks. Luckily I had some working Spectre format ones to try it with :)

So far I've used Lexar MMC (256)/SD (64/128) and a PQI SD (1GB)

The Satandisk has some strangeness with formatting/partitioning but if you follow the quick guide and reboot the ST when it says it should work OK.

here's to waiting.

Nathan

None, yet. I don't have any, was planning on getting one or two after the thing gets here. What brand do you recommend? I've heard good things about Kingston.

Nathan

Mine got here yesterday, and it sure is neat. I went looking around and found that I *do* have a 128mb Lexar card for it. I remembered it whilst looking through a bunch of dead machines and it was inside a toasted pda. Now to find a power supply and figure out how to get a driver for it.

I spent a bundle on it, and really don't want to pay more for a driver. Times are tough and I get yelled at for buying toys like this one. Luckily, I have a 1040stfm that has a seemingly working floppy drive.

let me give you an idea what this is like for me.

Download stuff from net. Main net PC has no fdd.

transfer to smartmedia

take smartmedia to laptop, use pcmcia adapter to load onto laptop that has fdd

use 720k disks and transfer stuff from SMC to floppy

take to ST and use stuff.

Yes, as soon as I get the satandisk to work, it'll save me a LOT of work.

I've put some of the great HD fixed stuff that Dbug has been doing on there as well and some works some doesn't. Not sure if its because of the unit itself or HDDRIVER, as I my other HDs use the ICD Pro utils.

D-Bug HD stuff not working is probably due to excessive buffers which HDDriver uses. Try setting HDDrive to use minimum buffers (put 999 in data and caches in the HDDriver setup program).

Let me know how you get on.

Grz

D-Bug HD stuff not working is probably due to excessive buffers which HDDriver uses. Try setting HDDrive to use minimum buffers (put 999 in data and caches in the HDDriver setup program).

Thanks for the suggestion. I set it that way and it reports it is using 67K in its minimum setting now.

These work fine:

Another World

Afterburner

Damocles

Stuntcar

These give 11 bombs:

RVF

Starglider II

Xenon II

For reference this ST is a 520STfm with 2.5MB RAM, and TOS 1.02 I believe. I am using the Satandisk with a 1GB SD card, and HDDRIVER 8.20. I can't say for sure if the games above would work correctly on this system with another HD/driver set, as I've mostly played them all on my Falcon :)

Well, we can't support what we don't have :). Consider the games working as "bonus" :)

Understandable :) But hopefully something can be done to get the non-working stuff going. I'd really like to use this machine, and the Satandisk is just too cool! ;)

RVF

Starglider II

Xenon II

For reference this ST is a 520STfm with 2.5MB RAM, and TOS 1.02 I believe. I am using the Satandisk with a 1GB SD card, and HDDRIVER 8.20. I can't say for sure if the games above would work correctly on this system with another HD/driver set, as I've mostly played them all on my Falcon :)

The above 3 games that we Falcon/HD fixed require 4mb of memory.

CJ

The above 3 games that we Falcon/HD fixed require 4mb of memory.

DOH! RTFM! :-o That would explain that then. LOL Hmm, maybe I should research modern memory upgrades. This baby is my original ST from back in the day though. Boy was I cruising with 2.5MB RAM then. ;)

Oh, and thanks again Dbug guys! :cool:

These give 11 bombs:

RVF

Starglider II

Xenon II

For reference this ST is a 520STfm with 2.5MB RAM, and TOS 1.02 I believe. I am using the Satandisk with a 1GB SD card, and HDDRIVER 8.20. I can't say for sure if the games above would work correctly on this system with another HD/driver set, as I've mostly played them all on my Falcon :)...

Understandable :) But hopefully something can be done to get the non-working stuff going. I'd really like to use this machine, and the Satandisk is just too cool! ;)

There are couple things from me which may help:

Hard disk driver, which is not tested yet with Satandisk, but should work (chance for you to be tester :-) ). It works with DOS partitioned disks, for easy file transfer. Memory usage is low, even with BigDOS together. :

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11905

Some games for hard disk run, without need for 4MB:

http://www.ppest.org/atari/fromhd.php

+ of course this: http://www.ppest.org/atari/imgrun.php

here's a link to buy hhdriver:

http://www.seimet.de/atari/en/hddriver.html

But the actual hardware has already been through the order/manufacture/sendout process. I don't know if you can still buy one. There are ideas to make a second run (it's open source) or you could make your own. Here's a link to the manual online:

http://joo.kie.sk/satandisk/manual.htm

and you can backwards navigate from there.

Hope this helps!

Nathan

There are couple things from me which may help:

Hard disk driver, which is not tested yet with Satandisk, but should work (chance for you to be tester :-) ). It works with DOS partitioned disks, for easy file transfer. Memory usage is low, even with BigDOS together. :

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11905

Cool, I will definitely try this out on the Satandisk. :cool:

Some games for hard disk run, without need for 4MB:

http://www.ppest.org/atari/fromhd.php

+ of course this: http://www.ppest.org/atari/imgrun.php

That stuff looks awesome. B17 and F19 - I am so there! :D

Ok, I gave this a spin on the Satandisk. I've got a 1GB FAT16 formatted SD card in it.

If I make a boot floppy with ACSIDP4.PRG and BIGDOS in the AUTO folder, it does seem to work properly.

If I run AUTOB4 it sees the SD and installs. If I put BIGDOS in the AUTO folder on the SD it doesn't seem to load. If I run BIGDOS from floppy after the AUTOB4 install, it does load and looks like it sees the SD and then my ST goes wacky. I can select the desktop menus, but I can't click drive icons or move windows, or click on anything in a window properly.

here's a link to buy hhdriver:

http://www.seimet.de/atari/en/hddriver.html

But the actual hardware has already been through the order/manufacture/sendout process. I don't know if you can still buy one. There are ideas to make a second run (it's open source) or you could make your own. Here's a link to the manual online:

http://joo.kie.sk/satandisk/manual.htm

and you can backwards navigate from there.

Hope this helps!

Nathan

Thanks!

tjb

Ok, I gave this a spin on the Satandisk. I've got a 1GB FAT16 formatted SD card in it.

If I make a boot floppy with ACSIDP4.PRG and BIGDOS in the AUTO folder, it does seem to work properly.

If I run AUTOB4 it sees the SD and installs. If I put BIGDOS in the AUTO folder on the SD it doesn't seem to load. If I run BIGDOS from floppy after the AUTOB4 install, it does load and looks like it sees the SD and then my ST goes wacky. I can select the desktop menus, but I can't click drive icons or move windows, or click on anything in a window properly.

I tested loading BigDOS on partition of max. 511MB. Maybe with 1GB trick works not - since TOS supports max. 512MB without BigDOS. BigDOS must be started from AUTO folder (otherwise machine goes crazy, freezes).

Other thing: after first boot, you need to restart ST once again - at first boot it will load AUTO program from floppy A, even if hard disk driver is just installed. Best is to have BigDOS both on floppy and hard drive (in AUTO folders of course). If it still not loads BigDOS from hard disk, then 1GB is problem.

Did you format SD with Win XP? (If not, maybe is worth to put 2-4 partitions on - with Fdisk or some other proggy on PC).

Btw. I prepare better solution: special, compatible partitioning which will not require BigDOS. It will be fully DOS/Windows/Linux compatible and will work fast on ST (as hard disk is fast). It will be not free very likely, since partitioning program is not simple (I still work on), but will be much cheaper than hddriver.

In any case, it is good that it works with Satandisk for forst release, since, as I read many drivers work not.

Btw. I prepare better solution: special, compatible partitioning which will not require BigDOS. It will be fully DOS/Windows/Linux compatible and will work fast on ST (as hard disk is fast). It will be not free very likely, since partitioning program is not simple (I still work on), but will be much cheaper than hddriver.

In any case, it is good that it works with Satandisk for forst release, since, as I read many drivers work not

This will be very welcome, and I'd gladly pay for it (just not about 60USD that hddriver charges). I get into trouble buying toys, and the more expensive it is the more I get yelled at :( Imagine the storm after I got the satandisk--!

But it would be great to have a driver that just goes. I've been following the discussions and haven't totally hooked up the ST, waiting for a solution that doesn't involve writing out floppies. Long story, there.

And the Linux compatability will be awesome! ppera, here'sa project of mine(involving the ST and a Xenix machine):

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/sh...read.php?t=8416

Nathan

/edit also part of the goal is to have the ST have its satandisk attached as a kind of networked storage. Same for the hdd's on the other machines attached. And once I get a small lan established, turn it into a wan, with online access (somehow)

Edited by nathanallan

I tested loading BigDOS on partition of max. 511MB. Maybe with 1GB trick works not - since TOS supports max. 512MB without BigDOS. BigDOS must be started from AUTO folder (otherwise machine goes crazy, freezes).

Yeah, thats exactly what happens.

Other thing: after first boot, you need to restart ST once again - at first boot it will load AUTO program from floppy A, even if hard disk driver is just installed. Best is to have BigDOS both on floppy and hard drive (in AUTO folders of course). If it still not loads BigDOS from hard disk, then 1GB is problem.

It never seems to load BigDOS from the HD Auto folder. Having both the driver and BigDOS in floppy auto works, but after the second warm reset, the driver loads again and tries to make a 'D' partition which is incorrect.

Did you format SD with Win XP? (If not, maybe is worth to put 2-4 partitions on - with Fdisk or some other proggy on PC).

Yes, I used XP which won't allow SD card partitioning. I just went to another computer and booted Ubuntu from a flash drive (that never gets old :)) and partitioned the 1GB SD card into two FAT16 partitions. Windows recognized the first one correctly (~471GB), but when I boot the driver/BigDOS floppy with this card in the Satandisk, the driver reports it as C:971GB which isn't right and then BigDOS freaks out and says 'BigDOS: FAT start of C: shall be $F8' and hangs. (?) I tried making the partitions with HDDRIVER before, but it kept telling me that it was 'only Magic/Mint' compatible and didn't work right so I went to Linux to do it.

In any case, it is good that it works with Satandisk for forst release, since, as I read many drivers work not.

Yes, no other drivers I have work - so this one working is a good sign :D

@remowilliams

I did some tests and made better autoboot installer - it now will load AUTO from C straight after first boot.

May get it from same thread in another Atari forum http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11905

Checked AUTO (BigDOS) load with 1GB partition: it works under TOS 2.06 and 1.04, but not with old TOS 1.02. So, it is the problem.

Bigdos always complains if founds not correct FAT start. It shows that TOS 1.02 can not work at all even with 500MB partition without BigDOS.

At this point I have no solution. Only that you upgrade to newer TOS (1.04) or use floppy for install or wait for BigDOS-less solution.

PS: or maybe to try with some small C partition - 60MB for instance... - PS2: tried - works not, not even with 30MB.

Linux compability: actually it required nothing additional (except couple tests). Linux just works fine with DOS partitioned drives.

Edited by ppera

@remowilliams

I did some tests and made better autoboot installer - it now will load AUTO from C straight after first boot.

May get it from same thread in another Atari forum http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11905

Checked AUTO (BigDOS) load with 1GB partition: it works under TOS 2.06 and 1.04, but not with old TOS 1.02. So, it is the problem.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to upgrade TOS. Whenever I need a better version I use your awesome SELTOS and just boot 2.06 :D Doing that works just fine as well using the HD driver and BigDOS floppy boot.

I'll try that new version you have, as AUTO never loaded from C. When I boot HD driver now from Satandisk and then it loads BigDOS from A AUTO the machine always freaks out.

Say - I've been using your HD converted games as well, any chance of you changing that F19 pack to run at 60Hz? :ponder: :)

Well I tried the new version and its not working correctly so far. I formatted the 256MB SD card, and booted a floppy with ACSIDP_4.PRG and BigDOS in AUTO. HD driver loads, then BigDOS loads and says "FAT start of A: shall be $F9" and the system locks up. :?:

EDIT: Okay, I got that straighened out by responding 'Y' to write whatever BigDOS wanted to write (?). The new HD driver does attempt to load BigDOS from AUTO on the Satandisk, but I just get three bombs.

Edited by remowilliams

Well I tried the new version and its not working correctly so far. I formatted the 256MB SD card, and booted a floppy with ACSIDP_4.PRG and BigDOS in AUTO. HD driver loads, then BigDOS loads and says "FAT start of A: shall be $F9" and the system locks up. :?:

EDIT: Okay, I got that straighened out by responding 'Y' to write whatever BigDOS wanted to write (?). The new HD driver does attempt to load BigDOS from AUTO on the Satandisk, but I just get three bombs.

Maybe I was not clear enough: with TOS 1.02 loading of BigDOS from C:\AUTO works not. Did you try with 2.06 (installed in RAM)?

To make F19 run at 60Hz we need only one command (add to source, then assemble): MOVE.B #2,$FF820A.W

I added launcher for 60Hz in archive: F19RD60.TOS